Corsair Community

Replacement CX650M started making loud noise in 2 days

arc1

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with my Corsair PSU and I am hoping to get some help from this forum.

I had my CX600M from Dec 2015. It ran quietly for 1 year+ until April/May this year when it started making clicking noise (I believe it was coil whine - [ame]

[/ame]). I then requested RMA. Since CX600M was discontinued, I received CX650M as replacement.

The first replacement worked fine for 2 days before it started making a really loud grinding/whirring noise. I kept the PSU for 2 weeks and observed that the noise comes and goes randomly. Turning it off for a few hours seem to help stop the noise but it returned anywhere from 1 hour to as long as 1 day from cold boot.

I requested another RMA and got another replacement last week. It worked silently until today when it made that same loud grinding/whirring noise. I posted some videos below for reference.

CX650M running silently- [ame]

[/ame]

1st replacement - [ame]

[/ame]

2nd replacement - [ame]

[/ame]

Could there be anything wrong with my setup? Or am I just unlucky to get 2 defective PSU in a row. Is there anyway to fix this issue? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by arc1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there! I'd like to assist you with diagnostics before I suggest you get it replaced.

I'd like for you to record some video (if you can) of when this event happens again. This time, stop your fans from moving by pressing against the center of the blades.

I have a rousing suspicion that it might actually be one of the case fans that is doing this as I've personally heard this sound before. It's the sound when a rifle bearing fan's lubricant dries out somehow and grinds against the blade center.

Hello there! I'd like to assist you with diagnostics before I suggest you get it replaced.

I'd like for you to record some video (if you can) of when this event happens again. This time, stop your fans from moving by pressing against the center of the blades.

I have a rousing suspicion that it might actually be one of the case fans that is doing this as I've personally heard this sound before. It's the sound when a rifle bearing fan's lubricant dries out somehow and grinds against the blade center.

Thanks for replying.

This is an audio file where you can hear the noise: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mbGoFIVArp

The problem is not because of my case fans, I turn off all of my case fans and the noise remains.

I also have fans running on my Asus Dual GTX 1060 and the fan from my CPU cooler Cryorig H7. My case is a NZXT S340.

I tried stop the fan from my PSU but I can't. it's pretty difficult to get to touch the center of the blades. But now the noise has gone when I tilted the case and placed it horizontally for 30 seconds when I tried stop the PSU fans. Now I dont hear the noise. I hope the noise will not return.

• 1 year later...
Hi, I'm having the same issue with my CX650M. It started making that vibration noise around 3 months after the purchase (new). I'm waiting for the seller to send me the proof of purchase so I can attach it to the ticket to get a replacement. Could anybody solve it without flipping the psu upside down?