Corsair Community

H100i Platinum SE weird thermals

fishysauce

Within the past week, my H100i Platinum SE has been idling much higher than it did before. Before this problem came up, light tasks such as browsing the internet, etc, my computer would idle at ~25 degrees give or take 1 or 2 degrees. Now, it idles at about 35 degrees. (According to iCue). From what i've read, most people have an issue regarding having RGB on which caused the temperatures to read higher than what it really was. I too had this problem.. except now when I turn RGB on, it causes my temps to go DOWN. (~3 degrees) From what I recall the only thing i've changed is I updated iCue software to the latest one but have since downgraded it back to 3.17.94 Also, I updated the firmware of my cooler to 1.01.15 so this may or may not be the problem. Should I downgrade the cooler firmware back to what it was before? Thanks

Make sure you differentiate between CPU temp and coolant temp. The false change from lighting would raise the coolant, but not the CPU. On the other hand, a stuck program running at 6-8% in the background might raise the CPU temps, but leave the coolant unchanged. Then there is the daily room/case temp change that moves them both.

Make sure you differentiate between CPU temp and coolant temp. The false change from lighting would raise the coolant, but not the CPU. On the other hand, a stuck program running at 6-8% in the background might raise the CPU temps, but leave the coolant unchanged. Then there is the daily room/case temp change that moves them both.

Yes, but the thing is the false change from turning the lighting on LOWERS the coolant temperature. Right now, the coolant temperature is about the same temperature as the CPU temperature at idle. Under load, the coolant temperature goes as high as 38.5 degrees and CPU temps hover around 50.

Yes, but the thing is the false change from turning the lighting on LOWERS the coolant temperature. Right now, the coolant temperature is about the same temperature as the CPU temperature at idle. Under load, the coolant temperature goes as high as 38.5 degrees and CPU temps hover around 50.

For load temps, that's absolutely fine.

What you haven't included is the ambient temperature, what kind of load it is (CPU only or mixed CPU/GPU load), your vCore and your airflow setup. Those are all needed to determine if things really are OK.

Right now, the coolant temperature is about the same temperature as the CPU temperature at idle.

That is what's supposed to happen at idle unless you turn off every single power saving feature. Coolant temp = minimum CPU temp

Under load, the coolant temperature goes as high as 38.5 degrees and CPU temps hover around 50.

The coolant temp appears normal for Summer conditions and most people see a +6-10 rise on load. If you are under load and voltage is being applied to the CPU, then it cannot be the same as the coolant. Presumably you are stating your load CPU temps are 50C and that puts you lower than most people with very narrow coolant to CPU temp differential. That is efficient, not problematic.

For load temps, that's absolutely fine.

What you haven't included is the ambient temperature, what kind of load it is (CPU only or mixed CPU/GPU load), your vCore and your airflow setup. Those are all needed to determine if things really are OK.

The ambient temperature is about 26 degrees and under mixed CPU/GPU load. The case I have is an NZXT h500i with the radiator mounted as intake on the front. For exhaust, I have 2 Corsair LL120 (White) fans. (1 on rear, 1 on top) They are set at fixed 65% (~1800rpm). I'm not sure how to find out what my vCore is but iCue shows vCPU as anywhere from 0.74v - 1.23v (light duty chrome browsing)