Corsair Community

RGB on my 6 QL 120 fans not working properly

BNewt

So over the last couple of days I built a new PC out of replaced parts and I installed a clean version of windows 10. I tested a few fans with a couple of the cores and I had exactly the same issues.

I think at this point maybe I've been super unlucky and all the cores are dead. I'm still within the 30 day return period with amazon so I'm going to replace them and see if I have any luck.

The only working theory I have is the software tried to write a hardware lighting profile to the Core, but it somehow was corrupted and stored on the device. The device can't read it and it somehow keeps it stuck in this limbo state. I thought cleaning out the HWLighting config might affect this, but of course it is written to the device itself. If you take a Core and set a HW Lighting of bright pink, then move the Core to a new PC, the fans will come on as bright pink before the software loads. You tried multiple cores and each did this when installed. That makes me wonder if CUE is trying to write a bad pattern to device every time it's connected or if it can't write it at all. This is hardly rock solid evidence, but it's about all I have left. Hopefully Corsair Support can make something of the log info. The flaw in this theory is if your fans were blue from the very first moment they were connected and before iCUE loaded. It could never have interacted with the Core at that point.

If not and you either get new Cores or decide to try again with what you have, I would be really tempted to completely remove CUE and delete the C:Users/name/App Data/Roaming/Corsair folder before installing the new Core. Those are all your profiles and settings, so everything would have to be redone or re-imported.

So I've got the full set of replacement fans, cores and commander pros. I've set them all up and everything works fine. :cool:

I tried connected several of the old fans into a new lightning node core and its stuck on the single blue light that it always has been. As I think it's unlikely that all 10 fans arrived damaged, I think it's more likely that the 2 cores I originally used were faulty and somehow damaged all the fans connected to them. Because of this I'm not going to risk connecting one of the working fans to one of the old cores.

So I think the only way to fix it is to replace the fans. I would also replace the core, it might be fine but is more likely the cause of the damaged fans.

I'm going to go back to Corsair support and let them know.

That is interesting. I reached out to someone else to look at this and their take was it's a fan problem. However, I thought that was where each of you started, testing each fan in the #1 slot and none of them worked. I suppose it's possible a bad fan somehow shorted the entire Core controller, like in some type of electrical event. It's still very strange and this not something I've seen before. Other users who have bad fans or blown controllers are usually lights out, frozen mixed patterns of the last known, and not the blue thing.

well, i have been dealing with corsair support for a good week and a half at this point and they are sending me a new core for some reason. not sure why, i told them that i have tried two different cores. i don't particularly want to spend the money on 6 brand new fans, hopefully corsair can send me a replacement set, i doubt it though. at least we know it is an issue with the fans, as i suspected. just odd that every single fan is malfunctioning no matter what slot they are connected to in the core. thank you guys for all the help and im glad pie_masters has his pretty lights back!

• 1 month later...
not sure if you guys will see this, but i have been talking with customer support since this thread was made. the customer support for corsair is horrible. they told me to send them all of my faulty fans then they will send me replacements. i am not going to do that, since it will take them two weeks. my pc will either be useless for two weeks or i will have to buy new fans while i am waiting for the replacements. worst customer support i have ever dealt with by far. looks like i am going to be buying non-rgb noctua fans, i doubt i will have an issue with them.

• 5 months later...
Same here man. I have 9 ql120s in my lian li o-11 and for a few months they were working fine, but then for some reason the led on 2 fans started glitching and i didnt knew how to fix it. whats even worse is that all of my ql120s are 'infected' by this glitch and everything i try to do just doesnt work :(. Tried reinstalling icue, didnt work. first when only 2 of them were glitched i tried to swap the connectors of them with 2 ql120s that were still working fine, but they were still not working. I'm probably going to send all of them back since nothing just seems to work.

20210419_213944.thumb.jpg.5497bdf2c3e4406a4f84b5fb818a4212.jpg

20210419_213955.thumb.jpg.f8d0a45577d24050bf01919e63e0b632.jpg