Corsair Community

PC sudden shutdown and electrical buzzing noises during games

Kujen

My PC suddenly shutdown and restarted itself the other day while I was playing Civilization VI. It was as if there was a power outage, but I have it connected to a UPS. Could it be my PSU? Also, it’s been making a lot of electrical buzzing noise during games for the past year or two, and seems to be getting worse. It is loud enough to hear every time I play a game, unless I use headphones. I assumed it’s annoying but harmless coil whine. Should I RMA? Is it dangerous to use in the mean time? It’s the only PSU I have (HX750 bought around 5 years ago).

Here’s a video I made to test whether it was my GPU or PSU making the noise. It gets louder when I move it down to the PSU.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Kujen

My PC suddenly shutdown and restarted itself the other day while I was playing Civilization VI. It was as if there was a power outage, but I have it connected to a UPS. Could it be my PSU? Also, it’s been making a lot of electrical buzzing noise during games for the past year or two, and seems to be getting worse. It is loud enough to hear every time I play a game, unless I use headphones. I assumed it’s annoying but harmless coil whine. Should I RMA? Is it dangerous to use in the mean time? It’s the only PSU I have (HX750 bought around 5 years ago).

Here’s a video I made to test whether it was my GPU or PSU making the noise. It gets louder when I move it down to the PSU.

When I used to have an UPS, my AX860i "buzzed" several times, for 3-4 seconds, but never reset the pc. When I threw the UPS up (batteries gone), I've never ever heard that buzz anymore.

Some say that not all kind of UPS can work together with all kind of PSUs, it dependes on the wave form thet work with (or something like that).

May Corsair Customer Service can tell us what kind of UPS is better for this PSU.

Baio

When I used to have an UPS, my AX860i "buzzed" several times, for 3-4 seconds, but never reset the pc. When I threw the UPS up (batteries gone), I've never ever heard that buzz anymore.

Some say that not all kind of UPS can work together with all kind of PSUs, it dependes on the wave form thet work with (or something like that).

May Corsair Customer Service can tell us what kind of UPS is better for this PSU.

Baio

The buzzing noise has been occurring since before I added the UPS. It occurs constantly during gaming, but quiet when idle. I’ve tried with two different video cards, and the noise is the same.

Edited by Kujen

The buzzing noise has been occurring since before I added the UPS. It occurs constantly during gaming, but quiet when idle. I’ve tried with two different video cards, and the noise is the same.

So, it can't be blamed on the UPS.

Do you use any power extension cable?

The buzz is still there if you start the system with essential hardware only?

Baio

So, it can't be blamed on the UPS.

Do you use any power extension cable?

The buzz is still there if you start the system with essential hardware only?

Baio

No extension cables. The buzz only occurs during gaming/heavy loads. As soon as I close a game the noise stops. Which is why I’ve been thinking coil whine, but the fact that it has gotten more noticeable over time and the recent shutdown is concerning to me.

No extension cables. The buzz only occurs during gaming/heavy loads. As soon as I close a game the noise stops. Which is why I’ve been thinking coil whine, but the fact that it has gotten more noticeable over time and the recent shutdown is concerning to me.

Can you try another VGA in your system?

Do you have the possibility to try the PSU in another pc?

In those matters you can't do much more than try to exclude one component per time. And if none fails, you go and search for problematic couples.

As far as my experience goes, buzz and coil whine have very different sounds, hard to think you can misunderstand one with the other.

Baio

Can you try another VGA in your system?

Do you have the possibility to try the PSU in another pc?

In those matters you can't do much more than try to exclude one component per time. And if none fails, you go and search for problematic couples.

As far as my experience goes, buzz and coil whine have very different sounds, hard to think you can misunderstand one with the other.

Baio

I’ve tried with a GTX 780 and now a 1070 Ti with no difference. Unfortunately I don’t have another PC to try the PSU in, nor another PSU to try in my PC. Regarding coil whine vs buzzing, which do you think it sounds like in the video? I’ve done multiple recordings like that, to try and pinpoint which component is causing the noise and it’s definitely coming from the PSU. I’ve read a few other threads with similar noises. I thought it was just a noise I’d have to live with, but I’m concerned now that my PC randomly shut off.

sounds like bad UPS power, try using a straight to the wall plug and see if that works better

It’s the same with UPS, straight to wall, or surge protector. I mentioned the UPS because the way the PC suddenly turned off looked just like a power outage, no blue screen, but there wasn’t a power outage.

It’s the same with UPS, straight to wall, or surge protector. I mentioned the UPS because the way the PC suddenly turned off looked just like a power outage, no blue screen, but there wasn’t a power outage.

Several faults can cause a box to crash dead.

My X470 board was a challenge to stabilize, took a disassembly and reassembly to stabilize it

Usually if there is no crash BSOD then there is likely a hardware fault

the corsair psu does not make a very good scapegoat

I’ve tried with a GTX 780 and now a 1070 Ti with no difference. Unfortunately I don’t have another PC to try the PSU in, nor another PSU to try in my PC. Regarding coil whine vs buzzing, which do you think it sounds like in the video? I’ve done multiple recordings like that, to try and pinpoint which component is causing the noise and it’s definitely coming from the PSU. I’ve read a few other threads with similar noises. I thought it was just a noise I’d have to live with, but I’m concerned now that my PC randomly shut off.

Sorry but I can't help you with the noise, as in your first post I can't see any video... maybe the problem is this pc I'm using at the moment.

By the way, at this point if I was you I'd seriously consider to RMA the PSU or replace it... it's a too crucial component to just have a suspect.

Baio

EDIT: finally I could "hear" your video on my home pc… definetly to me it's no coil whine.

Edited by Baio