Corsair Community

Corsair Commander Pro doesn't recognize usb input

raduandreitm1

One stop-gap would be to take a standard mini-USB cable and run it outside the case to plug into a USB port on the back of the system. It's a little Frankenstein and not what we should have to do but, honestly, the problem may be with the AsMedia hub also (not saying it is, just a possibility). If that's the case, Corsair won't be able to do much about it. I and others have also used NZXT's internal USB hub. I can confirm that using that with a Commander Pro that has a Lighting Node Pro and a H100iV2 connected does work.

I suppose if I would have known there was an incompatibility, I wouldn't have purchased this $70 item that I now cannot return, which was suppose to work out of the box with all my other Corsair stuff. Purchasing a $10-15 workaround solution isn't the "right" solution here.

I'll trust in Corsair Dustin that they are working on resolving the issue.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
We've had to prioritize other fixes (see the release notes on 4.9.2), but this is on our radar as something that needs to be resolved. I'm on a Ryzen 7 1800X system myself, I'd like to see this issue fixed. ;)

On the sticky thread for Link v4.9.4.28, we can read:

Known Issues:

• Users connecting Lighting Node PRO or AXi USB dongle to Commander PRO USB hub may experience detection issues if Commander PRO is connected to an AMD chipset or ASMedia USB controller. (Fix ongoing.)

Which is the issue we are experimenting here on this thread, right?

But then, v4.9.5.25 came out, and on its sticky thread we don't see that as fixed or a know issue anymore, has Corsair given up on it?

Or is it this fix?

Bug Fixes:

• Updating Lighting Node PRO when daisy-chained to Commander PRO on AMD X399 no longer results in failure.

If this is the issue, the fix is not working for me, I've tried uninstalling LINK and the Driver Package, restarting and reinstalling LINK, it does not work, I still don't see my AX1200i that is connected to the Commander PRO's USB port.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any kind of an update on this issue? My Ryzen system is constantly showing a strange "Unknown USB Device" with a driver error in the control panel. ive traced this down to the USB hub portion of the commander pro, after many hours of troubleshooting. Not only that, but with my Commander pro hooked up, it randomly hangs the boot sequence with a GPU debugging LED lit. This is pretty unacceptable, considering that this has been an issue (from what I can tell) for at the very minimum 5 months. I need to know if I should hold out for the fix, or return both the lighting expansion kit and the commander pro since they are incompatible with my system. :mad:

AFAIK, there's no resolution.

That said, i did try to reproduce this on my son's Ryzen system to no avail. So apparently it's not all Ryzen systems?

Questions:

1. did you install the AMD chipset drivers or just let Windows detect them? Is

2. Is XHCI handoff enabled in the BIOS? Legacy USB Devices?

3. Have you tried forcing an update to the unknown driver? The driver for the CoPro hub is actually a generic one, not Corsair specific.

That said, i did try to reproduce this on my son's Ryzen system to no avail. So apparently it's not all Ryzen systems?

Questions:

3. Have you tried forcing an update to the unknown driver? The driver for the CoPro hub is actually a generic one, not Corsair specific.

It actually takes a while to rear its head on mine. Typically after I leave the system off for most of the day, it will come back up.

1. AMD Chipset drivers were installed, i didn't let window auto do it.

2. I have disabled both of these functions, has no effect on the issue.

3. I tried forcing an update, but windows states that it already has the best driver. Strange, because the driver provider is Windows, the date on the driver is 6/21/2006; version 10.0.16299.15. I haven't been able to find a corsair specific driver at all. FYI, the newest Link update did nothing to fix the issue.

I am also experiencing this issue in where the Commander Pro Hub (CLCH) or attached devices are not recognized when connected to the internal motherboard headers of the ASUS Zenith Extreme. I have verified that XHCI handoff and Legacy USB Devices are enabled in the BIOS. I have the latest ASUS chipset drivers installed as well. To note, the ASUS chipset installer package for this motherboard did not install the USB Host Controller drivers for windows 10, leaving the Microsoft generic driver to install. I also tested a manual driver upgrade to the latest AMD Controller and Hub drivers with the same results.

