Corsair Community

CORSAIR Premium PCIe Extension Cable Compatibility w/ Z390 Platform

Corsair Nick

• Corsair Employee

We have recently discovered that certain GPUs may not output video correctly when plugged into some Z390-based motherboards via our Premium PCIe 3.0 extension cable. We were able to replicate the issue on a single board, but our sample size is small and we are in the process of doing further testing. If you are having issues with the extension cable, please post in this thread with the following information:

• Description of issue:
  • Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS):
  • GPU Model (and version/BIOS):
  • CPU:

Thank you

from a User in my Corsair Case Owners Club Discord Server

'hey folks, i got the new corsair riser cable but it's only running on my PCIE 3 slot, when i pull it into the PCIE 1 slot or PCIE 2 slot, can't find GPU...

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming'

GPU Model Asus rog strix rtx 2070 oc

I have linked him to this thread....

Edited by Zotty

Description of issue: when plugged into mobo via riser cable the card is POWERED as fans spin but not display can be pulled through. Yet cards work directly. Tried riser cable and rtx 2080 and a gtx 680 doesnt work.

Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS):Z390 Aorus Master rev 1.0 BIOS F8

GPU Model (and version/BIOS): AORUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB XTREME Turing Graphics Card

CPU: I7-9700K

Thank you

PLEASE fix this I need it to work so bad so frustrated

I am using the new riser cable.

I have had my PC up for about 2-3 weeks.

It worked fine up until recently. I did a BIOS update on the motherboard to version 1.06 (EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard).

Lately every game I play crashes to the desktop.

Games played and then crash include.

Battlefront 2, Metro Exodus, Quake Champions. It also locked up on me running Furmark in fullscreen resolution 3440 x 1440.

GPU Model: EVGA GEForce RTX 2080Ti XC

CPU: Intel i9 9900k

So far I have run memory diagnostic in Windows.. It passed.

Uninstalled the latest Nvidia Driver and rolled back to the previous driver. Games still crash.

Checked the HDD for error's all came back good.

Windows works fine but running any games the PC will crash to the desktop for me.

newfiend~

Edited by newfiend

I am the one who posted the issues on Zottys Corsair Case Owners Club Discord Server. I just created a Corsair forum account for this thread. I tried a lot of things but can't solve the problem. Before this thread I didn't know others get also problems with the riser cable, to exclude a faulty cable, I ordered a new one.

With the new cable, I come with the same issues as with the last one.

04/30/2019

The cable is not working on the PCI-E 1 slot and PCI-E 2 slot, the system can't find the GPU while booting. It works only one the PCI-E 3 slot.

I tried to fix the problem by setting the PCIe-Controller in BIOS manually to GEN 2 and GEN 3 without receiving any difference.

MB

ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

BIOS Version: 0805 (01/29/2019)

GPU

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 OC

Driver Version: 430.39 (04/23/2019)

CPU

Intel Core i7-9700K

Edited by Maukuh

I am using the new riser cable.

I have had my PC up for about 2-3 weeks.

It worked fine up until recently. I did a BIOS update on the motherboard to version 1.06 (EVGA Z390 Dark Motherboard).

Lately every game I play crashes to the desktop.

Games played and then crash include.

Battlefront 2, Metro Exodus, Quake Champions. It also locked up on me running Furmark in fullscreen resolution 3440 x 1440.

GPU Model: EVGA GEForce RTX 2080Ti XC

CPU: Intel i9 9900k

So far I have run memory diagnostic in Windows.. It passed.

Uninstalled the latest Nvidia Driver and rolled back to the previous driver. Games still crash.

Checked the HDD for error's all came back good.

Windows works fine but running any games the PC will crash to the desktop for me.

newfiend~

EDIT: Found to be bad GPU and not cable related issue.

newfiend~

Description of issue: When card is plugged into riser cable, there is no video. Tried 2 other PCI-e slots, no change. I don't get any video.

Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS): Asus Prime z390-A / Bios Version 1005

GPU Model (and version/BIOS): EVGA RTX 2080TI / Driver Version 430.39

CPU: Intel I7-9900K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I did post above full specs

But I have a Z390 Aorus master

Oh. Sorry about that. Didn't expect someone to bump the thread so soon.

When they have a solution available, they'll let everyone know.

AFAIK: They figured out why it doesn't work, but they have to be able to ship a solution as the alternative is a modification that I'm sure most users don't want to have to execute themselves.

from a User in my Corsair Case Owners Club Discord Server

'hey folks, i got the new corsair riser cable but it's only running on my PCIE 3 slot, when i pull it into the PCIE 1 slot or PCIE 2 slot, can't find GPU...

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming'

GPU Model Asus rog strix rtx 2070 oc

I have linked him to this thread....

yes i have tried with PCIE3. only PCIE3 works

Oh. Sorry about that. Didn't expect someone to bump the thread so soon.

