View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 07:00 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1023941
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

A coolant temp of 26C is pretty much normal idle for a 22C room (and certainly with a 16 core CPU). The cooler is working or that 26C would keep ticking upwards into the 50s and 60s.

The next thing to look at is if heat is actually being transferred. Since that is all conductive between the cold plate and CPU, a gap there (even very slight) ruins the thermal transfer. CPUZ is not a strenuous test and I don't think you should run one of those until this is settled. However, you should get come coolant temp creep upwards. At 150W, I would expect a coolant increase of approximately 6C in 10 minutes. One way to assess this is the lock the fans at a nominal level (say 700 rpm) and then initiate CPU-Z Bench/Stress test. It is a linear load, so the CPU temp should hold even, except when coolant temp increases. +1C coolant temp = +1 CPU temp. Let it run for 5-10 min and see if the coolant goes up. If you see the coolant hold steady by the CPU temp keeps going up, stop immediately. That indicates either a contact problem or some bizarre power loading issue. Other signs of poor thermal contact are very jump idle temps or elevated idle temps (45-55C, etc), but a lot of CPUs are pretty jumpy these days so it can be hard to tell.

Unfortunately, I don't have any data for expected coolant to CPU package temp differential. Most CPUs are 35-50C above the coolant when at 100%, but this is massively affected by voltage. I need someone with more Ryzen experience to comment on whether 1.395v is an appropriate level for your stock set-up. Unmodified Auto voltage is usually pretty heavy handed.

Last edited by c-attack; 11-14-2019 at 07:05 PM.