Corsair Community

LL120 Fans flickering after startup

EddyJ1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3x LL120 fans and 4x LED strips, some reason when I boot up my PC the fans start flickering (only once windows loads, they work fine until the software kicks in) and won't update/accept changes from iCUE, however the LED strips work completely fine, the only way I can fix this is to repair the installation every time.

I've tried resetting by emptying the profile to have nothing connected but it still doesn't work, has anyone else has a similar problem? They work great once I run the repair install.

Here's a gif of what is happening, sorry not how to do good quality gifs.

https://giphy.com/gifs/7JsLEmmYRIKlzp6BL8

To compare this is how the same effect looks without flickering.

https://giphy.com/gifs/3PxOQ0ETmDNF4t7C40

I would really like to be able to get this working because it sucks having to repair every time I start my PC.

I literally have the same exact problem. If i restart it its fine, but if i boot up after all night it flickers. Its driving me nuts. I hope there is a fixable solution to this issue.

should is not good enough, i have a car for sale, a porsche 911, i want $15,000 for it, but it has no engine, interested?

Your analogy isn't the best one to use here. The flickering is a software issue, Corsair has to make a code that works for a multitude of hardware configurations, some issues will persist until users report them with information so Corsair can go fix it.

So instead of being negative, present your issues in a clear and calm manner instead of coming off condescending. The is the first I have had any issue with Corsair products so I will let this pass, if it persists, then I will reach out for a fix.

Your analogy isn't the best one to use here. The flickering is a software issue, Corsair has to make a code that works for a multitude of hardware configurations, some issues will persist until users report them with information so Corsair can go fix it.

So instead of being negative, present your issues in a clear and calm manner instead of coming off condescending. The is the first I have had any issue with Corsair products so I will let this pass, if it persists, then I will reach out for a fix.

Yes but how long has this been on the market now and it still isnt working properly. dont you think people spending this much money on pc parts are getting pretty sick and tired of it all?

I figure I have the same issue (sorry, didn't read all 8 pages). I used to have CUE and Link and everything worked fine. Then CUE told me there was an update and suddenly I had iCUE instead. I then uninstalled Link (and rebooted, becuase I didn't see my AiO in iCUE at first).

Now I've set up my K70 RGB, M65 PRO RGB, H110i, RM750i and Lightning Node Pro with 5 LL Fans (2x 140, 3x 120) to static colors. And everything works great, except:

• Until the driver is loaded (i.e. after Windows is started) and as soon as I shut down Windows, the fans (and only the fans) go into rainbow mode
  • Sometimes, the fans go into static color mode once the driver is loaded. But more often than not, as soon as the driver is loaded, the fans go into "ultra rainbow" mode - pretty much what most people seem to see in this thread. Ending the Corsair Service process resolves this and they go into static color mode shortly afterwards.

Previously, the fans would be displaying the correct static color from when the PC powered up until it powered down.

Contrary to many/most/all of the posts I've read in this thread, I have no strips.

EDIT: this is iCUE 3.4.95

The fix currently for me was , Turn off fast boot under Power management settings in windows 10. Worked perfect from the first cold boot.

Using 4 LL 120's

Lighting Node Pro

Also seemed to actually boot faster with this disabled and all my USB functions correctly as well.

I might have found a possible reason this problem is occuring to some.

I happen to have an Asus Maximus X code motherboard which has a LED code display which displays codes to determine possible issues with hardware.

Normally when a system is done booting the code should be 'A0' This code means that the boot sequence test was completed and the OS was given control.

Most of the time however, the display would show me a Code '40'. This means the PC awoke from a S4 sleep state. In short this is a mode which allows Windows to boot faster after a complete shutdown by saving system info and then starting from there the next time you boot your PC.

Occasionally though my motherboard WOULD properly display the 'A0' code and when it did my Corsair RGB settings would load as normal. Something it didn't do when the final code was '40'.

I think 'Icue' causes problems when waking a PC out of a sleep mode. Be it a deep sleep S4 or an ordinary sleep mode.

Luckely the S4 feature can be disabled in Windows 10. The guy in this Youtube video will explain it. I tried it and it works perfectly.

There is a downside to this though. Windows 10 might boot a little slower than your used to. I personally don't think this is a big problem and I don't really notice it much either.

Also this doesn't seem to be a solution when waking from normal sleep mode. This is still a problem to me.

Hope this helps some people. It beats quiting the service in taskmanager on every startup.

EDIT: If disabling S4 in Windows settings doesn't work for you, S4 can usually be disabled in your BIOS settings as well. It can usually be found in your boot settings.

