Corsair Community

Question on PSU Testing Results

cohenfive

We are finishing a pc build and pc won't boot up. Trying to figure out what is issue. We bought a psu tester from amazon and all the voltages tested ok, but the 'pg' or power good indicator showed 80ms versus a 'standard' of 100-500. We are not sure whether that result shows anything of concern about the psu. We are using a Corsair rm750 80 plus gold psu.

So is 80ms indicative of a bad psu, or is faster than 100ms ok?

Thanks...we are trying to figure out which parts need to be returned, thinking most likely culprit is a bad mb, not psu.

For what i've seen here, lots of corsair PSUs (and most likely other brands too) pass the self test faster.

It shouldn't bother the motherboard since not all PSUs do have a self test..

So yea it's out of spec, but i'd say it's not likely to be the cause of the boot failure.

Even if it's not corsair related, you could still describe the issue, may ring a bell to someone.

• Corsair Employee
We've tried that, not the issue. Likely a bad mb, but tested the psu in the process and got the 80ms result which is out of spec.

So the PC powers up? It just doesn't POST?

Remember: You have three stages: Power, POST and boot.

Also would help if you listed all of your parts.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When we turn the power on, there is a cosmetic rbg light on the back of the mb that lights up, nothing else. No activity of any kind. So it does not post and does not boot. But the psu tester indicated that it is working fine, just faster to stabilize than spec (80ms)...which was why I asked the question. But it sounds as if that is ok.

• Corsair Employee

Ok. So the PSU is providing +5VSB to the motherboard, but pressing the power button on the case (or on the board itself, or shorting the two power on pins) actually allows the PC to power up.

Have you tried just the motherboard and CPU (with CPU cooler) with no RAM, cards, drives, etc. outside of the case?

• 2 weeks later...

Buenas tardes, me gustaría saber si funcionó la fuente RM750 correctamente con esos 80 ms de arranque, hemos adquirido una RM750 recientemente y tuvimos problemas con la placa base (cambio en garantía) y la fuente de alimentación da en el test esos 80 ms.

Gracias.

Good afternoon,

I would like to know if the RM750 power supply worked correctly with those 80ms of boot, we have recently acquired an RM750 and we have had problems with the motherboard (changed in warranty) and the power supply gives in the test that 80 ms.

Thanks.

Edited by jonnyguru

Normalmente eso no causa problemas. En fuentes baratisimas, no hay ningun circuito de control para dar este señal y este pin esta conectado directamente al +5V (en efecto 0ms delay)..

Usually that doesn't cause problems. In very cheap sources, there is no control circuit to give this signal and this pin is connected directly to the + 5V (in effect 0ms delay).
Edited by jonnyguru

Pues eso, la RM750 no es una fuente baratisima precisamente, se supone que un valor normal debe ser superior a los100 ms, desconOCZo si es un valor anormal en general pero normal en esta fuente de alimentación.

Well that, the RM750 is not a very cheap PSU precisely, but it is assumed that a normal value greater than 100 ms should be present. I do not know if it is an abnormal value in general but normal in this power source.
Edited by jonnyguru

sisi, lo que digo es que normalmente, no importa mucho si estas un poco debajo de los 100ms.

Es una pregunta que se ve mucho y casi todo el tiempo gente encuentra valores de 70 - 80ms

yeah, what I'm saying is that normally, it doesn't matter much if you're a little under 100ms.

It is a question that is seen a lot and almost all the time people find values of 70 - 80ms

Edited by jonnyguru

• Corsair Employee
Buenas tardes, me gustaría saber si funcionó la fuente RM750 correctamente con esos 80 ms de arranque, hemos adquirido una RM750 recientemente y tuvimos problemas con la placa base (cambio en garantía) y la fuente de alimentación da en el test esos 80 ms.

Gracias.

You said the motherboard was changed under warranty or the PSU was changed under warranty? Did this same PSU work with the previous motherboard (or vise versa)?

Or have you even tried the PSU with the motherboard? You said you "tested the PSU" to see 80ms, but did you actually TRY to use it?

• Corsair Employee

Gracias.

Also, what motherboard is this? I would like to try it myself.