Corsair Community

LL120 Fans flickering after startup

EddyJ1

why is this software STILL reverting back to rainbow colours? why dont the colours get stored in the device itself instead of having it like a christmas tree every time i restart my machine, come on corsair!

I want to set my whole machine to Aorus Orange, but at the moment it keeps going back to rainbow mode when the software isnt running, this is pretty poor.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this issue has been present for a very long time.....Corsair, you really need to do something about this.

I'm actually considering switching to thermaltake fans, as they can work with aura sync.....maybe then I'll actually be able to use my motherboard LED's without corsair software conflicting.

Those of you still having issues can try this:

• Go to Windows Settings > System > Power & Sleep
  • Look for the "Additional Power Settings" This will bring up a second window.
  • In here click on, "Choose what the power button does"
  • Now select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
  • Now you will see the options at the bottom come to life.
  • You will need to turn off Fast Start-up by un-checking the box.
  • Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom to finish.

This will fix the problem when you turn on the computer, but wont stop it from happening when you resume from sleep.

Please also be aware if you have a mechanical hard drive as your boot device this will make your computer boot much slower but for those with an SSD, you shouldn't notice much difference.

The Devs are aware and are working very hard to fix this problem but in the mean time this should help a little.

Hey, hey.

Worked like a charm.

With that provided, Corsair has more information now. May the next update whack this one for good.

for those of you who use windows and "sleep mode" like i do when not using my computer, this is the very easy solution to restart the corsair service after turning your computer back on from sleep. it's as simple as creating a task in task scheduler to restart the service after waking up from sleep.

i posted it in another thread, here is the copy/paste

you can easily do what i did which was to create a task in windows task scheduler to restart the corsairservice after wake up from sleep.

create a new task "corsair lightning service restart" (or whatever), user System, trigger - begin task "on an event" (basic), Log: System , Source: Power-Troubleshooter, Event ID 1 (which means waking up from sleep), delay task for a couple seconds (i put 3 seconds)

Actions tab: action - start a program

settings program/script - net

add argument - stop CorsairService

conditions tab, un-select everything so it doesn't wait for idle or anything like that

settings tab - allow run on demand, stop if run longer than 1 hour, force it to stop

that's it. whenever my comp wakes up from sleep, 3 seconds later it restarts the corsairservice and light flickering is gone.

Good to know other people have the same issue and it seems everyone has 3+ fans and 4 LED strips, I figured if you go to task manager then services and restart the Corsair service it works without a reinstall but still inconvenient.

I wonder if there are any logs we can post to help debug it, hopefully can get an official response

This trick worked perfectly.

Hmm, that's interesting. When you navigate to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, is the Corsair service named any differently?

No need to go through all that brother... press the 3 keys ( Ctrl, Alt, Del) at the same time & click on task manager & then go to services & you will see the file

Those of you still having issues can try this:

• Go to Windows Settings > System > Power & Sleep
  • Look for the "Additional Power Settings" This will bring up a second window.
  • In here click on, "Choose what the power button does"
  • Now select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
  • Now you will see the options at the bottom come to life.
  • You will need to turn off Fast Start-up by un-checking the box.
  • Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom to finish.

This will fix the problem when you turn on the computer, but wont stop it from happening when you resume from sleep.

Please also be aware if you have a mechanical hard drive as your boot device this will make your computer boot much slower but for those with an SSD, you shouldn't notice much difference.

The Devs are aware and are working very hard to fix this problem but in the mean time this should help a little.

This is not a fix, its workaround.

This is not a fix, its workaround.

yep.. no one said it wasn't dude ;)....

For now I have Windows Fast Start Up disabled which stops the flashing on start up.. as I don't use sleep I don't get it on resume....

Both bugs are being worked on as we speak.. fingers crossed the team come up with something soon Dude.

Yes you are right this is not a fix, unfortunately I don't have the ability to fix the issue as I don't work for Corsair and I am not a programmer. I just thought those of you who were having this issue and wanted to find a way to make it stop might find this useful. I apologise if the workaround I spent time finding and then shared for free is not good enough for you but like I said, the good guys and girls at Corsair are working hard on the issue. Until then, this is the best I can personally come up with.

I was having the same LL fans problem with all iCue builds (I actually reverted back to 3.2.87 a while ago after the full-speed fan issues with one of the 3.3 builds - while neither fixed the flickering LL lights on startup issues, I'm otherwise happy with 3.2.87 - the fan speeds are very responsive).

I use a Commander Pro and two LL fans, with four non-RGB fans (Fractal 3-pin) also running through the CP.

My exact sequence of actions for a workaround every time I'd cold start the PC was as follows:

1. Power on - LL fans enter a weirdly jerky, rough-looking version of default 'rainbow spiral', whether or not I've set iCue to run at startup

2. Load desktop, quit iCue if it had been set to launch at startup, and - regardless of whether or not iCue was open already - launch task manager

3. Kill the two different Corsair services that would always be already running (again, regardless of whether or not iCue had been set to launch at startup) - these would be 'Corsair.Service (32 bit)' (nb. I'm on an entirely 64-bit system) and 'Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe'

4. LL fans would then revert to a smoother version of their default rainbow wave

5. (Re)Launch iCue - after a brief 'no device detected!' warning, it'd find my Commander Pro and the lighting setup would go to what my manual profile was supposed to be.

But!

6. My dashboard would now ONLY show graphs and stats for the Commander Pro, nothing else attached to the motherboard, or the motherboard itself. There wouldn't even be an option to add CPU, GPU, Memory etc - the checkboxes just weren't there. So...

7. Quit iCue (no need to kill the two running Corsair services in Task Manager this time)

8. Relaunch iCue a second time

9. Again after a brief 'no device detected!' warning, it finds my Commander Pro, and the lighting AND dashboard are shown as they should be in the profile I set up. Huzzah!

