View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM
drnict61's PC Specs

POST ID # = 892359
drnict61 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Wildly fluctuating temperatures, particularly at stock settings and a near idle power state, are usually indicative of a contact problem between the cold plate and CPU. Steadier but high idle/load temperatures usually indicate they are not touching fully. Completely bizarre, seemingly random CPU core temps usually means you have too much TIM material and are witnessing the expansion and collapse of air bubbles in the material. I think either way you need to take off the pump block and take a peek. If the TIM never spread, no physical contact. If it is everywhere and spread heavily, even off to the sides of the socket, probably too much.
Every time I take the block off to reapply its /perfectly/ spread across without going over the edges or being too thinly spread. The fit is tight, I can hardly wiggle it. The spread indicated that it's on there perfectly. I want to believe this to be the problem but there's nothing supporting it other than wild temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom2pro View Post
Could also indicate a sporadic pump, either not pumping thoroughly or at all intermittently.
I use corsair link to verify the pump is functioning at 3,000 rpm (which I believe is max) and I can feel the pump always working by putting my hand on the block. Also, one tube is hot water, one tube is cold water, and I can feel a distinct difference