When they have a solution available, they'll let everyone know.

AFAIK: They figured out why it doesn't work, but they have to be able to ship a solution as the alternative is a modification that I'm sure most users don't want to have to execute themselves.

Thanks I'm pretty hot on it as I M desperate for a fix I wouldn't mind knowing the modification

Any updates? Just bought this extension cable so I could run my GPU vertically, but it doesn't work...

Description of issue: My GPU isn't recognized in BIOS or Device Manager and Nvidia drivers can't be installed when this extension cable is connected.

Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS): ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code (BIOS v1005)

GPU Model (and version/BIOS): Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 2080 Ti

CPU: Intel i9-9900k

*EDIT: The extension cable works in PCIE slot 3, but it's causing the cable to bend a lot more... I'd prefer to use slot 1 if possible.

**EDIT 2: My GPU is severely bottlenecked in PCIE slot 3. I can barely get 60 fps in PUBG with low settings while streaming 720p/60fps. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!

Edited by fxlsetrvth

Description of issue: Fans spin and LEDs turn on but no video is outputted to the monitor.

Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS): ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) (Bios v0805)

GPU Model (and version/BIOS): ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 O8G ROG STRIX OC Edition

CPU: Intel i9-9900k

i'm a shop owner (drako.it) and we've tried the riser in different configuration, and the riser just don't work on any z390 we tried (Asus/Gigabyte), except if you put the riser on a 4x PCIe. Wich of course make no sense using a powerful GPU.

Description of issue: no video signal

Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS): Asus Z390 - all of them / Aorus Z390 - all of them

GPU Model (and version/BIOS): RTX 2080 / RTX 2080 ti Asus / Aorus

CPU: All K intel processore, so 9700K/9900K/9900KF/9700KF/9600K

Tomorrow i'll try to set the PCIE slot to a 8X bus or trying to give it more power if the mobo support that.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a Corsair Riser when i built my new PC in March and thought it was just a faulty riser so i sent it back. Seems like i was wrong.

I couldn't get it to work in any PCI port on the motherboard. GPU powered up and fans spun but there was no display output to the monitor.

System Specs:

Intel I9-9900K

Asus Prime Z390-A

Nvidia GTX 1070 Dual OC

Bios: Version 0905

We have recently discovered that certain GPUs may not output video correctly when plugged into some Z390-based motherboards via our Premium PCIe 3.0 extension cable. We were able to replicate the issue on a single board, but our sample size is small and we are in the process of doing further testing. If you are having issues with the extension cable, please post in this thread with the following information:

• Description of issue:
  • Motherboard Model (and version/BIOS):
  • GPU Model (and version/BIOS):
  • CPU:

Thank you

ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Bios 1105)

MSI RTX 2080 Duke (Bios 90.04.23.00.40)

Intel I9 9900K

2*8 GB DDR 4 Corsair Dominator 3200MHZ

Riser cable doesn't work. no Display output to the monitor.

Edited by blackisback

• Corsair Employee
ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Bios 1105)

MSI RTX 2080 Duke (Bios 90.04.23.00.40)

Intel I9 9900K

2*8 GB DDR 4 Corsair Dominator 3200MHZ

Riser cable doesn't work. no Display output to the monitor.

Well, that's a Z390 board, so... As Nick said, it's not going to work on Z390 boards. :(

• Corsair Employee

The problem is, the PCI-SIG specification states that if you're making a PCIe card that does not support hot swapability, you can EITHER leave PRSNT2# open OR ground them. On the Corsair riser, they're open. Z390 boards, however, expect them to be grounded.

I totally blame the PCI-SIG for this. You should never make something in your spec say, "if you don't support this feature, do this OR this." That leaves too much open to interpretation. One company can choose one option while another chooses another and that causes compatibility issues like this one.

Theoretically, you could take the PRSNT2# pins on the riser and bridge them over to any ground and the riser will work.

Of course, if you were to do this, you void the riser cable's warranty. Also, if you bridge the wrong pins, you could damage the graphics card and/or the motherboard. So I strongly recommend NOT doing this unless you're REEEEEEEEALY familiar with soldering PCBs and love to live dangerously.

Well, that's a Z390 board, so... As Nick said, it's not going to work on Z390 boards. :(

And as a Corsair employee this is an acceptable answer for someone with these boards? At the very least there should be a warning on the product page that this is not working on certain chip sets. But there isn't. And you guys continue to sell it knowing there is an issue. Be glad I didn't buy it because then we would be going back through marketing, advertising and general fraud laws in regards to what companies can do.

Triggered by this statement: Absolutely because this has been going on for a while and people continue to buy an item that clearly has issues with certain hardware. And most people just see multiple PCIe slots and assume they are all the same. So they are going to be plugging into the one that "works" and wonder why their new [insert GPU model here] is preforming like horse puckey.