Corsair Community

Commander pro fans "disappearing" in iCUE

sausje

Hello everyone,

So I recently got myself the 500D RGB SE case. With that, I got myself 2 more 140LL and 3 more 120LL fans.

Now it all works fine and ok-ish, until I try and do stuff related to fan speeds.

Somehow my commander just keeps disappearing in iCUE, though only the fan speed part.

I've checked all cables a couple of times and this didn't happen when I finish building it about 1.5 weeks ago. It just randomly started happening.

Here's a short video displaying the issue:

[ame]

[/ame]

On the latest software with the latest firmware.

Attached is a "pro" drawing of how it's all setup inside my case.

Thanks in advance!

fawadad.thumb.png.d3ea0ad4ab9e05f665e6efe4a92222ab.png

OK. That's weird.

I see a bunch of stuff in your system tray ... do you have any other monitoring software running in there? I couldn't quite make them all out.

Yes, I've got HWinfo sensors running, though I have disabled the option "CorsairLink and Asetek Support". Because I presumed that it might be the issue.

I've also got RTSS, although I couldn't find anything that could be interfering.

I also think CAM software does some monitoring (needed for my NZXT Kraken, don't like the huge Corsair branding on yours sorry!), and so does my AI Suite 3 from my ASUS mb software.

But I've tried turning them all off and it would still happen.

The odd thing that I've noticed is that when booting the PC, windows gives a notification sound that a device is connected. Then shortly after a device disconnect sound and suddenly you see the fan colors go the correct color.

Yeah I saw that when googling the issue, that's when I disabled it.

Running version 5.90-3550. Persistent driver turned off (meaning the driver shouldn't be installed when the program isn't running), and ofc the "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" turned off.

What logs would you need, if it contains any sensitive info, I would rather not post it online for everyone to see though.

After updating HWinfo (and turning off persistent driver and a reboot) the issue is suddenly gone.

I cannot reproduce it anymore. At least, I could try reverting all settings but honestly, it's working now and I don't really want to mess around with it.

But I presume it was the persistent driver option, as that's the only change that happened today (and a version update of hwinfo).

Yes, it was the persistent driver; it must have been connecting to the Commander Pro. These devices can only handle one client at a time - so when 2 apps are connecting, as soon as they clash (trying to access the device at the same time), things go downhill

• 4 months later...

I'm back with the same issue, on 6.02

It was fixed for months and now suddenly after updating, the same issue is back, even with the exact same settings.

However, my standpoint has changed. HWINFO64 is a FREE program and iCUE comes with something I paid (in total) hundreds of euro's for.

So I expect you guys to provide a fix for this and make sure it's not happening anymore.

As someone that paid for your product a hefty price (vs other brands), I'm now making a demand to fix this issue.

I NEED HWINFO64 for certain readings, unless you can provide the exact same functionality within iCUE, I will need to use it and you'll have to find a way to make both programs work nicely with each other.

Edit: it wasn't the same settings, it turned out it did reset and I completely forgot the "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" setting in the "safety" tab.

Still, I stand by my point. It's Corsair their task to make both work nicely, as Corsair is a paid product, whereas the other is free.

Edited by sausje

Maybe Corsair could "detect" if HWINFO is running during setup and display a warning?

Something like:

ICUE Setup has detected HWINFO running which may interfere with ICUE. Please ensure you disable "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" in the HWINFO settings if you notice any problems.

This won't work if HWINFO is not running but I think performing a disk search for the program or scanning "Installed Programs and Features" is going a bit too far (time wise).

I'm back with the same issue, on 6.02

It was fixed for months and now suddenly after updating, the same issue is back, even with the exact same settings.

However, my standpoint has changed. HWINFO64 is a FREE program and iCUE comes with something I paid (in total) hundreds of euro's for.

So I expect you guys to provide a fix for this and make sure it's not happening anymore.

As someone that paid for your product a hefty price (vs other brands), I'm now making a demand to fix this issue.

I NEED HWINFO64 for certain readings, unless you can provide the exact same functionality within iCUE, I will need to use it and you'll have to find a way to make both programs work nicely with each other.

Edit: it wasn't the same settings, it turned out it did reset and I completely forgot the "CorsairLink and Asetek Support" setting in the "safety" tab.

Still, I stand by my point. It's Corsair their task to make both work nicely, as Corsair is a paid product, whereas the other is free.

Maybe ... just maybe ... HWInfo shouldn't connect to devices that already have control software and where connecting to the device causes an issue? I don't understand why you insist on being angry with Corsair because a 3rd party app is doing something to their hardware that's known to cause problems.

This exact same problem will happen with any USB-based device that HWInfo connects to, not just the Corsair stuff. It's a hardware limitation based on the USB/HID interface.

Corsair did, at one time, have a global lock to control access to the device. That was removed well over a year ago because the latency that it introduced didn't allow for them to control their devices.

I currently have the same issue going on with iCUE but my fans intermittently ramp and down speeds every 5 seconds at idle or load as well. It was working fine the past few days of owning the commander and all of a sudden this. Uninstalling every system monitor also did not help. The problem still occurs.

I currently have the same issue going on with iCUE but my fans intermittently ramp and down speeds every 5 seconds at idle or load as well. It was working fine the past few days of owning the commander and all of a sudden this. Uninstalling every system monitor also did not help. The problem still occurs.

Are you using one of the built-in fan curves for the Commander Pro? If so, that's the problem. They are tied to CPU Package temp, which is wildly variable with modern processors. Create your own fan curve and base it on a variable that's a little more stable ... the included thermistors are excellent for this.

Are you using one of the built-in fan curves for the Commander Pro? If so, that's the problem. They are tied to CPU Package temp, which is wildly variable with modern processors. Create your own fan curve and base it on a variable that's a little more stable ... the included thermistors are excellent for this.

I was using the built in curve before. Guess I’ll give your advice a shot when I get home from work. Thanks. I’ll keep you guys updated

Looks like the issue is solved with custom fan curves. Kind of odd this issue wasn't happening before. I really wish I was able to use HWiNFO. Really bums me out.

You can use HWInfo, you just need to disable the Asetek/Link support. If you do that, it'll be fine. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I just got a Corsair setup with 3 LL120s and 2 non-Corsair fans. One of the fans is mounted on my H60 radiator and the fan connector plugged directly into CPU Fan on the motherboard the rest are plugged into the Commander Pro.

I woke up this morning to check on it and find out my CPU is running at ~90c for who knows how long. I really don't care who's at fault or whatever but Corsair does need to address this issue better. Had my H60 fan been plugged into the Commander Pro it could've fried the CPU!

This has from what I've seen been a problem for over a year and it's detrimental to any computers health if the fans stop adjusting.