View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Mystery's PC Specs

POST ID # = 234273
Mystery Reputation: 10

Should be plug and play since the board has Dual Channel Memory Architecture - 4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. Therefore you don't really need to change the settings in my opinion. This board has a capacity of 4GB DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 ECC/ non-ECC un-buffered DDR SDRAM memory which the VS2GB kit should qualify under. Since this is a widely used board I would expect your A Ram slots are messed up. If it doesn't post under any circumstance, then that is probably it. When you put the ram in the B ports, do you install them one at a time? The reason I ask is because this will let you know if each module works. Often with this type of issue, I found that one module can be messed up and the motherboard will access working parts of ram sometimes and defective ram other times. Simple test can be using the plug one in at a time test. Since each runs individually it should work as a good measure when buying new ram. If that works then it is most likely A ports being bugged. I'm confused about getting errors in Bios if your PC doesn't post. I think you mean it doesn't load into your OS. In any event you should try to update your Bios from 1011 to 1015 or higher. For your motherboard, 1015 has the following updates:

1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2. Fix unstable under 400MHz-Single channel issue.
3. Modify DDR max speed from 400MHz to 333Hz when full loading.

This should hold true for all Asus A8N-SLI Premium boards. I believe they all need to be bios upgraded for VS2GB kits. 1016 is also out if you want to use that instead. 1016 will have the same updates as 1015 + the new definitions for CPUs, awdflash upgrade and removing 2.88 floppy item values.

Last edited by Mystery; 01-25-2006 at 07:49 PM.