This was not just 'repeatable', it was EVERY time I switch on the computer. As in, it came to be just another part of my login routine.

Until...

Yesterday I uninstalled a free antivirus (Avira) that I'd been running since I built the rig (and since before I installed any versions of iCue). It had always worked well for me and been pretty unintrusive, but it was causing some issues with another program I'd just installed, and I wanted to give the latter a chance to run unencumbered.

Hey presto, upon rebooting the PC for the first time after removing Avira, iCue launched straight into the correct settings with no messing about needed, for the first time ever. Whaddya know?

Again, prior to removing Avira, it made no difference to the above routine whether I'd set iCue to launch at startup or not - even if it wasn't running at launch, I would still have to go into the Task Manager, kill those same two Corsair services every time, start iCue, quit again, and relaunch a final time to get my full dashboard and lighting profile loaded properly.

Long stort short, my version of 3.2.87 now seems to be functioning perfectly well from a cold start with Commander Pro, LL fans and no free antivirus installed. (Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are both still running at startup, for better or worse.)

Make of all this what you will! Hope it helps someone.

Edited by gomark

I was having the same LL fans problem with all iCue builds (I actually reverted back to 3.2.87 a while ago after the full-speed fan issues with one of the 3.3 builds - while neither fixed the flickering LL lights on startup issues, I'm otherwise happy with 3.2.87 - the fan speeds are very responsive).

I use a Commander Pro and two LL fans, with four non-RGB fans (Fractal 3-pin) also running through the CP.

My exact sequence of actions for a workaround every time I'd cold start the PC was as follows:

1. Power on - LL fans enter a weirdly jerky, rough-looking version of default 'rainbow spiral', whether or not I've set iCue to run at startup

2. Load desktop, quit iCue if it had been set to launch at startup, and - regardless of whether or not iCue was open already - launch task manager

3. Kill the two different Corsair services that would always be already running (again, regardless of whether or not iCue had been set to launch at startup) - these would be 'Corsair.Service (32 bit)' (nb. I'm on an entirely 64-bit system) and 'Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe'

4. LL fans would then revert to a smoother version of their default rainbow wave

5. (Re)Launch iCue - after a brief 'no device detected!' warning, it'd find my Commander Pro and the lighting setup would go to what my manual profile was supposed to be.

But!

6. My dashboard would now ONLY show graphs and stats for the Commander Pro, nothing else attached to the motherboard, or the motherboard itself. There wouldn't even be an option to add CPU, GPU, Memory etc - the checkboxes just weren't there. So...

7. Quit iCue (no need to kill the two running Corsair services in Task Manager this time)

8. Relaunch iCue a second time

9. Again after a brief 'no device detected!' warning, it finds my Commander Pro, and the lighting AND dashboard are shown as they should be in the profile I set up. Huzzah!

This was not just 'repeatable', it was EVERY time I switch on the computer. As in, it came to be just another part of my login routine.

Until...

Yesterday I uninstalled a free antivirus (Avira) that I'd been running since I built the rig (and since before I installed any versions of iCue). It had always worked well for me and been pretty unintrusive, but it was causing some issues with another program I'd just installed, and I wanted to give the latter a chance to run unencumbered.

Hey presto, upon rebooting the PC for the first time after removing Avira, iCue launched straight into the correct settings with no messing about needed, for the first time ever. Whaddya know?

Again, prior to removing Avira, it made no difference to the above routine whether I'd set iCue to launch at startup or not - even if it wasn't running at launch, I would still have to go into the Task Manager, kill those same two Corsair services every time, start iCue, quit again, and relaunch a final time to get my full dashboard and lighting profile loaded properly.

Long stort short, my version of 3.2.87 now seems to be functioning perfectly well from a cold start with Commander Pro, LL fans and no free antivirus installed. (Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are both still running at startup, for better or worse.)

Make of all this what you will! Hope it helps someone.

That's quite interesting. We had some issues, at one point, with Avira causing Link grief as well.

That's quite interesting. We had some issues, at one point, with Avira causing Link grief as well.

Ah...er, except I've just powered on and logged in again after lunch and it's back to normal (flickering on boot --> have to kill running Corsair services in Task Manager --> relaunch iCue --> lights working but no dashboard --> quit iCue again --> relaunch again --> all fine). D'oh!

So apparently ridding myself of Avira hasn't done much after all.

Oh well...! :laughing:

Admittedly I am still on the old 3.2.87 build and can't very well grumble if I'm not running the latest version.

hey corsair i'm still having flickering problems with my LL120, everyday! multiple times a day. please fix the software please. Oh why did i pay 120 bucks for pain. why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This issue is a top priority for them and, it should be resolved in the next build.

Why are all these problems still present with this very expensive rgb stuff, this shouldn't even be released on sale if its not working properly, theres always bloody something not working properly im sick and tired of it.

I just purchased the 3 pack with lighting node combo, and just ran into this issue. Glad to see it is already being worked on!

What the flickering problem you mean? no chance of any software fix there, its a hardware fault, had to send my node pro box back for a replacement. I dont know who checks these things must be a blind man. i had all these stupid problems with my k70 rgb keyboard as well last year, i think im gonna knock corsair in the head and call it a day.

Edited by Paul S

This issue is a top priority for them and, it should be resolved in the next build.

should is not good enough, i have a car for sale, a porsche 911, i want $15,000 for it, but it has no engine, interested?

What the flickering problem you mean? no chance of any software fix there, its a hardware fault, had to send my node pro box back for a replacement. I dont know who checks these things must be a blind man. i had all these stupid problems with my k70 rgb keyboard as well last year, i think im gonna knock corsair in the head and call it a day.

Not true, since a simple restart of the Corsair service fixes it.