View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
boop's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996002
boop Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Your wording is clear. I do wish all folks were as detailed as you were.

First, let's see if we can narrow down the fan(s) on question here. Can you stop the fans one at a time to see if the noise goes away? Or even stop all three?

Noise and vibrations are unusual from the ML fans ... unless they are on DC control and not receiving a full 12V. But you have them connected directly to the cooler so that's not your issue here. The other possibility is that you have them too tight and the blades are hitting something or a little too loose. But let's first makes sure that it's the fans and see if we can determine if it's a single fan or all of them.
I'll try disabling each fan one at a time as you suggested. However, I did connect the fans using an extender to the cooler (not sure if this is a factor).
I believe I did stop all three fans the other day and the system was whisper quiet. It's just I didn't check each individual fan. Also the side of the radiator where I have the ML fans attached to, there are no washers and the side with the LL fans - there are washers attached (can't remember why I did this).

Unscrewing the fans - if it came to that... would I then have to remove the cooler off from the cpu and clean the thermal compound and reapply? I'm just assuming there won't be much room to get away with just removing the fans.
I'll be sure to update you once I'm home early next week. Thank you for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
A lot of this may depend on your definition of loud. The ML fans have a definite "tone" to them, probably because of the magnetic levitation bearing. It makes some noise even when at low speed. Whether or not you can hear it is another matter. I have 4 x ML140 on a radiator right now. It is a quiet, icy morning and I can clearly hear them at 4ft from my ear. I used them for years as a pair of 2 and never noticed, but once you get enough together that frequency become audible in a quiet room.

The easier way to sort this out is to unplug the ML120 fans from the H150i splitter one at a time and listen to see if the sound changes. At idle, you don't need fan speed and can take your time. In there is a bad one in the bunch, it should stick out. If the tone drops in volume with each fan removed, then you know it is the specifics of that model. An easy solution would be 3 more LL120 to match. They will not make that tone and I consider them quieter at idle. That is the top half of my case now. I might cost you 1C or so in coolant temp rise on a 9900K, but that would be a pretty easy trade for quiet idle.
I'll try disabling one fan at a time using the corsair software to determine which fan(s) are the root cause. Not too keen on replacing the fans at this current time since I've already spent a lot of money on the system thus far. I'll update you once I return home early next week. Thank you for the info!

Last edited by boop; 03-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.