Corsair Community

Corsair 280x - Could the MSI Gaming X Trio fit in it?

Raviable

Before I talk about this, I have to preface the fact that I have all the parts for this build already, and I'm planning to build it on Christmas eve.

I've recently done some in-depth research about the fitting of this GPU into the case I originally intended on using, for all intents and purposes, this is exactly the Card I'm using: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WRrYcf/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-8-gb-gaming-x-trio-video-card-rtx3070gamingxtrio

Quite obviously, this is quite the huge card and I'm not sure about the ABSOLUTE Clearance, the card I have comes in 140mm, and from what I've heard it only supports that much as well. I'm quite obviously scared, because this is my first actual PC build. I've watched plenty of PC Building videos and I'm not absolutely sure about the length clearance as well. There's this image which I've seen however.

y4mWcmua6l5MAB6CzilDbi04zYs9rKwV4tUsXnu1oCeGlunRvbEo9FqJWeC-MWdehCOFhU5vmqG6NL6b-JQ2I0USrq9dYFTqQviJLhzNc2tE5hpw5Mod36vwTGAfSrYtCb3K31QnSjTOpn-y04ZOx6gzSyXasQ3k8p8Bt7ZEvcUQpTyDR8eCLc0gr-CZQYiRmuREdDsYMujJE884iom2NnrNw?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

This sort of makes me feel as if I could go towards just straight up moving the bottom fan to the top area as an exhaust and go from there with fitting the GPU inside, so I feel comfortable with that. The real problem is that 140mm chamber, on-par with my GPU. Is this an absolute number? Obviously I don't mind getting a tiny bit hacky with certain solutions, but I just really want to know how my Christmas morning will go with this case with that GPU in mind.

I think it will just go in by a whisker, I'm hoping so anyway as I'm putting a similar size card in mine just as soon as I can grab a 3080. My case the 280X is a bit more rammed than the one in your image lol. I did a careful measure just now, it looks promising.

PC02.thumb.jpg.294a577608196b722b2e99920236f1a3.jpg PC01.thumb.jpg.e25a5228a973f5de29dfd6257c173f7e.jpg

Edited by Phrasemaker
Typo

I think it will just go in by a whisker, I'm hoping so anyway as I'm putting a similar size card in mine just as soon as I can grab a 3080. My case the 280X is a bit more rammed than the one in your image lol. I did a careful measure just now, it looks promising.

[ATTACH]39548[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]39549[/ATTACH]

Is there any way you could measure the width of it, or rather the chamber depth? (The amount of width that the graphics card can fit in)

OK so I measured the depth as per the included image file, I took the measurement with the tape hard up against the mouth of the pci socket as I didn't fancy pushing it onto my mobo being a metal tape and all that. So the measurement is from the insertion point on the board socket to where the inside surface of the glass would usually reside. I taped a piece of stiff white card onto my case exactly in the position where the glass would be, so in actuality a millimeter or so closer to the mobo than inner surface of the glass actually sits taking into account the rubber buffers on the glass fixings. The depth from the card to the insertion face of the pci socket is 154mm. As I said I'm also planning to fit a humungous GPU once the scalpers are done. I am happy I could fit the Strix 3080 in my case and I reckon the MSI will go in too. My current GPU is not far off 140 and I could easily accommodate another centimeter or so for cable bends, probably almost two if put a couple of black plastic washers onto each of the glass fixing screws. It won't come to that because both my options for my next GPU are 140mm according to manufacturers spec. I am sure I can carefully angle the wires from the two or possibly three 8 pin power connectors I will need to plug into the GPU,and if that's a faff I'll get some custom ext cables which may lend themselves to more acute angling of the cable routing as it leaves the plugs and heads back toward the PSU.

Measure.thumb.jpg.65ae1bfdbcde60d52b152723d193d4a9.jpg

OK so I measured the depth as per the included image file, I took the measurement with the tape hard up against the mouth of the pci socket as I didn't fancy pushing it onto my mobo being a metal tape and all that. So the measurement is from the insertion point on the board socket to where the inside surface of the glass would usually reside. I taped a piece of stiff white card onto my case exactly in the position where the glass would be, so in actuality a millimeter or so closer to the mobo than inner surface of the glass actually sits taking into account the rubber buffers on the glass fixings. The depth from the card to the insertion face of the pci socket is 154mm. As I said I'm also planning to fit a humungous GPU once the scalpers are done. I am happy I could fit the Strix 3080 in my case and I reckon the MSI will go in too. My current GPU is not far off 140 and I could easily accommodate another centimeter or so for cable bends, probably almost two if put a couple of black plastic washers onto each of the glass fixing screws. It won't come to that because both my options for my next GPU are 140mm according to manufacturers spec. I am sure I can carefully angle the wires from the two or possibly three 8 pin power connectors I will need to plug into the GPU,and if that's a faff I'll get some custom ext cables which may lend themselves to more acute angling of the cable routing as it leaves the plugs and heads back toward the PSU.

Sounds like a quality fit.

As for Infin1tum: I'm going off of case measurements from other people on the forums, Corsair's recommended spec is with a radiator and fans inside on the front. I'll be having one of the fans on the top front as an intake to make room for the card (And mostly direct airflow towards the CPU), as well as another fan on the top part of the case for an exhaust. I'm not using water cooling purely because it doesn't last long, and it didn't fit within my budget.

I used to have a Zotac 2070S AMP in there and now a watercooled 2080S FTW3. The FTW3 has a length of 315,2 mm with just short of 8mm space to the front fans. MSI says it's card it 323mm long. It won't work. Plus in order to install the card - which already was a huge pita with the 2070S (308x114mm) because you will have to put it in diagonally and sort of twist it into place and put in into the PCIe slot on an angle. I've tried with the 2080S FTW3 on it's aircooler, it barely worked and surely wasn't very healthy for the slot. All of these things aside, even if you would be able to get the 3070 in SOMEHOW, you will not be able to close the side panel without putting a lot of stress onto the card and all things attached to it. Trust me, I've tried.

20201122_195412.thumb.jpg.be3e1ae014d8a380d23a67dfb1cbd89b.jpg

I used to have a Zotac 2070S AMP in there and now a watercooled 2080S FTW3. The FTW3 has a length of 315,2 mm with just short of 8mm space to the front fans. MSI says it's card it 323mm long. It won't work. Plus in order to install the card - which already was a huge pita with the 2070S (308x114mm) because you will have to put it in diagonally and sort of twist it into place and put in into the PCIe slot on an angle. I've tried with the 2080S FTW3 on it's aircooler, it barely worked and surely wasn't very healthy for the slot. All of these things aside, even if you would be able to get the 3070 in SOMEHOW, you will not be able to close the side panel without putting a lot of stress onto the card and all things attached to it. Trust me, I've tried.

Hmm, Alright. I'll try getting another case for this