This was my exact problem and I started to formulate this theory on my own when I saw the error on my Maximus X Code and noticed that my web browser kept popping up with my recent tabs reloaded. I swear I'd turned off this setting already, but after making sure I noticed it wasn't. This is the fix for me.

Which leads me to suggest we get the Corsair team to add a bug to their backlog to fix iCue and the Corsair service coming out of deep sleep. Not only do the fans flicker, but if you listen they are running LOUD at full speed while this bug is active and only quiet down once you restart the service.

im almost certain that my either my node or one of my LL fans's LED's are starting to die from this bug. I will end the task and every now and then my LEDs will just turn off and back on. Really pissed about this.

I have something similar happen. All 4 of my fans would reset in rainbow mode. I caught them flash. I recorded it and saw them do some sort of colour sync reset. Happened only once. The other issue I had was with fan 4 flickering a couple of times in an hour.

I’m very confidant this issue occurred after installing icue. Currently I don’t icue installed at all only Corsair link but it still occurs.

The fix currently for me was , Turn off fast boot under Power management settings in windows 10. Worked perfect from the first cold boot.

Using 4 LL 120's

Lighting Node Pro

Also seemed to actually boot faster with this disabled and all my USB functions correctly as well.

I just installed my whole set up with commander pro LL rgb fans and was having the same issue. Glad I show your post. Now the LL fans don't spaz out and work after cold boot. It might have been said earlier in the thread but saw your post first. Cheers for that;):

Edited by Simon Belmont

Anyone else here getting flickering with their LL fans even with iCue uninstalled? I know the iCue flicker issue is very excessive but the issue I get is random flicker across all my LL 140mm RGB fans in rainbow mode only. It appears to be a brief reset of the rainbow colours which causes the flicker. Nothing like the iCue flicker issue.

Before installing iCue everything ran flawlessly but since installing iCue it's like my fans or noPro got damaged.

Anyone?

Edited by Aliti_308

i had the same issue when i updated icue a few months ago, the issue was with the ll fans, one of them broke and caused al of the fans to flicker mabye try and remove the fans one by one to see if one of them is broken. if you find the broken fan you can get it replaced for free.

I might have found a possible reason this problem is occuring to some.

I happen to have an Asus Maximus X code motherboard which has a LED code display which displays codes to determine possible issues with hardware.

Normally when a system is done booting the code should be 'A0' This code means that the boot sequence test was completed and the OS was given control.

Most of the time however, the display would show me a Code '40'. This means the PC awoke from a S4 sleep state. In short this is a mode which allows Windows to boot faster after a complete shutdown by saving system info and then starting from there the next time you boot your PC.

Occasionally though my motherboard WOULD properly display the 'A0' code and when it did my Corsair RGB settings would load as normal. Something it didn't do when the final code was '40'.

I think 'Icue' causes problems when waking a PC out of a sleep mode. Be it a deep sleep S4 or an ordinary sleep mode.

Luckely the S4 feature can be disabled in Windows 10. The guy in this Youtube video will explain it. I tried it and it works perfectly.

There is a downside to this though. Windows 10 might boot a little slower than your used to. I personally don't think this is a big problem and I don't really notice it much either.

Also this doesn't seem to be a solution when waking from normal sleep mode. This is still a problem to me.

Hope this helps some people. It beats quiting the service in taskmanager on every startup.

EDIT: If disabling S4 in Windows settings doesn't work for you, S4 can usually be disabled in your BIOS settings as well. It can usually be found in your boot settings.

Thank you sooooo much!!!! finally fixed this problem everything finally works perfect, you are the true MVP!

i had the same issue when i updated icue a few months ago, the issue was with the ll fans, one of them broke and caused al of the fans to flicker mabye try and remove the fans one by one to see if one of them is broken. if you find the broken fan you can get it replaced for free.

Yes.. the fan causing me grief was the last one in the chain which would be the only one flashing during the rainbow wave sequential mode. I since moved that to RGB port 1 so when the flash triggers it seems to trigger all fans now. I think that fan is causing the entire chain to trigger resets. Funny thing is, upon 30 mins of PC use, it would trigger a few times... after 30 mins of use it would be a while before it triggered again, like over an hour and then it slowly reduces to no issue.

RMAing at the store I purchased these from is a real pain. Taking your product away for weeks to determine if things are faulty and if they don't replicate it you get charged....

Edited by Aliti_308

Made an account just to report this, then found this thread. I was having the exact same issue as everyone else, and the "disable fast boot" fix seems to have worked for me. I guess this is what you'd call a "high-quality" bug: widespread, repeatable, and has a known cause. Edited by DoubleEsprit
Missed corsair's response

Exact same things started happening to me after the recent update.

