View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 267442
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
I understand that I'm probably making you pull your hair out from the repeated posts telling me the same thing, but if I knew what you were telling me then, I wouldn't keep asking questions.
OH NO! That would hurt too much, have you seen my pic?

OK, let's clarify some speeds.

On the CPU, your internal CPU speed is determined by multiplying your FSB speed by 4. This is because an Intel CPU has 4 pipelines from the CPU that communicate with the memory controller (aka Memory Controller Hub or MCH for short or Northbridge chip of the chipset, also called NB for short, it's all the same thing). At stock speed your CPU internally operates at 266mhz. The data rate to the NB is 266mhz x 4 (pipelines) so you get an effective data rate of 1066mhz. But, the CPU is not actually running 1066mhz.

DDR memory speed is a bit different. We'll use your example of DDR1066 memory (aka PC8500). It actually operates at 533mhz. DDR memory can transfer data 2 times per cycle so, the effective data rate is actually 1066mhz, even though the memory is not actually running at 1066mhz.

The portion of your system that is the weak link is the MCH, or NB (Nvidia 570). The NB is what allows the CPU to communicate with the memory. Typically, the fastest that anyone can get the Nvidia 570 chipset to run is about 1030mhz and that's if you are lucky. So, when you are setting 1066 in your bios for both CPU and RAM, you are setting a speed that the MCH simply cannot negotiate.

I'd suggest picking a much slower speed and slowly trying to increase it till you find your fastest stable OC. However, if you push much past 266mhz, you may need to lower your multiplier on your CPU.

Again, I'd strongly suggest you find some good OCing guides. Preferably one that deals with your specific MOBO.