View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 PM

POST ID # = 804593
MikhailV Reputation: 10
Default Request: X99-compatible non-ECC DDR4 RAM @2133 MHz: 16GB modules @<=4 modules per kit

I'm on the cusp of purchasing an Asus X99-M WS motherboard for my upcoming (very first) DIY build. This MicroATX board accommodates a maximum of 4 main memory modules.

As an X99 board, the X99-M WS supports both Xeon and 40-PCIe-lane Core i7 Extreme CPUs. Therefore, while this MicroATX board provides only 4 PCIe slots (only 3 @ CPU-linked Gen3 speeds and only 2 of those electrically wired to support a full 16 lanes per slot), it is probably more likely than the average non-X99 board to be used for builds that warrant a large amount of main memory in terms of cumulative GBs. (The X99-M WS is rated for up to 64 GBs of non-ECC main memory for a Core i7 Extreme build.) Furthermore, as a "WS" board, it incorporates workstation-friendly features, and thus (presumably) targets an audience beyond overclocking-oriented gamers -- one that includes prospective customers like myself.

I'm interested in purchasing 4 modules of non-ECC DDR4 RAM @2133 MHz (i.e., base clock speed) at 16 GB per module, with a reasonable expectation of compatibility with the X99-M WS. Corsair sells a remarkably broad and diverse line of main memory for PC motherboards. However, as far as I can tell, the closest Corsair's current product line approaches to my memory purchasing goals are the following:

1) DESIRED CLOCK SPEED, BUT TWICE AS MANY MEMORY MODULES AS I WANT OR CAN USE W/MY TARGET MOTHERBOARD: Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Memory Kit - Black (CMK128GX4M8A2133C13)

2) DESIRED MEMORY MODULE DENSITY PACKAGED IN KITS SMALL ENOUGH TO ACCOMMODATE THE CONSTRAINTS OF MY TARGET MOTHERBOARD, BUT RATED ABOVE BASE CLOCK SPEED: Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM Memory Kits (Black)...
a) 2400MHz C14 (CMK32GX4M2A2400C14)
b) 2666MHz C16 (CMK32GX4M2A2666C16)

I understand that the aforementioned 3 memory kits are part of a slew of DDR4 kits that were announced over one year ago (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=131348). I don't know whether Corsair has modified their DDR4 product lineup at all since then, or whether/when they are planning to do so or at least would consider doing so in the future. However, based on what I know now, I hope that Corsair will expand their X99-board-compatible, 2133MHz DDR4 offerings to include 16 GB modules in two-module, single-module, and/or four-module packages. (The most logical implementation of such an expansion would -- of course -- be an expansion of Vengeance LPX 32GB kit offerings to include modules rated at 2133 MHz.) I assume that -- for the Vengeance LPX line -- that would merely require some repackaging and associated logistics/marketing tweaks.

I hope any other (prospective) Corsair customers with compatible interests in product offerings will chime in here. Since I'm new to the DIY process, I know I might also benefit from any wisdom that other forum members might offer regarding the thought process behind my product request.