Corsair Community

Corsairs PSU results in coil whine in GPU

Pedro77

There are a lot of posts related to coil whine (coil noise, electric buzz) over the internet. I want to tell my experience on that.

I had a bad time to find the source of very high/loud GPU coil whine when the GPU is over load. S

PSUs model:

- Corsair HX620W

- Corsair RM750i

Performed tests:

- GPUs: Zotac GTX. G1 Gigabyte GTX 970. Galax GTX 1070 Ti.

- Motherboards: ASRock Z87M Pro4; Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3PH and Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming WIFI.

- Three different wall sockets, in different houses.

The only thing that removed the GPU coil whine was a non Corsair PSU: EVGA 600W :!:

Coil whine is back even with EVGA. I don't know what else to do.

So far, the best explanation I found is that the PSU gives a low quality power to the GPU, which needs to filter it, resulting in loud coil whine.

Please, any Corsair engineer can give a detailed technical explanation why this coil whine happens depending on config/luck, what can we can do about it and what is being done to solve this problem at lest in high quality product lines?

So far, the best explanation I found is that the PSU gives a low quality power to the GPU, which needs to filter it, resulting in loud coil whine.
Are you generalizing the issue, or are you saying you measured your PSU using a voltmeter?

Please, any Corsair engineer can give a detailed technical explanation why this coil whine happens depending on config/luck, what can we can do about it and what is being done to solve this problem at lest in high quality product lines?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/coil-whine

That blog post has some info on coil whine.

I'm not generalizing it. That was just the best explanation I have for GPU coil whine.

Thanks for the link, it seams Corsair if very committed to remove coil whine from their PSUs. My two Corsair PSU are very quite, no col whine.

The problem comes from GPU coil whine. Maybe the GPU manufactures just doesn't take so much care as Corsair in relation to coil whine. Or, as I said before, the power supplied by the PSU to the GPU is not good enough.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived