Corsair Community

ICue update "3.16.56" cause a bootloop on windows new update 1903

Pingo

So as I said in the title, after updating ICue to the 3.16.56 on the new windows update 1903, my entire Pc freaks out for no reason. The video output turn green and after the reebot it goes in a bootloop with the error "Inaccessible Boot Device", forcing me to go to the previous backup, wich is exactly the moment after the update 1903 end its installation.

I tried multiple times testing what could possibly cause the problem, after some tests I went to the conclusion that the new Icue update was 100% the problem. I don't know what to do. Of course I can keep the previous version, the 3.15.101, with no issues and no more update, but as u can probably guess, this doesn't really fix my problem and it's not a good idea to not update a software. I would like to not make a new and clear installation of windows because it's a lot of time and patience I don't wanna waste.

What can I do? I think is an audio incompatibility caused by the new audio of the update 1903 but i'm not sure this is the only one, even tho I've no idea what to do, i'm not sure that DDU could solve my problem and I don't know if corsair it's aware about it. Please help this is getting annoying

I apologies for my English, but as some of u can tell it's not my native language

Edited by Pingo

• Corsair Employee

Hi Pingo,

We aren't getting other reports of this issue so it's likely isolated to this PC.

Some computer's have some fairly outdated drivers related to legacy hardware that can cause this. For example, does your computer have a CD/DVD drive attached to it? If so, try disconnecting it and see if the install goes through.

No I don't have an CD/DVD drive on my computer. As u can see my pc as some high-end specs wich was relased within 2-3 years ago I belive. I think is more a software thing than hardware

No I don't have an CD/DVD drive on my computer. As u can see my pc as some high-end specs wich was relased within 2-3 years ago I belive. I think is more a software thing than hardware

iCUE 3.16.56 works perfectly well with Win 10 Pro x64 1903, which I've been running since April. What you should do, however, is make sure that every hardware component within your PC is bang up to date with regard to drivers.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that Windows Update will keep all of those non-Microsoft devices up to date, because it will not! Intel's site is a good place to start. If you having trouble locating drivers for certain components, then try searching at StationDrivers. Note also that the mobo vendor sites rarely have the very latest drivers available, so home in at individual component level, for example, the audio chipset.

Edited by Yemble

Hi Pingo,

We aren't getting other reports of this issue so it's likely isolated to this PC.

Some computer's have some fairly outdated drivers related to legacy hardware that can cause this. For example, does your computer have a CD/DVD drive attached to it? If so, try disconnecting it and see if the install goes through.

If you think an optical drive would cause problems for corsair gear (or software),

then i would advice you to stop advising anything to anyone.

This must be the biggest BS i ever heard.

Better advice would be to just diconnect all corsair gear and throw it away.

Problem solved forgood.

If you think an optical drive would cause problems for corsair gear (or software),

then i would advice you to stop advising anything to anyone.

This must be the biggest BS i ever heard.

Better advice would be to just diconnect all corsair gear and throw it away.

Problem solved forgood.

No, then you would still have the OS potentially trying to use/access other boot devices. Odd, I think that was in the original post. Maybe send your idea Microsoft's way.

I had the same exact thing happen to my computer after updating to newest Corsair Icue Version by clicking on Update within the icue program . On restart my computer would just stay stuck in a loop restarting itself before Windows log on . I had to Restore Windows to an earlier time when it was working correctly and then got back into Windows 10 and icue was reset back to ver. 3.14 . I am still not sure if it was Windows 10 new Update for 1903 that i got today or the Icue update corrupted Windows registry somehow . Right now I have 3.16 version of icue which i downloaded by itself and installed it after uninstalling 3.14 icue myself . I didn't get any looping of windows after restart Yet but i was thinking it could have been caused by the Uninstaller of icue if you install the newest version by downloading it and installing it by clicking on the Update tab within Icue . Anyway with Restore Windows 10 deleted the update for 1903 that came out today also .June 11, 2019—KB4503293 (OS Build 18362.175) . With icue 3.16 i have no sound with my corsair headset as well now. Really bad version of icue it seems that doesn't like to play well with Windows 10 1903 . Installing 3.16 also messed up my Lan Card connection on reboot so i had to have windows repair that also. I'm going back to 3.14 since i know it works and never had any problems with it. Anyone can download that from other sites since Corsair doesn't seem to keep any older software that works better for some people . Edited by Hank555

Hi Pingo,

I also had BSOD after this update. More specifically I had the dreaded srttrail.txt error, not even windows recovery worked.

Not saying that the update has caused issues for everyone but the OP definitely is not alone. I literally created an account just to inform people.

