Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

3. Planning a push/pull 480GTX in front and would like to push/pull 420GTX in the top, seems there might be some issues with fitment. Any confirmation on that? Is it possible?

I was originally thinking of getting HWL but there seems to be an issue with putting 2 of them side by side due to width, that’s why I ended up going with with Alpha.

Now the Corsair rads are out and I believe they’re actually made by HWL *and* they seem to be a little narrower so no width issue it looks like.

One caveat - I still didn’t buy them because I wanted to route some tubing at the top. The Corsair/HWL 480s are 55mm thick. You can use them for both top and bottom (you need to get that other top tray tho) but I believe the spacing will require that the ports on the front rad be towards the bottom of the case where I wanted them on top. In order to do what I wanted I could have no more than 30mm thickness up top.

If you’re ok with routing tube to the bottom of the case I think you’ll be solid.

I can can confirm, and will put this in caps.....DO NOT BUY HWL NEMESIS GTS RADS for dual mounting on the 8x120mm front fan tray. I picked up two of the 480s and they will not fit. Due to the extra width of the design (they are 133mm wide) there is not enough clearance for the screws to mount to the tray. If Corsair had opened the screw pattern up even 1 or 2 millimeters they would work fine. But for now I am sitting here with two useless and scratched up rads from trying to figure this out.

I am really starting to see the differences between Corsair and Phanteks in the top end case market. While my Enthoo Elite was twice as expensive, the documentation and build quality differences are painfully obvious. So far I’m rather disappointed with the 1000D.

I own a GTS360 myself, the reason it peforms so well in benchmarks is they basically put a 140mm wide core into it. It has 2 more water channels than most rads of the same length. The GTS is a great rad, but far from a standard FF.

Yeah, I LOVE the GTS rads and have used them in all my previous builds. But I guess these will go into the stockpile or I will turn around and do a scratch and dent sale. Hint hint. :)

On the brighter side of things, in my search for a replacement I learned of the Alphacool Nexxxos V2. It’s multiple ports and flush plugs should make for some fun loop design. What sold me was the addition of another port on the bottom for draining the rad. Why hasn’t any other manufacturer done this yet? It’s brilliant. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on them and seeing what I can come up with. Dealing with all the RGB wires, not so much. :)

Yeah, I LOVE the GTS rads and have used them in all my previous builds. But I guess these will go into the stockpile or I will turn around and do a scratch and dent sale. Hint hint. :)

On the brighter side of things, in my search for a replacement I learned of the Alphacool Nexxxos V2. It’s multiple ports and flush plugs should make for some fun loop design. What sold me was the addition of another port on the bottom for draining the rad. Why hasn’t any other manufacturer done this yet? It’s brilliant. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on them and seeing what I can come up with. Dealing with all the RGB wires, not so much. :)

I have 4 of these (Nexxxos v2) in my build and am happy. I have 2 60mm and 2 30mm. The port placement is only on the front and back so it allows you to rotate the rads, but that’s pretty much it. Would have been nice if the had ports on the top just to provide more options. The flush plugs are great. Not sure if you noticed but they also added little flaps to the grill to increase surface area. Also the drain port on the bottom is great - I have 2 of my 3 drain lines coming off of those. Also the rads look great because of the simple square shape; some rads look a little too busy from a sideways perspective to me!

Edit - just realized that not all rads have the inlet and outlet on both sides and that I had been taking that for granted. That said, yeah it’s pretty cool to have 4 useable ports on each rad - still wish they had ports on top too though. I’m using some of those extra ports with air exhaust fittings for use when draining the system.

Edited by eisenb11

Please could someone give me some details about using the vertical GPU mount.... what length of riser cable is needed? And how does this fit... can you secure it down or is the GPU basically a little hanging loose apart from where it screws in to the back of the case.

Please could someone give me some details about using the vertical GPU mount.... what length of riser cable is needed? And how does this fit... can you secure it down or is the GPU basically a little hanging loose apart from where it screws in to the back of the case.

In my 1000D there is no dedicated spot on the PSU shroud to mount a riser cable and PCIE bracket so I’m guessing it’s purely mounted on the back of the case. My previous case, a Fractal Define R6, has two dedicated stand offs for mounted the riser to for vertical GPU mounting. In this case the PSU shroud is dedicated to being a platform for the second system in an ITX format to mount to. I will try to get some detailed pics of that area and post them here so you can visualize it better.

In my 1000D there is no dedicated spot on the PSU shroud to mount a riser cable and PCIE bracket so I’m guessing it’s purely mounted on the back of the case. My previous case, a Fractal Define R6, has two dedicated stand offs for mounted the riser to for vertical GPU mounting. In this case the PSU shroud is dedicated to being a platform for the second system in an ITX format to mount to. I will try to get some detailed pics of that area and post them here so you can visualize it better.

Thank you, that would be appreciated.

What length of riser cable is needed to mount vertically?

hi bud.. mine is Vert mounted.. i used the Corsair Riser cable.... bit longer than needed but does the job and stays with in the family ;)

I've been a little put off by the corsair one as cant find a single positive review, everywhere I've looked is filled with 1 star reviews saying it just didn't work :(

Do you think a 22cm long cable would be enough or better sticking to 30cm like the Corsair one?

Fair enough, at least time will fly when waiting for the few parts your missing. Also, I've been looking at my local computer site and found out that they've released Corsair custom water-cooling parts. Have you heard or managed to get your hands on them? I was thinking of going the full EK route since there weren't any corsair ones but now that there is, looks like I'll be able to do a full corsair themed tower case

• 3 weeks later...