Corsair Community

Epox 9NPA+Ultra and TwinXl 3200 Pro.

Leporello

Dear Friends,

I've recently changed my system from an Intel P4 to an AMD 64 4000+ San Diego. Since the rebuild I've been unable to run a large number of games without them crashing to the desktop.

On running Memtest 3.2 I get two similar errors, i.e., "word pair #17556262 or 175556017 (either could be the source)." I can eliminate these errors and the game crashes by reducing the RAM from its default 400 to 333.

I've had the Corsair TwinXL 3200 Pro for about two years and apart from requiring a voltage of 2.8v to run stably in my P4 system this memory has always been run a default speeds. I don't overclock.

I've looked at the Corsair compatibility page for my Epox 9NPA+Ultra mobo and the particular modules I have don't seem to be listed there, but some similar sopunding modules with slightly different revision numbers are.

I should add that I'm fairly certain that my voltages are fine and stable, I have a new Tagan 510W PSU and I've tried an alternative newish 480W PSU. I've monitored my voltages with Sisoft Sandra Pro and all my voltages are well within specs and stable (the graph read outs over multiple burn in test runs show only very minor fluctuations within a narrow band well within specs).

I'm aware that this could be either a mobo compatibility issue or an issue with my TwinXL modules. I've had two years good service from the Corsair RAM and would not be averse to replacing it. However, there comes my dilemma. I could replace the Epox motherboard for less than it would cost to replace the memory.

I'm not particularly strapped for cash and I'd like to get my system up and running at default speeds so that I can forget about it and get on with my computing.

I'd welcome comments or suggestions.

Many thanks for your attention.

Many thanks for the reply. Having read through the FAQs and seeing a reference on another site, I understand that my TwinXL 3200 Pro is rated at CAS 2 on Intel systems and at CAS 2.5 on AMD. I've therefore reset my CAS settings to 2.5 and restored it back to 400 from 333. My system is now stable.

Do I understand this correctly? That the difference between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 is neglible on AMD set ups? Perhaps I should mention that my processor is an Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego.

Thanks again for the courteous reply.

Having read through the FAQs and seeing a reference on another site, I understand that my TwinXL 3200 Pro is rated at CAS 2 on Intel systems and at CAS 2.5 on AMD.
INCORRECT.

2-2-2-5 timings for XL is for ALL platforms. The ONLY Corsair memory that changes like that are the 3200C2s. On AthlonXP platforms their timings are 2.5-3-3-6, on all Intel and Athlon64 platforms their timings are 2-3-3-6.

Thanks for correcting me on this. As my TwinXL is seen on the SPD settings on my previous Abit IC7-G and on my current Epox board as CAS 2 I had assumed that this was it's rating. It always ran stably at this setting in the Pentium based system. However, reducing it to 2.5 in my AMD system only makes the system marginally more stable. I had to go back from 400 to 333 to avoid the soundloop crashes.

I'm fairly certain that the memory is serviceable, it shows no errors in Memtest when set at 333. I'd like to get my system running at it's default settings or at least get it running at close to its default speed. My hunch is that this is an issue with the memory controller on my mobo.

Could you give me some idea as to how much performance I am losing by setting the memory at 333. I'd also welcome suggestions for alternative memory which may be more compatible with my Epox mobo, or ways of improving the performance of my system with the Corsair memory.

Thanks for your attention.

Archived