My current workaround is a DIY USB header to dual USB cables plugged into the rear IO panel, which is working for now so I may enjoy the incredible RGB goodness of the new iCUE suite and Far Cry 5!! :biggrin:

I would appreciate if this bug could remain on the list, even down near the bottom with all the iCUE dev efforts getting all the attention. I am also available to test any beta firmware towards this issue as well.

Commander Pro connected to internal header

attachment.php?attachmentid=32683&stc=1&d=1522209824

Commander Pro connected to rear IO USB Host Controller

attachment.php?attachmentid=32684&stc=1&d=1522209963

AMD USB Host Controller SIV Details

attachment.php?attachmentid=32685&stc=1&d=1522209963

AMD USB Host Controller Driver Details

attachment.php?attachmentid=32686&stc=1&d=1522209963

360153431_SIVUSBBus-CLCPonMotherboardHeader.thumb.jpg.c5be1a4c03225eb58e59f2257eeef15b.jpg

124481261_SIVUSBBus-CLCPonRearIOUSBHub.thumb.jpg.ef1a91824fd82920171393e9a02d006d.jpg

1997881023_SIVUSBHostController.jpg.0eedf69eaae52e77fc0ffbfdcf244b46.jpg

1119656585_DeviceManager-AMDUSBHostControllerDriver.jpg.5a92cb866a545a32e80fa1861288e98b.jpg

So basically, you got around the issue with the hub not being recognized by (essentially) attaching it to a rear I/o port? Interesting

. I may have to try that, as my case has a HDMI pass-through that I can thread a USB cable out of. It will take up a rear port, but at this point if it works I dont care.

I am also experiencing this issue in where the Commander Pro Hub (CLCH) or attached devices are not recognized when connected to the internal motherboard headers of the ASUS Zenith Extreme. I have verified that XHCI handoff and Legacy USB Devices are enabled in the BIOS. I have the latest ASUS chipset drivers installed as well. To note, the ASUS chipset installer package for this motherboard did not install the USB Host Controller drivers for windows 10, leaving the Microsoft generic driver to install. I also tested a manual driver upgrade to the latest AMD Controller and Hub drivers with the same results.

My current workaround is a DIY USB header to dual USB cables plugged into the rear IO panel, which is working for now so I may enjoy the incredible RGB goodness of the new iCUE suite and Far Cry 5!! :biggrin:

I would appreciate if this bug could remain on the list, even down near the bottom with all the iCUE dev efforts getting all the attention. I am also available to test any beta firmware towards this issue as well.

Commander Pro connected to internal header

attachment.php?attachmentid=32683&stc=1&d=1522209824

Commander Pro connected to rear IO USB Host Controller

attachment.php?attachmentid=32684&stc=1&d=1522209963

AMD USB Host Controller SIV Details

attachment.php?attachmentid=32685&stc=1&d=1522209963

AMD USB Host Controller Driver Details

attachment.php?attachmentid=32686&stc=1&d=1522209963

So THIS should get me around my hub problem? https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-9%252dPin-Internal-Motherboard-Male-Header-to-USB-Type%252dA-Adaptor.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYOMnk4kfgGidooP9WgNxYaSapwjJIKquIiP8JkwgQOwJXukyWyDbOCMaAsTgEALw_wcB

Questions:

What doesn't work? Plugging any Corsair USB device into the Corsair Commander Pro USB headers.

What does work? Plugging any Corsair USB device directly into the USB header itself, bypassing the Commander Pro altogether.

Have you update the CoPro's firmware? From what I understand, this should have been fixed in the latest firmware. If not, we'll need to make sure that Corsair is aware so they can investigate.

I have verified that my CoPro is running the latest 0.07.199 firmware.

So THIS should get me around my hub problem? https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-...MaAsTgEALw_wcB

It sounds like you are experiencing a similar issue as I am, however in my case, Windows has never recognized the CoPro Hub when connected to the internal headers through all of my troubleshooting. Seems as if there is still some minor programmatic issues between my USB Host Controller Drivers and the CoPro firmware. Where in your case, you have had the CoPro hub recognized in Windows and it seems to drop out.

The cable from the link is correct for attempting the workaround that I am currently using. It may not be a guaranteed success for you though, factors depend on if your rear IO ports actually use a different USB Host Controller that does not have the programmatic issues and your root cause could potentially be different given that you have had it detected successfully and it drops. For the cost of the cable though, I personally would attempt the workaround just to see. I also picked up an internal USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Header adapter, which did not resolve my issue as the motherboard 3.0 header still uses the same internal USB Host Controller.

