Corsair Community

Are these Samsung B Die guaranteed?

MeatFeastMan

This B Die finder page suggests that this special edition kit is guaranteed B Die. The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to get a corsair high speed kit for the upcoming Zen2 cpu's. I assume they'll improve the memory compatibility for 3rd gen, so 3466 should be fairly safe given it's Samsung.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR%C2%AE-PLATINUM-Special-Edition-CONTRAST-32GB-%282x16GB%29-DDR4-3466-%28PC4-27700%29-C16-Desktop-Memory/p/CMD32GX4M2C3466C16W#tab-overview

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Can anyone confirm this is GUARANTEED Samsung? And if not, I have the following question: are there any kits that are guaranteed Samsung on Corsair that are either 3200 cl14/3466 cl16 AND (Most importantly) don't cost an arm and a leg.

I know there's dominator platinum rgb's there that cost 500 and pretty much look like they'll be Samsung. I'm not willing to pay £500 for 2x16gb of ram.

I have 20% off ram, so that price for the contrast memory is just under 300, so I can just about live with paying that. I'd ideally want under 250 but 300 is okay.

And also, the torque special edition 3200 cl14 2x16gb kit...are they guaranteed samsung or not?

Basically I'm looking for 3200 cl14 or 3466 cl16 that don't cost me my house but also are guaranteed Samsung B Die (Just for peace of mind really)

Thanks.

Edited by MeatFeastMan

AFAIK all of the first run CMD32GX4M2C3466C16W have been B-Die. However nowadays the specifications can be cleared by several other ICs as well and there is no official statement available about the ICs used on them. So while they are still listed as exclusives in the B-Die list at Hardwareluxx (which is the main source of information for B-Die finder) for now, in theory it would possible to build them from other ICs like for example Hynix 8Gbit CJR or Micron 8Gbit E-Die if Corsair choses to do so. -- nevermind, it actually says Samsung ICs on their product page.

And also, the torque special edition 3200 cl14 2x16gb kit...are they guaranteed samsung or not?

I don't know if a Corsair official will be able to answer that, since that information was not part of the original press release. However as initial proof for the IC usage I used a statement by AnandTech:

"The CMD32GX4M2C3200C14T model is a dual-channel kit consisting of two 16GB memory modules rated to run at DDR4-3200 with CL14-16-16-36 timings at 1.35 volts. The CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T model is quad-channel memory kit consisting of four 8GB memory modules rated to run at DDR4-3200 with CL14-16-16-36 timings at 1.35V. They are both manufactured with Corsair's custom 10-layer PCB, and feature Samsung B-die ICs that have been binned to ensure that they can be safely overclocked to at least DDR4-3600."

-- source https://www.anandtech.com/show/11384/corsair-launches-dominator-platinum-special-edition-torque

They probably contacted Corsair about it for the article. Later actual photos of the kits showed Ver4.31 which translates to Samsung 8Gbit B-Die and the OC results confirmed it to be the case for every copy of the kit that I know of.

Edited by emissary42

AFAIK all of the first run CMD32GX4M2C3466C16W have been B-Die. However nowadays the specifications can be cleared by several other ICs as well and there is no official statement available about the ICs used on them. So while they are still listed as exclusives in the B-Die list at Hardwareluxx (which is the main source of information for B-Die finder) for now, in theory it would possible to build them from other ICs like for example Hynix 8Gbit CJR or Micron 8Gbit E-Die if Corsair choses to do so.

I don't know if a Corsair official will be able to answer that, since that information was not part of the original press release. However as initial proof for the IC usage I used a statement by AnandTech:

"The CMD32GX4M2C3200C14T model is a dual-channel kit consisting of two 16GB memory modules rated to run at DDR4-3200 with CL14-16-16-36 timings at 1.35 volts. The CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T model is quad-channel memory kit consisting of four 8GB memory modules rated to run at DDR4-3200 with CL14-16-16-36 timings at 1.35V. They are both manufactured with Corsair's custom 10-layer PCB, and feature Samsung B-die ICs that have been binned to ensure that they can be safely overclocked to at least DDR4-3600."

-- source https://www.anandtech.com/show/11384/corsair-launches-dominator-platinum-special-edition-torque

They probably contacted Corsair about it for the article. Later actual photos of the kits showed Ver4.31 which translates to Samsung 8Gbit B-Die and the OC results confirmed it to be the case for every copy of the kit that I know of.

You think I'd be okay buying the contrast 3466 cl16 ones then even if they were Hynix or Micron for Ryzen? I know Ryzen can be very picky so that's why I was asking this really. Also, the contrast memory page says it is Samsung (I should have seen that earlier). Surely they wouldn't lie about that would they, or be lazy enough not to update it?

Wow, how could I have missed that? Then nevermind what I wrote about other ICs and go for it :)

ps: both Hynix 8Gbit CJR and Micron 8Gbit E-Die work pretty well with Ryzen, however their scaling is a bit different. In generel they can not match the timings of good Samsung 8Gbit B-Die based kits.

Wow, how could I have missed that? Then nevermind what I wrote about other ICs and go for it :)

ps: both Hynix 8Gbit CJR and Micron 8Gbit E-Die work pretty well with Ryzen, however their scaling is a bit different. In generel they can not match the timings of good Samsung 8Gbit B-Die based kits.

Given it says that it is compatible with Intel but says nothing about AMD, do you think it'll be okay for Ryzen or? Or should I not read anything into the compatibility thing?

You will probably have to configure them manually on AM4, as their XMP was designed for Intel platforms and is not tested to work with Ryzen systems. In addition to that DDR4-3466 with 2x16GB B-Die is also near the limit of what most current gen AM4 mainboards are capable of.

It might just work on Next Gen regardless, but I doubt that will be officially tested.

You will probably have to configure them manually on AM4, as their XMP was designed for Intel platforms and is not tested to work with Ryzen systems. In addition to that DDR4-3466 with 2x16GB B-Die is also near the limit of what most current gen AM4 mainboards are capable of.

It might just work on Next Gen regardless, but I doubt that will be officially tested.

How about these? You know any info on this kit? Interested to know if this one is guaranteed samsung as it's around £250 with the 20% off so that saves me a bit of money. It doesn't seem to have any specs or anything on there so..

No info on these yet. They could be B-Die, but other ICs are also possible at those specs.

This is probably the wrong place to ask this but..

I'm gonna buy the ram and it says the grand total is £299, but below that it says 'Your order includes £50.00 tax'.

Does that mean it's £349 or £299 total? I'm confused because I'm not used to it saying that in the UK.