Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

No issues so far with my LPX 2400 C14 kit at XMP on a Z170 Pro Gaming. Kind of glad I went for low frequency, low CL memory now.

Hopefully the issues with higher speeds get resolved though, at least ASUS is actually pushing out BIOS updates, rather than nothing at all.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick update.

Updated BIOS to 908 on the Z170 pro gaming motherboard.

Still not able to run XMP profile 3200mhz as specified.

Can run a stable 2800. far cry from 3200 but it is what it is. Hoping for consistent bios updates that will eventually resolve this XMP issue.

Quick update.

Updated BIOS to 908 on the Z170 pro gaming motherboard.

Still not able to run XMP profile 3200mhz as specified.

Can run a stable 2800. far cry from 3200 but it is what it is. Hoping for consistent bios updates that will eventually resolve this XMP issue.

Yeah same issue here mate, 908 bios wont run at 3200 but 2800 is fine! any higher and it tends to not boot correctly

Yeah same issue here mate, 908 bios wont run at 3200 but 2800 is fine! any higher and it tends to not boot correctly

Do this;

1. Press F5 key while in BIOS to load optimized defaults

2. Press F10 key then OK to save and reboot

3. Choose XMP Ai Overclock Tuner setting while in BIOS

4. Move down to "DRAM Voltage" field then type 1.37 <ENTER>

5. Move to next field "CPU VCCIO Voltage" then type 1.20 <ENTER>

6. Move to next field "CPU System Agent Voltage" then type 1.20 <ENTER>

7. Press F10 key then OK to save and reboot

Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6 above using just the (+) key to increase voltage one press at a time if you still have issues.

Do this;

Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6 above using just the (+) key to increase voltage one press at a time if you still have issues.

This frequency does not change our motherboard, it does not make an adjustment. z170 pro gaming.

Can you show the pictures

automatically change its settings by going back to get out of there.

Do this;

Yeah tried all that last night, made no difference at all. Went up to 1.25 on VCCIO and the System Agent and 1.37 on DRAM voltage and it still refuses to boot! so still running at 2800 with my not so fancy 3200 memory!

Greybeard you owe us some answers or an update atleast now as this thread is expanding and you haven't said a word in ages on this topic. update please!!

Yeah tried all that last night, made no difference at all. Went up to 1.25 on VCCIO and the System Agent and 1.37 on DRAM voltage and it still refuses to boot! so still running at 2800 with my not so fancy 3200 memory!

Greybeard you owe us some answers or an update atleast now as this thread is expanding and you haven't said a word in ages on this topic. update please!!

That board has similar XMP issues with George Skillful memory as well. Asus claims it'll be addressed eventually with BIOS updates. You have confirmed that increasing the relevant voltages isn't a workaround for that board. It is for most other Z170 boards with that issue.

Hi Guys

Exactly the same issue here:sigh!:,

Mobo Asus Z170-A (BIOS 1203 latest)

RAM Kingston DDR4 2666 4x4GB C15 (HX426C15FBK4/16)

yes i know it's corsair forum and Asus z170 pro gaming mb thread, however the issue\symptoms are regardless ram/mobo, its seems as Z170 chipset or mobo issue.

1st step : XMP 2666Mhz - no errors

2nd step :

I've found this thread

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/762169-Kingston-HyperX-FURY-16GB-DDR4-2666-CL15-HX426C15FBK4-16

so I setup my RAM 3000 15-15-15-35 1N 1.30V and is 100% MemStable i can run 8h test and there is no errors at all :!:

System is stable games/all memory/cpu test etc...

However as NJC mentioned "cold start" is total lottery, sometimes boot up sometimes won't :evil: waiting for another Asus BIOS.... :[pouts:

Tips for memory issues for Asus motherboards. I use it a lot.

Upgrade to latest BIOS

than, I usually check the timing on the Corsair website and set on the BIOS manually.

For example:

Memory Size

16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)

SPD Latency

15-15-15-36

SPD Speed

2133MHz

SPD Voltage

1.2V

Speed Rating

PC4-25600 (3200MHz)

Tested Latency

16-18-18-36

Tested Speed

3200Mhz

Tested Voltage

1.35V

AI Tweaker -> DRAM Frequency -> (DDR4-3000)

DRAM-> Select Timing Control

1) DRAM CAS# LATENCY – 16

2) DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay – 18

3) DRAM RAS# PRE time – 18

4) DRAM RAS# ACT Time– 36

Return to Extreme Tweaker

5) DRAM VOLTAGE – 1.35V (0.1V+ if it is still unstable)

Save settings and reboot

Yup! done all of the above, pretty much pointless with the state the current Asus Z170 boards are in, yeah if i was running some slower memory it would be fine but trying to achieve 3200 speeds just seems impossible until they fix it with some bios updates, if thats even possible! starting to doubt it atm.

