Corsair Community

PSU Outputs

Pocah

Hello!

I want to take power from my PC to some external LEDs.

What I want to do is take 12V from an HDD connector outside of the PC.

This will turn on and off with the PC which is ideal.

Total load will not exceed one amp but what I want to know is should I connect a fuse inline just to be safe? Or is the PSU protected well enough that it isn't needed?

The PC is a media PC so it has a minimal PSU in it, a CX430 however I am considering replacing it with an RM550x.

We wouldn't suggest powering anything with the PSU that wasn't designed to be powered by one. If you cause damage to the device or the PSU by using it outside of its intended use you would not be covered by the warranty.

So you are telling me it's not suitable to drive a PC led strip that is just outside the case instead of inside the case?

Sorry but I find that answer really annoying. All it's done is to sidetrack my thread and probably killed it now. I am not concerned about the warranty and I don't want to wander off in to a debate about suitability. All I wanted to know is if the 12V outputs on a Corsair PSU are protected or not. I mean why couldn't you just answer the question?

Whatever, I will fit a fuse. I mean I have four PC's and this is an unimportant one. I wouldn't even bother to return the PSU if it failed.