Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian 1000D Build Log/How to Guide

I dunno if this is going to help anyone, but here's this document. Obsidian 1000D Unofficial User Manual

I'd like to illustrate it with some of the images in this thread (and some of my own), but I don't know if you guys would be down for that. Zotty particularly has some really good right-in-the-beginning pictures (which I never remember to take).

Pretty much just posted this in from Word, so it's pretty fragmentary. Also missing a few sections near the end.

hey bud..

imho... keep it politics free

But it’s the flagship case. Corsair’s piece de resistance. There’s no manual? Not even a cheap rice paper manual vaguely gesturing at how the various parts work?

Nope. Not even a PDF to download.

While I’m at a loss for why Corsair didn’t provide a basic user manual for a basic build,

there is an online quick start guide.. which is here https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/OBSIDIAN_1000D_QSG_Poster.pdf

here to help and not instigate discussion thats off topic for what you see out to achieve (i know,,, been there done that)

1, you missed the 4 x 120mm tray.. https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Obsidian-1000D-4x-120mm-Fan-Tray/p/CC-8900177

2, 240mm rads will not fit direct to back of the case. fans would need to go on first which makes it aesthetically displeasing unless running push/pull which then covers a good portion of your motherboard.

3, Rad orientation depends on the build/tubing runs, I have seen both top and bottom. both have merits.

4, using hardline totally changes how you plumb rads in. access which is hard at the back of the case. may require soft tube running in the back

5, use the supplied SSD screws from the case to mount pump mounts to tray

6, expansion shroud needs to be modded to clear video outputs on back of GPU when using ITX mount

7, Exhaust vs intake.. users choice... i advise all intake aside from rear fans. differs build to build

Lastly, you are prob better to do a build log that features what you did. trying to cover everything is just plain impossible. again. been there done that. you know your build. you know how you set it up.. best to cover that rather than a one size fits all. which is doesnt lol

good luck man

Edited by Zotty

• 2 weeks later...
Dumb question on the fans power, does that have to plug into the commander pro? or can i use a splitter to power them all off my motherboard? I have a 1->10 splitter that ive been using off my motherboard to power all the fans while waiting for the RGB extenders to arrive. Edited by xolinlevh

1000d comes with a Commander Pro that as 6 Fan headers.. power wise it will cope with around 8 fans.. a lot of us are using powered PWN Hubs on those headers...

http://i.imgur.com/Q2bE2bml.jpg

Click the image for full res

Thank you! I was wondering if i had done something wrong resulting in none of my fans lighting up, then realized i hadn't plugged power in to the 1000D's commander pro lol. All working now! just gotta do a bit more cable management and hopefully be done :)

Edited by xolinlevh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zotty,

Found this post while trying to figure out how to put two res/pump combos into my commander pro. as far as items to go into the commander pro I have 2 fans, the cpu block and the two pump/res combos. I could really do with some help if you are able.

thanks

Thanks so much for quick reply...

I have bought a load of new hardware for new build inc commander pro. to go into it I am wanting to put 2 corsair RBG fans, their RBG water block, a couple of lighting strips but also 2 of the XD5 RGB pump/res combos. From ready the instal guides before the stuff has come I have found that they tell you to plug the XD5 pump/res combo into specific fan/temp ports, so they work correctly. To have both pump/res combos do i need to buy a second commander pro or is there another way around this? TY!

Right.... I have 2 pumps......

i have them in ports 5 and ports 6 and have the probes in ports 3 and 4..

but.. i do not use the standard hydrox curves.. i set my own custom curves up in icue. which works fine as you can tie custom curves to any probe you like....

hope this helps and feel free to ask further questions

:)

I am pretty sure I may have asked you this before but you have all your leds going to the one PSU 5v rail right?

I've been troubleshooting for months and can't seem to find the source of my constantly breaking ll120 rgbs.

I've replaced fans and hubs, and did all the checks to find sources of problems and it just all leads back to something with the PSU or the Fans themselves.