It is not like all ASUS mbs have problems running high memory frequencies, at least i can reliably POST with 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX3M4A2800C16 overclocked @ DDR3-3333 16-16-16-35 1T 1.36V on Maximus VIII Gene. For that i only had to manually tweak VCCSA and VCCIO pretty much.

Also i don't think you should use the voltages Eldata gave in #55 for VCCSA and especially VCCIO. If i raise them this much, that results in infrequent blackscreens on my boards HDMI out. So either one or both are are probably way too high.

• Corsair Employee

Alright, I just got an update from our DRAM, and according to them, Asus is fully aware of this XMP profile not loading properly in BIOS with Z170 boards. From the sound of it, a later BIOS rev will address this issue.

In the meantime, for those Z170 owners that have a kits that's rated at 3000-3200, you guys can RMA those kits and we'll get them replaced for you.

I'll provide more update as they come along.

Alright, I just got an update from our DRAM, and according to them, Asus is fully aware of this XMP profile not loading properly in BIOS with Z170 boards. From the sound of it, a later BIOS rev will address this issue.

In the meantime, for those Z170 owners that have a kits that's rated at 3000-3200, you guys can RMA those kits and we'll get them replaced for you.

I was going to buy the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + i5-6600K, with these:

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288) (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Reading this thread I feel like I should not do that, can someone help me get the right ones please? Feel kinda lost here, if all of them have so much trouble, what can I buy to have no issues?!

I have the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 kit. Why do we need to RMA if you say it will be fixed in an upcoming BIOS update? Is there something wrong with the kits?

I have the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 kit. Why do we need to RMA if you say it will be fixed in an upcoming BIOS update? Is there something wrong with the kits?

Yeah indeed what Smitty said, if there's nothing wrong with the kits and it's a bios issue what is RMA'ing going to achieve?

Z170 PRO GAMING BIOS 1102 is out (Improved system stability), anyone tested it yet?

I'm still running 0703, which seems the most stable for me. With the same settings on a higher version of the BIOS it won't boot due to the XMP profile, I can get it to 3000Mhz with this BIOS.

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Edited by ztjuh

Z170 PRO GAMING BIOS 1102 is out (Improved system stability), anyone tested it yet?

I have ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING and Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15.

I also have the same problem in XMP.

1. BIOS 0802
    can solve the problem. See my solution.
  2. BIOS 0803
  3. BIOS 0908
    No luck. XMP causes "Overclocking failed".
  4. BIOS 1102

My solution is:

• Change Fast-Boot to disabled.
  • Change VCCIO to 1.175v.
  • Change VCCSA to 1.225v.
  • Save and reboot.
  • Change memory profile to XMP.
  • Save and reboot.

I have ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING and Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15.

I also have the same problem in XMP.

1. BIOS 0802
  2. BIOS 0803
  3. BIOS 0908
  4. BIOS 1102

My solution is:

• Change Fast-Boot to disabled.
  • Change VCCIO to 1.175v.
  • Change VCCSA to 1.225v.
  • Save and reboot.
  • Change memory profile to XMP.
  • Save and reboot.

Ahh you don't have 3200Mhz, I can get it up to 3000Mhz already without changing IO or SA.

Ahh you don't have 3200Mhz, I can get it up to 3000Mhz already without changing IO or SA.

Yep, mine is 3000MHz. But the results are different by bios revision.

Using rev0703, my memory works fine with Fast-Boot=disabled only. without increasing IO and SA voltage.

In short, I would like to say:

• Fast-Boot=disabled may increase boot stability. Only works with older bios?
  • Increasing IO and SA voltage will give us some stability, but it is not silver bullet.
  • Recent bios will give me worse result in XMP.
  • ASUS mobos will not boot correctly even if we choose their QVL memory :-P

Yep, mine is 3000MHz. But the results are different by bios revision.

Using rev0703, my memory works fine with Fast-Boot=disabled only. without increasing IO and SA voltage.

In short, I would like to say:

• Fast-Boot=disabled may increase boot stability. Only works with older bios?
  • Increasing IO and SA voltage will give us some stability, but it is not silver bullet.
  • Recent bios will give me worse result in XMP.
  • ASUS mobos will not boot correctly even if we choose their QVL memory :-P

All Asus Z170 MBs having XMP issues is a myth. Check posts 2278 and 2279 in the thread below;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/2270#post_24628651

Even though these two posts are about the Z170-A board, the Pro Gaming probably falls in the same category.

It is not like all ASUS mbs have problems running high memory frequencies, at least i can reliably POST with 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX3M4A2800C16 overclocked @ DDR3-3333 16-16-16-35 1T 1.36V on Maximus VIII Gene. For that i only had to manually tweak VCCSA and VCCIO pretty much.

Also i don't think you should use the voltages Eldata gave in #55 for VCCSA and especially VCCIO. If i raise them this much, that results in infrequent blackscreens on my boards HDMI out. So either one or both are are probably way too high.

You seem to be overclocking already overclocked memory and using the iGPU. Most guys here are just trying to get the advertised XMP setting to work.