Corsair Community

Hi80 V2 Fan RPM Issues

omega20056

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure whether it was more of an issue with cooling or Corsair Link.

I'm using a Hi80 V2 liquid cooler and I'm having some issues with adjusting the RPM of the fans in Corsair Link. When I plug a fan into the 4-pin connector, it runs at 1080 RPM on quiet. I can change the RPM easily enough, and it runs at max if I set it to performance. My issue is with the second fan.

When I connect it to the 3-pin connector, it immediately shoots up to 1800 RPM. I can get it down to 1500 RPM on quiet, but that's still too loud. Meanwhile, the fan connected to the 4-pin connector will run at a different, much lower speed. It doesn't matter which of the two fans I connect to the headers. I've tried swapping them around and gotten the same result. I'm using the stock four-pin fans that came with the cooler.

From what I've read, both fans are supposed to run at the same speed, but for some reason they refuse to. No matter what I do, one will run slowly, and the other will run very fast. As a stopgap measure, I've disconnected one of the fans from the 3-pin connector, but that's not really a satisfactory solution. I'm convinced the issue is with me and I've just connected them up wrong or not ticked the right box. I followed the set up instructions to the letter, but something must be off if I can't get this right.

Edited by omega20056

It sounds like the second fan isn't getting the PWM signal via the header.

How do you know what it's speed is, by the way? Or are you guessing based on the volume? On the H80iV2, you only get one reading for both fans and then a second reading for the pump. The RPMs that you have specified here sound suspiciously like pump speeds.

It sounds like the second fan isn't getting the PWM signal via the header.

How do you know what it's speed is, by the way? Or are you guessing based on the volume? On the H80iV2, you only get one reading for both fans and then a second reading for the pump. The RPMs that you have specified here sound suspiciously like pump speeds.

I can see the speed on the 3-pin fan in Link if I plug it in. If I leave the 3-pin unconnected, Link shows me the speed of the 4-pin fan. I get separate readings for the fan and the pump if I plug both fans in, and I can control the speeds of both no problem. I can alter the speed of the pump and lower the speed of the 3-pin fan, but it refuses to go under 1500 RPM. The 4-pin, meanwhile, just runs slowly at the back. I can see it moving if I turn my case around, and can feel the air flow at the back. The cooler works with only one fan (Push but not pull) connected to the 4-pin, and I can control the speed of it without issue, but obviously using one fan is not ideal. The cables are connected up correctly as far as I can tell. The pump cable is connected to the CPU Fan slot, Qfan is turned off, and Link is set up correctly.

Edited by omega20056

Does that mean the 3 pin is always out of control when you swap fans?

Yes.

Can you show us the configuration screen for the cooler?

You mean this?

EDIT: I bought myself a y-splitter after finding this thread. It's a different model cooler, but it seems like the same issue. It hasn't made any difference though.

The splitter I bought has a 4-pin on one end, and one 4-pin and two 3-pins on the other. I can buy one that has a 3-pin on one end and 4-pin on the other, or go for one that has all 3-pins. I might just be wasting my money though if they don't work.

Even with one fan, the cooler keeps the CPU cool enough to use. It idles around 35 degrees and under load never goes above 50. This is obviously a far cry from what it would be capable of with two fans. When I tested it using both fans, the CPU ran at 21 degrees idle.

Edited by omega20056

How are you assessing the fan speeds for the two fans on the H80i v2? There is only one speed wire (the 4th pin on one connector), so only one speed will be reported in Link/iCUE. I suspect you would be able to tell if one fan was maxed out and the other was at half speed by noise alone, but that's not how it is described above.

In that one screen shot, your coolant is at a very low 20C. That is about as low as you go without turning your room into a refrigerator. Nevertheless, you fan speed is registering as 1440. That is rather high for any of the presets. The fan should be running down at the slowest speeds. Are you running a custom fan curve? Did you change the control variable?

If there was an issue with signal on the 3 pin part of the splitter, adding another PWM splitter to the 4 pin side with the control signal should have worked. Since it did not, that suggests the problem lies elsewhere. The H80i v2 does not have independent fan control, so if its not a problem with the wire, then we really need to double check all the facts.

How are you assessing the fan speeds for the two fans on the H80i v2? There is only one speed wire (the 4th pin on one connector), so only one speed will be reported in Link/iCUE. I suspect you would be able to tell if one fan was maxed out and the other was at half speed by noise alone, but that's not how it is described above.

In that one screen shot, your coolant is at a very low 20C. That is about as low as you go without turning your room into a refrigerator. Nevertheless, you fan speed is registering as 1440. That is rather high for any of the presets. The fan should be running down at the slowest speeds. Are you running a custom fan curve? Did you change the control variable?

If there was an issue with signal on the 3 pin part of the splitter, adding another PWM splitter to the 4 pin side with the control signal should have worked. Since it did not, that suggests the problem lies elsewhere. The H80i v2 does not have independent fan control, so if its not a problem with the wire, then we really need to double check all the facts.

I get 1440 when a fan is connected to the three pin. If I connect a fan to the four pin, it runs at 800 on quiet and I can alter the speed as normal. If I plug in the three pin by itself, it runs at 1440 on quiet and I can also control the speed. It won't go below 1440 though. That is what alerted me initially. With both fans plugged in, the four pin runs at 800 (Or abouts that, it runs much slower than the three pin) and the three pin runs at 1440. With both fans plugged in I can only adjust the speed of the three pin and it refuses to go below 1440, but works normally otherwise.

