Corsair Community

TX850W unsteady power?

elfwhyk

Hi I am new to the forums here, but I am trying to work out some gremlins with my system and thought I would look into power supply problems since everywhere else just tells me to RMA all my parts ^.^, and that doesn't seem right. I do not know if these problems are psu related, was hoping you all could let me know :).

First thing is my case fans randomly stop working. There are 4 plugged in via molex to the psu, the ones directly on the mobo never malfunction. The molex connected ones are not very high speed, and randomly turn on and off. They will work fine for weeks, then one day they stop working. I try to jump start them with a good flick, to no avail, and a little while later they are humming again. Could this be due to the power supply? The case is an El Diablo Advance case - not in my profile(will add it later), anyways I had a

500W no-name PSU hooked up to it for like 7 months with no fan issues, noticed them only after getting this new corsair one around xmas time.

Second thing is bios and evga e-leet software is reading higher voltages on everything than I set them to. I hear often that software fails at reading voltage, so I will ask for all your opinions of this.

I am also having some graphics card issues - which may also be from a bad PSU, if the PSU is bad. It is possible it is old and no longer works properly, but it doesnt add up to me. This morning in fact I was playing WoW(dont comment on this please) for a couple hours - graphics temps around 60C. I turn my computer off to go make dinner. About an hour after turning it off, I turn it on and get 3 screen freezes and graphics driver failures. I wait about 30 minutes and its all fine again. Could this be power supply related? I would test another PSU, but its so random that would be difficult to do.

I know nothing about how power supply issues affect systems so thats why I am here, give me all the insight you can, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

First thing, it is possable (not saying this is the case) that your fans are faulty. Stock case fans are usually low quality. Do you have any other fans to test??

Secondly Voltages are usually read SLIGHTY different to what you set them to.

Can you post what you set them to and what they are displaying

Finally if you are getting a graphics driver failure have you tried updating your graphics driver.

Hope some of this helped.

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like there could be something PSU related going on here but its hard to say for sure. The only way to be 100% sure would be to test the PSU in a different system, or to test a different PSU in your system. If that is not an option and you are able to rule out a few other components then go ahead and Request an RMA.

Archived