There are always going to be people with problems when doing a major Windows update -- unless of course you believe Microsoft's spiel about "Windows as a service". My preference when doing these larger packages is to uninstall major service drivers (video/sound/iCUE, etc.) before taking the Windows update. Then choose the option not to download 'any updates' on install. That will the OS from auto-installing them. Then reinstall your drivers and run the update process like normal. When Microsoft makes substantial changes to how things work, it seems silly to expect the driver to auto-correct itself. There were some changes to the sound package this time. Anything that uses 3rd party sound drivers probably needs to be re-installed. That includes iCUE if you are using one of the Corsair headsets. Frankly anything that loads on boot and is critical to operation should probably be checked.

There are always going to be people with problems when doing a major Windows update -- unless of course you believe Microsoft's spiel about "Windows as a service". My preference when doing these larger packages is to uninstall major service drivers (video/sound/iCUE, etc.) before taking the Windows update. Then choose the option not to download 'any updates' on install. That will the OS from auto-installing them. Then reinstall your drivers and run the update process like normal. When Microsoft makes substantial changes to how things work, it seems silly to expect the driver to auto-correct itself. There were some changes to the sound package this time. Anything that uses 3rd party sound drivers probably needs to be re-installed. That includes iCUE if you are using one of the Corsair headsets. Frankly anything that loads on boot and is critical to operation should probably be checked.

I haven't used my Void Pro's for gaming yet but I checked them and they work fine.

I did not have any problems upgrading to 1903 nor did I have any problems with the recent update for 1903 which includes more security for Bluetooth devices that locks out some older Bluetooth items . I only had the problem after installing update 3.16 within the icue program and it uninstalled my 3.14 icue and drivers and then put in the new software and drivers and upon reboot from that my computer went into a loop where it would keep restarting without getting to the Windows 10 logon screen and then said My computer would not start and gave me options to have Windows repair itself which did not work and then I chose the option to restore to a previous time which worked but many programs and updates were deleted .I'm not happy with what happened just because I thought maybe I might get better sound quality If I upgraded icue .I've come to the conclusion that my Corsair void headset earpads are trash and will never have the capability to cancel out any external noise like the newest model HS60 unless I can find replacement earpads that keeps external noise out,unlike factory earpads. I'm going to keep my icue software at 3.14 which works with 1903 and any other version of Windows 10 . Ver. 3.16 does not ! I tried it more than once with fresh install as well. . Something from the icue install process corrupted windows registry enough so it could not fix or repair itself on reboot .Many people with this problem might not have the option to contact anyone as their computer might be stuck in that loop and they need someone to repair it .

Well, I have the same problem as Pingo, and it is not a isolated to his PC, not isolated to a version of Windows 10, and not isolated to a version of iCUE 'cause I have this problem before the 1903 windows update, and there are other reports around the interwebs about this problem from some time (here/reddit).

As Pingo's setup, I have pretty recent components, no CD/DVD drive attached.

i9 9900k

ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO

Corsair CMR64GX4M4C3200C16 (4 x 16 GB)

Corsair H115i PRO

Corsair HX850i

Samsung 970 Pro SSD 1 TB

Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2 TB

Western Digital Blue 500 GB - The oldest part from my PC - but doenst make any difference if I swap it out

ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080TI

Peripheral devices connected

Logitech G413

Logitech G502

Xbox One Controller adapter

No other usb device connected

The problem, I suspect comes from either a weird combination (misfit) of Asus motherboard and iCUE or a combination of Samsung SSD and iCUE, or Windows screwing something with the drivers but I have stopped Windows from updating drivers.

Even if I uninstall completly iCUE and install the new update the same bootloop or "Inaccessible Boot Device" BSOD.

I try from time to time after a driver update or motherboard BIOS update to update iCUE and I have to use restore point to revert to the previous version.

I forgot to mention that all drivers are up to date, all programs and windows itself, latest BIOS and firmware to all the components except iCUE.

Well, I have the same problem as Pingo, and it is not a isolated to his PC, not isolated to a version of Windows 10, and not isolated to a version of iCUE 'cause I have this problem before the 1903 windows update, and there are other reports around the interwebs about this problem from some time (here/reddit).

As Pingo's setup, I have pretty recent components, no CD/DVD drive attached.

i9 9900k

ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO

Corsair CMR64GX4M4C3200C16 (4 x 16 GB)

Corsair H115i PRO

Corsair HX850i

Samsung 970 Pro SSD 1 TB

Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2 TB

Western Digital Blue 500 GB - The oldest part from my PC - but doenst make any difference if I swap it out

ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080TI

Peripheral devices connected

Logitech G413

Logitech G502

Xbox One Controller adapter

No other usb device connected

The problem, I suspect comes from either a weird combination (misfit) of Asus motherboard and iCUE or a combination of Samsung SSD and iCUE, or Windows screwing something with the drivers but I have stopped Windows from updating drivers.

Even if I uninstall completly iCUE and install the new update the same bootloop or "Inaccessible Boot Device" BSOD.

I try from time to time after a driver update or motherboard BIOS update to update iCUE and I have to use restore point to revert to the previous version.

I forgot to mention that all drivers are up to date, all programs and windows itself, latest BIOS and firmware to all the components except iCUE.

