Corsair Community

Water temp is soo high

deno1000

Hi

I play csgo and i have soo high water temp...How to fix this high water temp? i try balance mode and custom..

My temp CPU ingame 60-75 PUBG

Idle temps CPU 33-40

Water temps ingame 42-50

Water temps idle 30-35

This is normal CPU and water temps or what?

http://prntscr.com/oe8kkn

my PC SPEC:

CPU: Intel i9-9900K@H100I Corsair RGB

MBO: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F GAMING

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB @3200MHz

HDD: SSD ADATA XPG Gammix 1TB M.2 PCIe

VGA: Gigabayte RTX 2070 OC 8GB

Napajanje: Seasonic FOCUS plus 750w gold

Monitor: Benq 24 @144hz

Edited by deno1000

First, your fan curve for the cooler is more similar to a CPU-based fan curve, NOT a cooler based fan curve. You should have your fans increase at lower temps.

Second, what is your room ambient temp and the case internal ambient temp? Do you see the same behavior if you game with the side of the case off?

Finally, can you please describe your airflow situation and fan configuration as well as how they are controlled? It seems very likely, based on what you've described, that the issue is due to waste GPU heat not being managed properly and actually increasing the coolant temperature.

Hi deno1000,

So the 9900K can run a bit hot especially if you are running any kind of compute load. OC'd 9900K's have it well over 200W TDP. Some boards give you an automatic OC by default.

That being said if you are running an overclock that could cause higher temps. Also ambient temps and airflow in the case and room can impact your temps drastically.

Could you provide some info on the room temp, case config and any overclock you have on the CPU? That would give me a better idea on if that is normal for your system.

(Edit): Just reloaded the page and saw the post

So ... you are overclocking your CPU! Probably one of the automatic overclocks - the core voltages tells that pretty clearly. That's heat source #1. Look for something along the lines of "MultiCore Enhancement" (terminology varies by vendor). It doesn't look like overclocking, it doesn't feel like overclocking ... but it is. Asus is particularly notorious for this.

Second, that cooler curve is still geared to CPU temp as the source. Your coolant should never get to 60C. Like ... ever. Look in the cooler FAQ in my sig for some initial guidance on that.

Third ... if your radiator is exhausting, then you are blowing both GPU and VRM waste heat into the radiator, increasing the temperature rather than cooling it. You need to manage that heat OR (better yet) have the radiator as INTAKE.

Edited by DevBiker

So ... you are overclocking your CPU! Probably one of the automatic overclocks - the core voltages tells that pretty clearly. That's heat source #1. Look for something along the lines of "MultiCore Enhancement" (terminology varies by vendor). It doesn't look like overclocking, it doesn't feel like overclocking ... but it is. Asus is particularly notorious for this.

Second, that cooler curve is still geared to CPU temp as the source. Your coolant should never get to 60C. Like ... ever. Look in the cooler FAQ in my sig for some initial guidance on that.

Third ... if your radiator is exhausting, then you are blowing both GPU and VRM waste heat into the radiator, increasing the temperature rather than cooling it. You need to manage that heat OR (better yet) have the radiator as INTAKE.

He isn't overclocking, that I can say for sure since I've been working with him. He was running stock settings but seeing some serious throttling. 47x to 32x after a few seconds running P95. All his case fans were(are) blowing out. Told him to flip the fronts around and also to update his BIOS to 1105 as that gave some serious improvements in power management and performance when I did. Also think he might have some air trapped in the block.

The more you know.....

Hmm.... might be two separate issues. If P95 is throttling in seconds, that's not a cooler issue but voltage/AVX/BIOS settings, etc. That's OK though, you don't need to be running P95 and this can be managed after.

+10-15C rise in coolant temp playing CS:GO is a lot, so there is something going on there that does need to be fixed now. It seems clear the idle temps are not terrible for Summer (low 30s). How fast does the coolant temp go up when you play? Are we talking about several hours or almost immediately?