• 2 weeks later...
Still waiting on my cable, and of course, any kind of word from corsair that they are actually working on a solution...

They have said, multiple times, that they were investigating. From what I have heard, the latest firmware for the Commander Pro should resolve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
They have said, multiple times, that they were investigating. From what I have heard, the latest firmware for the Commander Pro should resolve the issue.

I have seen ZERO threads or posts ANYWHERE that says they are working on the compatibility issue between the USB headers on AMD boards and the Commander Pro/Link. As usual, with the latest update ZERO has been done on this problem. Like I said, it would be nice to hear from SOMEONE at Corsair that would even acknowledge that its an outstanding issue. Even their "known bugs" list on the latest release has yet to note it!! I'm getting pretty fed up with this.

I have verified that my CoPro is running the latest 0.07.199 firmware.

It sounds like you are experiencing a similar issue as I am, however in my case, Windows has never recognized the CoPro Hub when connected to the internal headers through all of my troubleshooting. Seems as if there is still some minor programmatic issues between my USB Host Controller Drivers and the CoPro firmware. Where in your case, you have had the CoPro hub recognized in Windows and it seems to drop out.

The cable from the link is correct for attempting the workaround that I am currently using. It may not be a guaranteed success for you though, factors depend on if your rear IO ports actually use a different USB Host Controller that does not have the programmatic issues and your root cause could potentially be different given that you have had it detected successfully and it drops. For the cost of the cable though, I personally would attempt the workaround just to see. I also picked up an internal USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Header adapter, which did not resolve my issue as the motherboard 3.0 header still uses the same internal USB Host Controller.

I finally got my cable from China, and unfortunately it did not solve my issue.

Sorry about being short, I am just frustrated with a 70 dollar hum that is half (or less at times depending on "Updates") Functional. Want to know the crazy part? I just found out that this issue WAS (sort of) in their release notes for version 4.9.4.28:

Known Issues:

Users connecting Lighting Node PRO or AXi USB dongle to Commander PRO USB hub may experience detection issues if Commander PRO is connected to an AMD chipset or ASMedia USB controller. (Fix ongoing.)

CPU core numbering may not report correctly for some users. (Fix ongoing.)

Extra fans may appear under motherboard info after Link is left running over an extended period of time. (Fix ongoing.)

Systems with AMD graphics cards may report one extra graphics card. (Fix ongoing.)

Mechanical hard disks may not enter sleep state. (Fix ongoing.)

Changing profiles does not change DRAM lighting. (Scheduled to be fixed in next release.)

LL RGB fans will require the Corsair LINK software to function. This is a limitation of the Lighting Node PRO and Commander PRO hardware.

CPUs with more than 16 cores will not report all cores. This is a limitation of Corsair LINK being a 32-bit application.

I wonder why it has been left off the "Known Issues" recently...and if thats a bad indication that they've given up? Not too sure.

Edited by Muadweeb

They thought that it was fixed with a firmware update. As I've explained on other threads, the problems is actually with the AsMedia USB controller, not with the CoPro. NZXTs internal hub experiences the same issue.

And it doesn't affect all AMD board either. My son's computer is a Ryzen and the CoPro works fine on his machine, even the USB hub. SO ... I'm not sure if this is due to his drivers, his BIOS version or something else ... but it does work.

Finally, there is always the possibility that fixing this to work with a USB controller that doesn't quite stick to the spec would break other controllers that do stick to the spec.

• 1 month later...
They thought that it was fixed with a firmware update. As I've explained on other threads, the problems is actually with the AsMedia USB controller, not with the CoPro. NZXTs internal hub experiences the same issue.

And it doesn't affect all AMD board either. My son's computer is a Ryzen and the CoPro works fine on his machine, even the USB hub. SO ... I'm not sure if this is due to his drivers, his BIOS version or something else ... but it does work.

Finally, there is always the possibility that fixing this to work with a USB controller that doesn't quite stick to the spec would break other controllers that do stick to the spec.