I'm going to have to start again with a new PSU and 30 new fans and quite possibly all the wiring to maybe solve this problem :[pouts:

I am pretty sure I may have asked you this before but you have all your leds going to the one PSU 5v rail right?

I've been troubleshooting for months and can't seem to find the source of my constantly breaking ll120 rgbs.

I've replaced fans and hubs, and did all the checks to find sources of problems and it just all leads back to something with the PSU or the Fans themselves.

I'm going to have to start again with a new PSU and 30 new fans and quite possibly all the wiring to maybe solve this problem :[pouts:

The AX1600 has a 30A 5V rail. While it's a beast on the 12V rail, it doesn't seem to handle 5V usage very well. What's the 5V reading from your CoPro?

• 2 weeks later...
The AX1600 has a 30A 5V rail. While it's a beast on the 12V rail, it doesn't seem to handle 5V usage very well. What's the 5V reading from your CoPro?

That's what I figured. I asked if zotty has all the rgb fans leds and so on going to the one PSU because I'm not sure it can handle it. Otherwise I am stumped on why my fans keep going faulty and flickering ruining the entire chain.

I have 3 CoPros in my build to split the control of lighting.

Hello guys! Really new here love the builds i just bought the 1000D planning on doing my first ever build with it and its going to be a dual systems love that case even when its empty 😭 the build will have Primary: 10th gen I9 with the new 3090 Secondary: will have the I9 9900k with the new 3090 I’m looking for a dual thick 480mm radiators and looking to put front and back fans on them which ones are the best in the market is there anyway you guys tell me or direct me to the right one. Thank you.

Hello guys! Really new here love the builds i just bought the 1000D planning on doing my first ever build with it and its going to be a dual systems love that case even when its empty 😭 the build will have Primary: 10th gen I9 with the new 3090 Secondary: will have the I9 9900k with the new 3090 I’m looking for a dual thick 480mm radiators and looking to put front and back fans on them which ones are the best in the market is there anyway you guys tell me or direct me to the right one. Thank you.

Hey man... if you was looking to stay with Corsair RGB fans. then 'the best' is normally classed as the ML RGB series of fans when it comes to performance... maybe start with looking at those?

I my self i run LL's and/or QL fans. i am no over clocking demon and live in the UK so no crazy temps to deal with.. pretty RGB but apparently i lose some high RPM performance.. which as of yet.. for my needs. not needed and rare i see my current fans over 1k rpm.. normally they sit around 750rpm.. which is where the ML's may take the lead again as they will run much slower than the LL/QL fans..

running 2 x 480mm and 2 x 360mm rads with 32 fans in total. single system/dual loops

Hi all,

I am in the early planning stage of a 1000D build that I will start in November/December when buying the case, and wanted to follow Zotty’s build diagram with the 32 fans all connected to the single CoPro.

I got a little concerned however, when reading Fwashy and DevBiker’s posts about the AX1600i, which is the PSU I have in my current build.

Will I be unable to follow Zotty’s setup when using my (very expensive) PSU, or am I misunderstanding things?

hi buddy... you may find you need to turn down LED brightness a little if using 'white' lighting to stop its from spinning its fan up.... Running an AX1200i my self and surviving...

Thanks for your reply.

Would the choice of fans affect this, say would QLs worsen the problem compared to LLs and they to MLs and so on?

I was thinking of going for static colour(perhaps 255.0.255) as my primary setting with some effects depending on my mood, while running the fans at most 1000rpm.

From tests DevBiker has done. QL fans draw slightly less than LL's do, and indeed yes ML's do draw the least when it comes to RGB.. i have 32 LL fans installed my self. but will shortly be switching out half of them for QL's. until such a time as Corsair give us a higher rated 5v rail or RGB specific PSU i will just run brightness levels a tad lower and/or avoid static white...

I've just been skimming through the threads of this forum and i'm in awe at all the work and help you're providing here. I already got a lot of questions of mine answered and i find the posts of others very inspiring. I'm new here but i'm happy i found this place :sunglasse

Thank you! :) that alone makes it all worth while! good luck on your quest buddy :). welcome aboard