Trying the PWN splitter made no difference. You also said that 1440 is rather high, but I can make it go up to something like 2900 by adjusting the speed. I'll check the exact RPM when I get home. I have the fans on a custom speed of 25% all the way through, but the same issues were present when I used quiet and the other presets. I put it on 25% initially to try to reduce the speed of the three pin and just left it like that for the four pin. The CPU never goes above 50 when gaming anyway, and that's with only the 4 pin. I have no idea what kind of temps I would get using both fans at 800, but the temperature you seen was with the 4 pin working at 800 (Or around abouts as I said, I can't be sure beyond the fact it's running slower than the three pin) and the three pin working at 1440. The thing that confused me is, if the cooler doesn't have independent fan control, how is this even possible? Because this is the reality as I'm reporting it. I can take a video if you want to see it in action.

Make sure you are only taking fan speed readings from the H80i v2 Box in Link. That’s the coolant temperature, one fan reading, and pump speed. The values that appear in the motherboard section do not correspond to the cooler and should not be trusted. Since the fans are connected directly to the cooler’s fan controller, your motherboard can’t properly detect the speed either.

The GTX/v2 models will send half the pump speed to the BIOS/motherboard along the 3 pin header that connects to CPU Fan, but make sure you are not trying to control speeds through the BIOS or AI Suite. That has a “dimmer effect” and will likely have long term implications for the cooler. The BIOS settings for cpu fan or wherever the motherboard lead is connected should be at 100%, Full Speed, or “disabled”, all of which are the same thing in Asus speak. Neither fan should be capable of reaching 2900 rpm under any conditions. The pump does max out around 2900 on the Performance setting and might dip as low as 1400 if you throttled the voltage, before shutting down.

If the splitter isn’t bad, then both fans should be at the same speed unless there is a physical problem with the fan. However, that would travel with the fan when you swap them. If you disconnect the 4 pin end of the splitter from the fan you’ve lost the control signal. The 3 pin end should immediately go to maximum while Link reports 0 rpm.

Make sure you are only taking fan speed readings from the H80i v2 Box in Link. That’s the coolant temperature, one fan reading, and pump speed. The values that appear in the motherboard section do not correspond to the cooler and should not be trusted. Since the fans are connected directly to the cooler’s fan controller, your motherboard can’t properly detect the speed either.

The GTX/v2 models will send half the pump speed to the BIOS/motherboard along the 3 pin header that connects to CPU Fan, but make sure you are not trying to control speeds through the BIOS or AI Suite. That has a “dimmer effect” and will likely have long term implications for the cooler. The BIOS settings for cpu fan or wherever the motherboard lead is connected should be at 100%, Full Speed, or “disabled”, all of which are the same thing in Asus speak. Neither fan should be capable of reaching 2900 rpm under any conditions. The pump does max out around 2900 on the Performance setting and might dip as low as 1400 if you throttled the voltage, before shutting down.

If the splitter isn’t bad, then both fans should be at the same speed unless there is a physical problem with the fan. However, that would travel with the fan when you swap them. If you disconnect the 4 pin end of the splitter from the fan you’ve lost the control signal. The 3 pin end should immediately go to maximum while Link reports 0 rpm.

AI Suite is not installed and I have Qfan disabled. The pump is definitely getting the power it needs. For some reason, my computer isn't launching the USB driver for the cooler on launch. The start up fails and I can only launch it by disabling and enabling it. When it's disabled, the cooler doesn't appear in Link and one of the fans (The four pin I think) runs at max speed, while the other runs slower. After enabling the driver the four pin slows down and Link works, but it refuses to go under 1440. The three pin cannot be controlled and continues to run slowly. After a few tests I've realised something. The issue appears to be limited to the three pin. Either fan works at 800 when connected to the three pin or the four pin alone, but only the four pin reports that speed. It's only when I connect the second fan to the three pin that the speed of the four pin increases. The issue always arises after connecting the second fan (Whichever I decide to use, it's not limited to either), and resolves once I unplug it from the three pin. It's like Link somehow isn't able to control the three pin properly and ends up setting the four pin to a higher speed. The three pin, meanwhile, continues to work at 800 (As far as I can tell based on how slow it is) and the speed of it cannot be controlled. Link correctly reports the speed of the four pin as 1440, and while it can be increased to maximum, it refuses to go under this.

Edited by omega20056

The USB driver thing is probably a separate issue, annoying as it is. I am of the opinion there is problem on the main line of the splitter coming out of the H80i v2. Neither fan behavior is expected and that would also explain why the splitter off the 4 pin didn't work either. Any kind of software glitch or physical problem with the controller should be extended to both fans. The only reason for either fan to take on separate behavior is if there is a problem with the splitter (on this single fan channel device).

Unfortunately, I am not sure the cables coming out of the pump on that side are detachable. I would contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System and get their take on things. That would also be the first step in any kind of replacement -- whole cooler or proprietary cable.

On the bright side, you at least seem to be in a comfortable temperature zone and this is not costing you running time. Also, while it would be nice if the second fan took temps down by 50%, that's not how it works. The H80i v2 is pretty thick and does benefit, but we are talking about a handful of degrees versus major changes.