Corsair Community

6 Mobo Fan Headers, 8 Fans.

Just starting the build. I have 5 ML140 and 3 ML120 front fans, all RGB Pro in my 680X case. My Asus Crosshair VIII Hero mobo has 6 Q type fan headers, two other constant on headers are not. I purchased the Corsair Commander Pro Controller and the Lighting Node Pro with 4 LED strips.

How do I wire these 8 fans to be controlled by the ICUE software or is it just 6 fans max? The instruction booklets are minimal. Can anybody recommend a post here or anywhere else to get this info? Thanks.

Thanks for the help with the splitters. The MOBO 8 fan power connector problem is solved. Sorry but yet another question: How about wiring of the 8 RGB fan connectors that will work with the ICUE software. I have the Commander Pro Controller, Lighting Node Pro, RGB Hubs, USB hubs and scads of cables.

The Commander Pro has 6 RGB fan connections. How do I wire the other two RGB fan connections?

Can I connect the last two fan RGB connectors to a 6 connector RGB hub and connect this same RGB hub 3 pin connector to a 2 connection USB hub and connect this USB hub to a 4 pin USB connector on the Commander PRO Controller, or mobo?

Does that make sense?

The Commander Pro has 6 PWM Fan connections and 2 Lighting Channels. Rather than putting your fans on the motherboard, you can use the Commander Pro for that. You have more flexibility in how you control them and it's all done in iCUE.

Each RGB Fan LED Hub will have 6 connections. The Lighting Channel connects to the Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ that's linked in my signature. That should clear a lot of things up for you.

I had a similar situation where I planned to install 8 LL120 fans into my 680x case. I ended up with a commander pro, 2 rgb fan hubs and one lightning node pro. I plugged the 3 front fans in one rgb hub and the 5 others (2 top, 1 rear, 2 bottom) into the other one. Then I've put both rgb hubs onto the commander pro (LED1 and LED2 channel) as well as 6 of the 8 pwm connectors. The 2 top fans are connected with the cpu fan / chassis fan port on the mobo since I wanted to avoid disabling it in BIOS. I know I could have used splitters but I wanted to have a "clean" layout without using any kind of splitter/adapter. The remaining lighting node pro which came with the case is used to connect the XC7/XD5 block/pump and 4 additional led strips.

I had a similar situation where I planned to install 8 LL120 fans into my 680x case. I ended up with a commander pro, 2 rgb fan hubs and one lightning node pro. I plugged the 3 front fans in one rgb hub and the 5 others (2 top, 1 rear, 2 bottom) into the other one. Then I've put both rgb hubs onto the commander pro (LED1 and LED2 channel) as well as 6 of the 8 pwm connectors. The 2 top fans are connected with the cpu fan / chassis fan port on the mobo since I wanted to avoid disabling it in BIOS. I know I could have used splitters but I wanted to have a "clean" layout without using any kind of splitter/adapter. The remaining lighting node pro which came with the case is used to connect the XC7/XD5 block/pump and 4 additional led strips.

What cooler do you have? If it's a Corsair AIO, they have a fan connector that should go on the CPU_FAN port to prevent CPU_FAN warnings ... and to give you one in the even of a pump failure.

What cooler do you have? If it's a Corsair AIO, they have a fan connector that should go on the CPU_FAN port to prevent CPU_FAN warnings ... and to give you one in the even of a pump failure.

Hi DevBiker,

no it's a custom loop with 2 rads (1x360 and 1x240). Since I did not want to use splitters I decided to plug 2 of my 8 fans on the mobo itself instead of going with a second commander pro. To prevent the cpu fan alert I plugged one of the fans here.

You can use PWM splitters, no more than 2 to a header.

Great advice, but that depends on the fan really. I have three sets of three ML120 Pro RGB on three headers on my CP in my latest system. I can do that due to their low amp rating of .2a so even three is no where near the 1a per channel limit. add a little for the splitter (cheaper ones can really affect this) and it will give you an idea of what you can do.

Know your hardware specs and limitations.