Corsair Community

Issues with H115i Platinum and Noctua Fans

ThiagoTGM

Hello,

I just got a new H115i Platinum, but it seems that when I hook my Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 fans to it, the controller goes out of whack. More specifically, setting it to any of the default profiles or a custom fan curve causes them to never spin, while setting them to any fixed RPM other than max causes them to spin up and down nonstop. If I plug in the included fans (which are currently installed somewhere else in the case), it seems to work fine.

Is this a known issue with the built-in fan controller? Is there something I have to do in iCUE to make it work with the non-default fans?

Thanks in advance.

That's correct. The Noctua Industrial F12 and A14 3000 RPM PWM versions have a PWM incompatibility with Corsair controllers. That is limited to the 3000 rpm version only, whereas the 2000 PWM industrial versions of both fans have been used for years without issue. However, just recently someone conveyed the same difficulty on the Platinum cooler with the 2000 rpm model, so it is possible the Platinum fan controller is different from other Corsair fan controllers. Thus far there is only one report, but then most people likely do not strip the RGB fans off a Platinum and replace them with Industrial fans after paying for the extra hardware.

On the more positive side, there is no reason to use a 3000 rpm fan on a radiator of that size and density. It will have no return value in cooling past 2000 rpm and the optimal speed is likely well below that for your wattage. If you are determined to use black Noctua fans, the Chromax line is confirmed to work on the Platinum controllers. Other fans to be wary of with well documented PWM issues are the BeQuiet Silent Wings 2/3 and the EK Vardar PWM line.

That depends on which side you want to say is at fault. Apparently there is a little less standardization in PWM signals than you would think. The other Industrials work (save the 2000 PWM on the Platinum and that is still one reported incident). All the other Noctua fans work on all the controllers. Thus something is different about the Industrial vs the other Noctua fans. They tend not to mince words. "Industrial" means for industrial use. There may be design elements specifically related to that purpose.

The H115i is quite literally the only device I've seen so far to exhibit this issue, with even Corsair's own older offerings working fine with the fans, so if anything I'm more willing to give Noctua the benefit of the doubt than Corsair (not to mention Corsair's long history of software and firmware issues).