Fans flicker like crazy between the profile you set as default, and the rainbow default profile when your PC is booting up.

Only thing that fixes it is to reboot the PC. If the PC goes to sleep, it happens without fail every time you wake it up. Sometimes it goes to normal after a while of letting it flicker like crazy. Definitely a software issue and has to be the update to Icue.

Any word on how to fix this or do we have to wait for another update?

My profile has my PC specs (and it is only a few weeks old functioning perfectly otherwise).

Exact same things started happening to me after the recent update.

Fans flicker like crazy between the profile you set as default, and the rainbow default profile when your PC is booting up.

Only thing that fixes it is to reboot the PC. If the PC goes to sleep, it happens without fail every time you wake it up. Sometimes it goes to normal after a while of letting it flicker like crazy. Definitely a software issue and has to be the update to Icue.

Any word on how to fix this or do we have to wait for another update?

My profile has my PC specs (and it is only a few weeks old functioning perfectly otherwise).

Latest iCUE update fixes it. Download it :)

• 3 months later...

I experienced the same issue tonight, this was the first fresh startup after the initial install and restart. Before i was using Corsair Link 4 to control the fan lighting. I had the thought to check my start up apps since i knew Corsair Link was still enabled on startup (so my fans would auto light up). Disabling that did in fact work. I think there may be something in the 4.9.7.35 build that still tries to control the fan lighting on startup. Side note: now for some reason my mouse wont connect on startup.. But, silver lining!! My fans dont spasm! LOL

**UPDATE/EDIT**

After updating iCUE to 3.8.91 the mouse issue stopped. Not sure if the fan fix was included with that build, if not then the workaround I found stands true. If it was included, then awesome sauce. LOL

Edited by eponym
updated iCUE issues resolved

• 9 months later...

I ran into this issue too, my fans are only a few months old, 6 x LL120, used with Lighting Node Pro.

It's only my 6th fan that flickers, the others are fine. However, I;ve tried every work around i've seen published on these forums and nothing works for me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled iCue, I end / restart the service with no change, I cold boot my PC with "fast start up" option turned off in windows... Absolutely nothing has stopped the flicker.

I noticed when i had completely uninstalled iCue, and there was no iCue software on my PC, it was still flickering. So could that mean it could be firmware?

I've read the historic posts on this issue that date back nearly two years on this thread, and I'm really disappointed that I'm now visiting to create an account in Aug 2019 to complain of the same issue.

I've seen devs or other posters commenting "the dev team is working hard on this issue" a year ago.

Basically they have shared some work arounds that don't universally work, then nothing more, is that correct?

I am running the latest firmware available (DLed last night) and software available.

I ran into this issue too, my fans are only a few months old, 6 x LL120, used with Lighting Node Pro.

It's only my 6th fan that flickers, the others are fine. However, I;ve tried every work around i've seen published on these forums and nothing works for me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled iCue, I end / restart the service with no change, I cold boot my PC with "fast start up" option turned off in windows... Absolutely nothing has stopped the flicker.

I noticed when i had completely uninstalled iCue, and there was no iCue software on my PC, it was still flickering. So could that mean it could be firmware?

I've read the historic posts on this issue that date back nearly two years on this thread, and I'm really disappointed that I'm now visiting to create an account in Aug 2019 to complain of the same issue.

I've seen devs or other posters commenting "the dev team is working hard on this issue" a year ago.

Basically they have shared some work arounds that don't universally work, then nothing more, is that correct?

I am running the latest firmware available (DLed last night) and software available.

If your last fan in the chain flickers, swap it with fan #5. Fan 5 will be the real problematic fan as it is failing to send the signal to fan #6 correctly. Having fan #5 at the end means its failure to send the full signal stops with that fan. The RGB cycle repeats starting from fan #1, it doesn't get signals from the last fan. Because fan #5 doesn't pass on any signal to the next fan, the flickering problem won't occur.

The other option is to return the fan and get a new one.

I have this same issue too. My problematic fan is at the end.

Edited by Aliti_308

If your last fan in the chain flickers, swap it with fan #5. Fan 5 will be the real problematic fan as it is failing to send the signal to fan #6 correctly. Having fan #5 at the end means its failure to send the full signal stops with that fan. The RGB cycle repeats starting from fan #1, it doesn't get signals from the last fan. Because fan #5 doesn't pass on any signal to the next fan, the flickering problem won't occur.

The other option is to return the fan and get a new one.

I have this same issue too. My problematic fan is at the end.

Thanks for the info and recommendation, I'll try that this weekend.