Corsair Community

Scimitar side buttons not working

I was thinking about buying this to accompany my Strafe keyboard but I keep seeing a lot of reviews about buttons not working.

Should I buy this or hold off until there's a definite fix? If a lot of people are having problems then I don't want to waste my money.

I found a possible cause of this problem today at least for me. The driver "corsair composite virtual input device" is normally visible in Device Manager under "Human Interface Devices" the problem for me seems that after every reboot the driver refuses to load and is no longer visible. Can anyone else confirm the driver to be missing?

http://i.imgur.com/pxoJMlG.png

I have a Scimitar and a k70 RGB

I found this event description related to the corsair composite virtual input driver, and i suspect it could be related to the problem.

Device CorsairBus\virtualdevice&10\1&1a590e2c&10&{e7fd4ace-ee13-11e2-afda-000c29100502} could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_046D&PID_C21F&IG_00\6&1A27FFF0&0&00

Class Guid: {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122

Present: false

corsairdriver.bmp

I have a similar problem, however certain things work for me with the side buttons.

Profile Switching, Mode switching, and custom light effects.

Sending mouse or keyboard events does not work, and for me never has. The mouse is plugged into a powered USB2.0 port on the back of the motherboard.

Another problem I have, although likely unrelated, is every now and then (I don't know the exact conditions required to reproduce), the mouse starts sending input in a very "jerky" manner, and buttons have to be held for over a second to register. The lights on the side buttons go random colours, such as half red and half yellow-white, which it shouldn't be able to do. To fix that, I need to unplug the mouse and plug back in.

I have a similar problem, however certain things work for me with the side buttons.

Profile Switching, Mode switching, and custom light effects.

Sending mouse or keyboard events does not work, and for me never has. The mouse is plugged into a powered USB2.0 port on the back of the motherboard.

Another problem I have, although likely unrelated, is every now and then (I don't know the exact conditions required to reproduce), the mouse starts sending input in a very "jerky" manner, and buttons have to be held for over a second to register. The lights on the side buttons go random colours, such as half red and half yellow-white, which it shouldn't be able to do. To fix that, I need to unplug the mouse and plug back in.

If you want a beta SW/FW to fix the issue PM Corsair Henry your email and he will send you the files with an email, as he just mentioned above.

The update currently in beta testing fixes exactly that.

I'm having the same problem. The default profile is my only profile set up, and it remains active. My RGB lighting scheme continues to work properly, so my profile is loaded; and the side buttons (as well as the two center buttons below the wheel) simply stop responding.

The buttons are programmed to act as the keyboard's ten-key inputs, so I can test it by opening notepad and trying to type some numbers in. It does not work. After I restart the system, it begins to work again, and I may not have the problem again for several days.

The issue appears to strike at random, which is a shame because I adore the feel and ergonomics of this mouse. I sincerely hope a fix is coming soon!

2016-01-27T17-36-06.log.txt

I was having a lot of these issues, but most of them haven't cropped up for me for awhile now.

I have no idea if I'm lucky and this is a coincidence, or if it's actually what fixed it.

Macro buttons randomly not working until a system restart:

I plugged the mouse into USB 3.0. This was mostly luck. It was plugged into usb 2.0 in the back of my PC, but I moved it to the front so I could unplug/replug it easily, due to other issues. This may just have to do with the fact that the two types of USB are also different drivers, more so than the fact it's 3.0, I have no idea.

I don't think I've had an issue with macros for 2+ months since I've done that (if I have, it wasn't while playing a game, so I didn't notice).

I never had an issue with them being unable to issue keyboard commands, however, so even if this helps, I have no idea if it would help that.

For laggyness and choppiness: a solid lighting scheme made the mouse work for longer periods of time for me. I'm currently using the beta firmware and software that's mentioned above, and that's tentatively fixed this entirely for me, as well.

MY SOLUTION

When the side buttons stop working.

1. Close out of CUE

2. Start menu --> Device Manager --> Human interface Devices --> Uninstall Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device. DO NOT CHECK UNINSTALL SOFTWARE

3. Remove USB then reinsert USB

4. Start up CUE

5. Give it a couple seconds.

The above fix did not work for me. This has been a constant problem since I purchased the scimitar two weeks ago.

To answer the above question "should I get this mouse?" Emphatically no. No one should buy this mouse, ever. Buy a Razor naga like everybody else. God knows I wish I had.

The developers on the coding side of this mouse just assassinated this entire product line. Everyone I know who purchased this mouse has reviewed it very poorly because of this problem. It renders the mouse completely useless. I am sorry, but someone needs to get fired over this, as it has greatly injured consumer confidence in corsair mice as a product line. Even future releases will be noticeably negatively impacted by this.

@Terabyte Thank you for the reply. Repair didn't work, but it got me on the right track.

Basically I have to reinstall CUE every time I reboot or start the computer. Then the side buttons work fine.

Reason I didn't see this effect when I reinstalled previously, is that my usual practice is to reboot after I install any software, which in this case is futile.

I messaged Henry for access to the beta version of CUE, cause I really would like to avoid the constant reinstall and reconfigure routine. :D

@Terabyte Thank you for the reply. Repair didn't work, but it got me on the right track.

Basically I have to reinstall CUE every time I reboot or start the computer. Then the side buttons work fine.

Reason I didn't see this effect when I reinstalled previously, is that my usual practice is to reboot after I install any software, which in this case is futile.

I messaged Henry for access to the beta version of CUE, cause I really would like to avoid the constant reinstall and reconfigure routine. :D

I don't think the new beta version will help with this issue of not working after a restart.