Different mobo, Aorus Master, but we have lots of other components in common and I have zero issues with Windows 10 x64 1903. Are you using the Samsung specific NVMe driver, which is certainly rock-solid for me?

I think Corsair should be testing their 3.16 icue installer and see what files it modifies and installs,uninstalls and overwrites within windows so they aren't making many windows 10 users computers unusable or unstable with their software ! I know for a fact that their installer modified my Lan card settings which has nothing to do with their sound drivers or settings.If anyone wants to see what icue 3.16 is modifying within windows you can download Mirekusoft Install Monitor for free and do a fresh install of icue 3.16 and look at the list of things within the Registry and Windows folders that it modifies ,even before restart of your computer after installation . Edited by Hank555

I recently experienced this problem myself and had to completely reset my Windows install as neither my restore points or recovery images would work, nor would any DISM commands. My problem occurred after a restart due to updating anti-virus software. So, no, it is definitely not only caused by iCUE, rather it seems to be (as usual) a Windows issue and I found in my research that this problem has been around for quite a while, at least as far back as 2015. As far as I can tell, it has something to do with Windows updates specifically, either updates failing to install correctly or being interrupted during install; as far as why the problem presents after updating other software, I'm not entirely sure. However, once I reset my PC and reinstalled the latest version of iCUE, I've not had any problems whatsoever, which makes me even more inclined to put the blame on Windows.

I ran into this same issue. Upgrading iCue caused a bootloop and an error on the boot device being unavailable. I was able to get back in by using a system restore point, but iCue no longer recognized any of my devices (K95, Void Pro, Scimitar Pro). I redid the upgrade from a direct download (instead of through the utility's update) and had the same issue once again resolved by a system restore.

What I did next appears to have worked just fine.

1) Fully uninstall iCue

2) Reboot

3) Install iCue from a direct download

4) Reboot

I was able to get back in just fine and all of my devices were available. I noted that during the install I was asked to close certain programs so it could install, something I was never asked when it was trying to upgrade a previous install. I don't know if that is the issue: components that don't get fully installed in an update but do in a clean install.

Just ran into this issue updating to 3.17 today. Never had any problems before and am running Windows 10 1903 as well.

After the upgrade my machine went into a blue screen reboot loop with the error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

I was able to boot into Safe Mode successfully and tried to initiate a restore point prior to the install, but it failed with the following error:

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore: (Installed DirectX). Additional information: 0x8007045b.

Oddly enough, after that restore point failure, Windows booted fine even though I got the message that none of my system files were changed. 3.17 is still installed and everything appears to be working successfully (reboot, shutdown, ran games, etc.)

I exported the system info and logs incase it's needed to help resolve this issue.

• 3 weeks later...
I talked with a tech from Microsoft and they said the newest patch from july for windows 10 takes care of the loop problem with corsair . If anyone has any problems with audio not working after installation of newest Icue ,use troubleshoot audio within windows 10 and have it fix the audio for you. It found a couple settings within windows that needed to be set for some reason and all fixed.

• 1 month later...

This is the second time I've had this error. I'm using 1803 still. I was lucky enough to get into safemode and use a restore point. Last time I had to load a backup image.

There's a problem here and someone needs to pay attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo Everybody

Just uninstall older Corsair version with RevoUninstaller, which offers an advanced option that completely wipes out any traces of the software. Install the new software and you are good to go.

Kind regards

Gotan

• 1 month later...

Just adding my experience.

(OS Windows 10 Pro 1809)

A few days ago i noticed my CPU fans were in unicorn barf mode instead of temperature dependent lighting like the rest of the system. So i checked for updates and sure enough i had 3.12.118 and there was a 3.2x version available.

After restarting my PC i ended up in a boot loop. Using some restore/repair options fixed the boot. iCUE was still 3.12.118.

Two times a charm and same result.

I used Gotan's advice and removed every little bit of iCUE from my system and reinstalled it from a fresh download (3.21.88). Now everything seems to work just fine.

I have same problem after updating a new version of windows 1903, pc is freezing every time.

When it happened i tried installing older version of ICUE and pc freezed again.

i think that ICUE isn't optimized with new version windows 1903.

But of course people from corsair will say "everything is ok"

they are always saying "this is problem of ur PC"

but now that people started to report same problems maybe now they will understand.

it's fascinating how when i uninstalled windows and installed new windows,there wasn't any problems, but then I installed ICUE and bum my pc is freezed again.

Since i don't have it installed anymore i have no problems.

MY PC:

CPU: Intel i9-9900K@4.8Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F GAMING

Liquid Cooling: H100I Corsair RGB

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 @3200MHz

GPU: Gigabayte RTX 2080 TI 8GB

SSD M.2: ADATA XPG Gammix 1TB PCIe

Seasonic FOCUS plus 750w gold

Case: Be quiet! SILENT BASE 801

Operating system: Windows 10 PRO 64bit

Edited by deno1000