Easiest way to check for a pump issue and to take GPU heat out of play is to run a soft stress test -- something easy like Intel XTU or the 'Stress test" Linpack from CPU-Z. Those shouldn't get you anywhere near the throttle point while slowly loading up the CPU coolant. And it should be slow! If the coolant temp spikes +6-8C immediately, then there is an issue. If it trickles up +1C every 1-2 minutes, then that is what is expected.

Also, what case is this in and where is the H100i mounted? Top? Exhaust?

Edited by c-attack

Not the user in question but since I am working with him to straighten this out I will answer what I can C.

His cooler is top mounted. Fans are now facing the right way for best airflow, his temps on the coolant are fine, and the pump is working fine, the temps are under better control now due to this. The throttling is gone, now we are just dialing in the speed he would like to top out at which is 4.7/all.

As for the CPUz stress test that WAS also throttling the hell out of it, but see previous statement about fans.

His case is a Be Quiet....crap *goes digging through notes* Silent Base 600 with the fans it came with.

That case has been cited by other users as having an negative effect on coolant temperature for top mounted coolers. Something about the dome top doesn't quite let the heat get away as one would like. Perhaps now with a more traditional air flow set-up the the coolant delta won't be so dramatic. Edited by c-attack

Well heres what is weird about his setup, and for the record got it dialed in for him, the VCore when the board was allowed to adjust the multiplier was jumping as high as 1.380 at 4.2

End result was this, locked the CPU at 4.7G/all for him as he requested and VCore maxes at 1.26ish now with the temps to match (67-69°C). Pretty sure he is sorted and good to go now.

Good, that should stop the throttling and overheating. We'll have to see on the longer duration moderate loads like gaming. Even when the board has gone ROGue, it can't come up with the 300W+ it would take to raise the coolant 15C, so there likely is some environmental aspect to the total temperature as well.

Truth be told I was stunned when I saw the VCore raise to 1.38 and 32x on the CPU. Haven't seen something like that happen in a long time with stock settings on the board. I mean that's closing in on levels of OCing that even I wont touch. Told him to send a note into ASUS about that as I can't think of any reason it would be doing that besides a bug.

Once voltages are under control, it's likely to still have issues. Flip the fans to intake on the radiator so that you aren't exhausting GPU and VRM waste out out the radiator. You should have the radiator as intake, 2 other fans as intake and exhaust in the rear of the motherboard. The rear exhaust will serve to pull the GPU and VRM heat away from the cooler (assuming its on top) and you'll have extreme positive pressure, which will help to keep dust out (as long as your intakes are filtered).

Depending on the case, we've seen top exhaust actually get trapped in the case and build up additional heat - c-attack mentioned this. What happens here is that the radiator exhaust heat never makes it out of the case and you wind up with a heat island at the top of the case. One way to pretty clearly identify this as an issue is to run with the side panels off. Again, flipping the radiator to intake resolves that issue.

Forgot to mention this was done remotely on a system in Croatia :) And with a lot of exacting details to only change certain settings. Normally I wouldn't go this far in something, but decided to see what was going on.

And I also know when to agree with someone and in this last post, DB, I do agree with you but at the same time was going for help that didn't border on a total rebuild more or less for the guy. And while the setup may have not been ideal, it got him where he would like to be. Don't think anyone would complain too hard about 66-69C on the CPU package temps. Though I did have to explain a few things about temp sensors and certain readings.

After (and I know 10-15 minutes is marginal) the temps basically stabilized where I mentioned versus the massive levels of throttling he was seeing. Still doesn't explain why the VCore was going to 1.38+ on auto which is what was part of the issue. The other being all the fans being exhaust. Plus I am rather impressed that a H100i Plat is coping with the 9900K as I really wouldn't go under a H115i myself. Even if it is locked at 4.7G.

Thinking for my next magic trick I'll make peace in the middle east...or at least the next best thing. :P

Forgot to mention that he will be testing this tomorrow more thoroughly in a gaming session on PUBG, so if there are issues I'm sure I will hear about it :P