If it doesn't indeed work try uninstalling CUE and remove manually from the registry ANY leftover trace related to CUE. Then open the mange devices windows, set it to show any hidden/disconnected devices and delete any keyboards/mices that show an opaque icon.

Restart, install CUE and restart again without doing anything else. This process has helped a few peoples (but not all) with issues similar to yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my side buttons not working after a windows update. (windows 10). So i tried to repair as this thread suggested. I must say your CUE

is a disgustingly unsafe piece of software, as it seems to be doing stuff in the kernel it shouldn't be doing?

Here's the trouble: When repairing, in the final stages it kills Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder. And I mean KILL. I cannot restart them nor trigger them to start on their own by restarting/turning off the computer. So the repair got the side buttons working, but killed ALL audio.

I ended up having to do a system roll back, and my audio came back but now the side buttons wasn't working again. I repaired the CUE once more, this time with the CUE being open, and that did nothing, didn't kill the audio, didn't fix the side buttons. Just to be sure it was the CUE repair that killed my audio, I ran the repair again with CUE properly closed, and surely, at the second last step of the repair sequence, all windows audio was killed. So now I have a to do a roll back again, only to get a mouse that doesn't give the functionality I bought it for.....

This SHOULD NOT happen.

I had the same problem with my side buttons not working after a windows update. (windows 10). So i tried to repair as this thread suggested. I must say your CUE

is a disgustingly unsafe piece of software, as it seems to be doing stuff in the kernel it shouldn't be doing?

Here's the trouble: When repairing, in the final stages it kills Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder. And I mean KILL. I cannot restart them nor trigger them to start on their own by restarting/turning off the computer. So the repair got the side buttons working, but killed ALL audio.

I ended up having to do a system roll back, and my audio came back but now the side buttons wasn't working again. I repaired the CUE once more, this time with the CUE being open, and that did nothing, didn't kill the audio, didn't fix the side buttons. Just to be sure it was the CUE repair that killed my audio, I ran the repair again with CUE properly closed, and surely, at the second last step of the repair sequence, all windows audio was killed. So now I have a to do a roll back again, only to get a mouse that doesn't give the functionality I bought it for.....

This SHOULD NOT happen.

It does KILL the audio for me too when I update/repair CUE since it installs the audio drivers for the headset, however, once it is done installing I can simply re-open my player and the audio works just fine.

Have you tried restarting the computer after running the repair option?

It does KILL the audio for me too when I update/repair CUE since it installs the audio drivers for the headset, however, once it is done installing I can simply re-open my player and the audio works just fine.

Have you tried restarting the computer after running the repair option?

Awesome with a quick reply. I did, thinking it would fix the audio, but it didn't. Having tried both a restart and a shut off/on, I rolled back to a point the windows system had saved when the CUE did changes.

I just now tried uninstalling the CUE, it took longer than usual, and after the uninstall the audio was dead again. Once again, I rolled back, but when the system rebooted I got this error message:

'HID

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.'

So now it seems I have a faulty piece of software that I can neither repair nor uninstall....

Awesome with a quick reply. I did, thinking it would fix the audio, but it didn't. Having tried both a restart and a shut off/on, I rolled back to a point the windows system had saved when the CUE did changes.

I just now tried uninstalling the CUE, it took longer than usual, and after the uninstall the audio was dead again. Once again, I rolled back, but when the system rebooted I got this error message:

'HID

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.'

So now it seems I have a faulty piece of software that I can neither repair nor uninstall....

To add to that, I when I start the CUE that error message pops up.

Ye, it seems that sometimes I do a succesfull repair/install WITHOUT my audio being killed, but then the side buttons won't work. (Everything else, lighting and such, works). If a repair/install works so that the side buttons work aswell, then my audio is killed for good.

This is unacceptable. Windows updates messing up drivers and such is something that can be excused untill the next driver update, but when it's the other way around and your software is dangerous to the system, then you should change how your software interacts with the system environment, or you shouldn't be in the business of making peripherals, I mean, shouldn't a basic quality of the software be to NOT **** up the OS?

If I ramble a bit, it is because I'm quite angry/disappointed with my purchase. Guess I'm swithcing back to my Razer Naga untill the software has some new versions released... Hope my feedback is taken seriously and the problems are fixed, so I can use this mouse I quite like for its ergonomics.

It looks like indeed something got messed up with your installation, and clearly the restore point is not working as it should. I would uninstall again CUE (if you haven't already) and then open the registry and manually delete all entries related to CUE. Once this is done restart your computer and try a fresh install of CUE (keeping ANY programs like media players and such) closed so it won't error out on the audio drivers.

I have determined that the side buttons don't work when the "Corsair Composite Virtual input device" disappears in Device Manager, after CUE loads. I have tested and resolved this by logging out of Windows (at which time I hear the "ding ding" Windows has found a USB device) and logging back in again.

Much simpler than having to consistently reinstall CUE, but still annoying. Should stay working on Windows booting consistently. I'm running a fully up-to-date Windows 10 x64 with the latest CUE and Scimitar 2.01 firmware.

I just had a similar problem with the M65, I couldn't bind the sniper button. A regular reinstall didn't fix it, but I reinstalled and checked "delete settings" when I uninstalled it, and then when I reinstalled the mouse worked again (at least for a few minutes now ...). Maybe that will help someone.

my sidebuttons stop working too, only way to make them work again is to restart the PC or unplug and plug in the mouse again.

And when they stop working, i mostly can't find the mouse in CUE, it doesnt show up at all, and when it shows up, it says on status: Error.

i attached the log files from today, it clearly shows some errors with the scimitar.

2016-02-22T18-32-30.txt