Corsair Community

iCUE makes Desktop flicker on GSync enabled FreeSync Monitors

DemonRoxas

I was able to reproduce this error with two different systems.

When using a FreeSync monitor with an NVidia GPU running in GSync compatibility mode, the desktop starts flickering when you open up iCUE. No other program or software causes this issue. Once you close iCue or refocus to another application, the flickering stops.

Weird.

• 5 months later...
You don't want your screen running in GSync windowed mode or it will do this with any application that uses GPU resources. "Full Screen Only" is the best set up for most people, but if you actually play stuff in Windowed mode, you can use the Nvidia Control Panel to make specific settings for iCUE to turn it Gsync off when that window is in focus.

• 5 months later...

For general Full Screen only vs Windowed/Full Screen mode, open the Nvidia Control Panel. Under the display section, select "Set-up G-SYNC". That is the only option there.

If you need to use Windowed Gsync mode, then you might want to deactivate it for the individual application. Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings. Select the program tab and select or add the program (iCUE.exe). Go down to monitor technology and change if from the default follow global (Gsync ON) to "fixed refresh rate". That will turn it off when iCUE is in focus. Be aware this is an issue in Windowed mode for any app that uses GPU acceleration. You may have the same problem with Steam, Mystic Light, or anything else like it. I find it easier to turn Widowed Gsync on/off for the one game I need it rather than exclude the dozen or so that will not react well.

my monitor doesn't even support gsync (but freesync)

icue is the only application doing this nasty flickering

would corsair mind and kindly fix this ?

Then do the same things through your on end. It's not a Corsair problem to fix. It's how the tech works. You want Free Sync to selectively apply itself in different way to different apps? Set it up.

Then do the same things through your on end. It's not a Corsair problem to fix. It's how the tech works. You want Free Sync to selectively apply itself in different way to different apps? Set it up.

(edited for typos)

I hear you.

However, I think there are clearly compatibility issues going on between Corsair iCue and Nvidia Drivers/GeForce Experience. It means users have to manage the issues themselves; disabling things, creating custom exclusions etc. Now, you're right, the control to work around these issues may be in the Nvidia software, but I don't think it should really be this way.

Taking this a step further...Corsair chose to build the iCue tool with a modern, grphic accelerated UI. Then, the prevailing advice is to deal with issues in the Nvidia software - they chose this path. They chose to have their software have to keep pace with major windows 10 changes to graphics rendering, and progression of Nvidia drivers and GeForce Experience.

I'm tired of hearing the same unofficial, though well meaning voices on this forum say "I have g-sync but don't have a problem - must be something else" etc., which to me, completely misses the point and ignores the fact there are many other variables out there...variables that Corsair and Nvidia should work together to resolve.

As a perfect example, in the last update or so for GeForce Experience, the Nvidia Overlay started rendering the FPS in the iCue UI, despite exlusions being in place in Nvida control panel, despite disabling windowed mode for g-sync. It does this because it now recognises iCue as game. It happened to Wallpaper Engine too, resulting in the devs having to reach out to Nvidia.

So...honestly, I think if Corsair have chosen to have to maintain compatibility with Nvidia....it's on them.