Is there any update on this? Appears that it is still not resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having this issue now, too, I think. I've got an ASMedia USB hos controller and when I install Link or iCue it doesn't even install drivers for my H150i Pro (because it's going through my Commander Pro). Unfortunately I'd have to buy other parts to work around this as I only have one USB 2.0 header on my mobo (Maximus X Code).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried all the same possible combinations, and got same results. still not fixed. and yes tech support eventually said to return it because firmware must be corrupt. they might as well just take the usb headers off the commander pro. considering there own products wont work off of them.

part of the problem i have also is that my motherboard says it has 4 usb 2.0 headers but actually has 2. when i look close at board it says usb12 and usb 34. so i can assume that means each header can only handle 2 usb connections, so in my case i can plug 1 device into back of com pro assuming the com pro would be one as well. then plug the other usb into the board. considering i have the 3 usb devices that need plugged in. 1. h80i 2. 1000rmi 3. commander pro, all of which are corsair products.

so far i can get 2 of the devices to work at one said time. basically plug the com pro/ h80i in board or com pro/1000i into board. if i plug 80i into com pro, windows 10 64bit will start up, BUT no control of h80i, if i plug 1000rmi into com pro, pc goes to black screen after bios. so i have to choose between 2 corsair products to control.

also to note, like was mentioned earlier i think, if your pc wont start after plugging in the commander pro, then only plug com pro usb header in, the other corsair products, leave unplugged TEMPORALLY just to get windows to boot and open icue then update firmware, also to note i updated firmware and tried then forced update as well, and got same results. so there should be no need to replace the com pro, unless the headers on back of com pro went bad.

but since this is a on going issue and recent posts say a new one didn't change anything, i can safely assume it wont help me ether.

im currently ordering 2 y cables for the usb headers, so everything will be plugged into motherboard. i want to thank all those that have posted on this thread, with great deal of there isolation troubleshooting and dictation. and hopefully corsair takes seriously soon.

I tried all the same possible combinations, and got same results. still not fixed. and yes tech support eventually said to return it because firmware must be corrupt. they might as well just take the usb headers off the commander pro. considering there own products wont work off of them.

That's actually not accurate. The issues are primarily isolated to a subset of AMD motherboards (not all AMD boards, in fact). It has something to do with the initialization of the USB headers by the USB chipset ... and it also affects other devices as well (NZXT's internal USB hub is one). That's not invalidating your issue or your frustration but that should be directed where it belongs - to the USB chipset maker.

part of the problem i have also is that my motherboard says it has 4 usb 2.0 headers but actually has 2. when i look close at board it says usb12 and usb 34. so i can assume that means each header can only handle 2 usb connections, so in my case i can plug 1 device into back of com pro assuming the com pro would be one as well. then plug the other usb into the board. considering i have the 3 usb devices that need plugged in. 1. h80i 2. 1000rmi 3. commander pro, all of which are corsair products.

It likely says that it has 4 ports. Each header has 2 ports. There is a difference and that's pretty important when you are reading specs.

so far i can get 2 of the devices to work at one said time. basically plug the com pro/ h80i in board or com pro/1000i into board. if i plug 80i into com pro, windows 10 64bit will start up, BUT no control of h80i, if i plug 1000rmi into com pro, pc goes to black screen after bios. so i have to choose between 2 corsair products to control.

And I have one machine with a CoPro that has an RM650i and an H100i V2 connected to it with no issues. And another that has an HX1200i, an H115i Pro and a Lighting Node Pro connected to it ... no issue. My son's machine has a CoPro with an H100i V2 plugged into it ... on an AMD Ryzen motherboard ... no issue.

Again, there's something wonky with the USB chipset and it doesn't affect every AMD board. I know that Corsair has tried to resolve it with firmware updates.

but since this is a on going issue and recent posts say a new one didn't change anything, i can safely assume it wont help me ether.

im currently ordering 2 y cables for the usb headers, so everything will be plugged into motherboard. i want to thank all those that have posted on this thread, with great deal of there isolation troubleshooting and dictation. and hopefully corsair takes seriously soon.

Corsair has taken this seriously and they have tried to fix it. However, how much effort do they need to put into working around another vendor's bug before it's enough? I know it's easy to blame Corsair ... but the fact of the matter is that machines that have this issue with the CoPro have the same issue with the NZXT internal hub. That, my friend, pretty clearly indicates where the issue lies.