Corsair Community

How To: Make RGB Extension Cables / Repair RGB Fan Connectors

DevBiker

• 1 month later...

So I spent several days this past week communicating via instant message with DevBiker trying to determine if I was going to buy or make my own. I finally decided to make my own with Cat6 cable since I had lots of it lol.

Thanks for all the help DevBiker, the videos are great, super easy and here are the results:

9hh9M4j.jpg?1

Couple of close-ups:

Ugwkgf6.jpg?1

SJ4jWht.jpg?1

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

First, just wanted to thank DevBiker and everyone else who has contributed to this post - this is great and extremely useful information!

I'm new to the whole PC build thing and decided after years of purchasing pre-fab PCs, that I would build my own (and try to teach my two boys while I was at it). I really liked the Corsair Crystal 460X case and decided to use it for this build. It came with 3 SP120s, and I decided to buy 3 LL120s for the top and back for the case. I knew the SPs didn't natively support fan speed control, so I purchased a Commander Pro to handle that. After wiring everything up and getting the OS installed, I downloaded iCue and was all set to program some RGB goodness, until I realized that I couldn’t mix the LL and SP fans on the same hub. :mad:

Unfortunately, I did not find Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ until after I ran into this issue. After reading through his FAQ, I purchased a second RGB Fan LED hub, so I could split the fans between hubs. The other unfortunate thing was that I'd already cabled all of the fans to the original hub, and without re-wiring my whole case, I had no way to extend the RGB cables from my LLs to where I had to locate the new hub. However, while searching these forums, I came across a mention of this post, so I had a solution to my dilemma!

I have a mile's worth of Cat 5 kicking around my house, so I decided to make the extension cables with it. I purchased a wire stripper that could handle 24 awg and a cheap barrel crimping tool for the connectors. I already had a bunch of 550 paracord and a Cat 5 jacket stripper. I purchased the connectors and sockets from Newark.com (no minimum order and cheap shipping) and some heat shrink from Amazon.

I took me a few practice strips and crimps to get it down, but I was able to make 3 16" extension cables fairly quickly. I hooked everything up in my case and voila, I am now able to control the LLs on a separate channel!

Here is my first RGB extension cable:

axVpuX1.jpg?1

8RsBxeI.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning my 1000d build and thanks to DevBikers information in this thread I will also make my own cables. I did want to buy cables from piratedog_tech, but shipping to Germany, customs and import feas make it way to expensive.

I tried finding the correct connectors on different sites in the EU and couldn't find them. Reichelt does no longer list all necessary Molex parts for Fan Hub Splitters, RGB Fan Extensions etc. But I found one shop http://www.buerklin.com, which has reasonable shipping costs and doesn't ship only to companies. I haven't ordered the parts yet but plan to at the end of the month.

Maybe DevBiker could ad that source to the thread.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Have anyone tried 16020107 pin for RGB Fans instead of 0016020114?

In Molex datasheet it is says that they are alternatives. And 16020107 is $0.1 for piece and 0016020114 is $0.5 for piece. Haven't tried it, just thinking to buy

One is cut tape and designed to be used in machines. They come connected to a tape strip and would need to be separated from that strip before manual crimping. The other is loose and easier to handle manually. Other than that, I think that they are the same.

If getting the CT version, get extra. It's highly likely that you'll ruin a few when separating it from the tape manually.

Thx! I've just got info from Molex directly. You're wright!

That's the same pins just one on tape and other separately by piece. Oh, and separated ones are with gold on the end of pin. And 5 time price dropped.

For separating I've got special tool.

• 1 month later...
I want to extend the 3pin cable coming out from my Corsair waterblock. It has a Molex 50-57-9403.

Whats the male counterpart? I can see that it fits a 3pin fan header, which means I can use a male fan header, but it doesnt lock into place.

Any help?

Thanks!

That's the same as a strip extension. Part numbers are already listed in the post.

That fan header? It's not for RGB. It's a standard fan connector that you can use any fan extension for. It's used for pump speed control and tachometer.

• 1 month later...

And an update:

I found everything at Buerklin!

I also bought toughcablepro Cat5e cable (which I hope is not too stiff)

https://www.ui.com/accessories/toughcable/

as well as this Molex crimping tool (I hope it’s suitable for the job).

SN-28B Crimping Tool for Dupont/JST/Molex 18-28 AWG

https://www.cableworks.gr/ilektronika/category-464/sn-28b-crimping-tool-for-dupont-jst-molex-18-28-awg/

More news soon,... I hope.

Just received all required items but apparently I miscalculated 2 things on which I would appreciate your opinion...

The Cat5e cable I bought does not include 8x twisted strand cables but 8x single “solid” 24awg conductor cables. Would that be ok?

Also, which cable stripper would you recommend for these very thin 24awg cables. I had one cable stripper certified for 0.5mm but completely cuts/destroys the cable.

Thank you!!!

The crimper should be OK. I'm not sure the brand because ... well ... it's all Greek to me. ;-)

The Cat5e should be OK.

As for the cable stripper - on the video, I used precision manual strippers that would strip down to AWG 30. Now, solid wire will be thinner than stranded wire of the same gauge but that should still be OK as long as your precision strippers can handle it.

The crimper should be OK. I'm not sure the brand because ... well ... it's all Greek to me. ;-)

The Cat5e should be OK.

As for the cable stripper - on the video, I used precision manual strippers that would strip down to AWG 30. Now, solid wire will be thinner than stranded wire of the same gauge but that should still be OK as long as your precision strippers can handle it.

Thank you!!! :)

Just wondering if anyone can comment on the new QL series fans and their rgb 4 pin cables. I'm building a 1000D system and I'm in need of RGB extension cables for them. I can't find anyone who explicitly supports them for their cables. Cheers

They work the same as the rest of the Corsair RGB Fan Cables. No different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

i stumbled across this Thread in search for answers but cant sort the final things out.

Maybe someone can tell me how i can connect the Lian Li Strimer Plus 24pin and 8 Pin to iCUE. I found this Adapter cable but unfortunately the shipping cost and customs fee are too high: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-Adapter/372521827376?hash=item56bc07fc30

It shouldnt be that hard to build an own adapter but i dont know how to sort the Pins and how to make 3 Pin to 4 Pin.

Big thanks in advance

Hey Folks,

i stumbled across this Thread in search for answers but cant sort the final things out.

Maybe someone can tell me how i can connect the Lian Li Strimer Plus 24pin and 8 Pin to iCUE. I found this Adapter cable but unfortunately the shipping cost and customs fee are too high: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-Aura-Mystic-Light-A-RGB-Adapter/372521827376?hash=item56bc07fc30

It shouldnt be that hard to build an own adapter but i dont know how to sort the Pins and how to make 3 Pin to 4 Pin.

Big thanks in advance

It's not 3 pin to 4 pin ... it's 3 pin to 3 pin. With the Strimer Plus, you'll need to use a motherboard style ARGB cable. With that, pin 3 is blank/not connected. On the Corsair side, the pinouts are +5V/Data/Ground. On the motherboard side, it's +5V/Data/NC/Ground.