Corsair Community

AX860i and random shutdowns followed by bootloop

Theri

Problem: The PC was build around November 2016, ran smoothly the first 1-2 months. PC will shutdown, it can happen anytime. What will happen is the computer will shutdown, then it will stay shut off. I then go ahead and press the on button on the front panel to turn it on, then it will enter a bootloop. The boot loop looks like the kind many other people on these forums are having. The PC will start for 1 second, then shut off for about 3 seconds. This will repeat until I am "lucky" and it will start by telling me it was ASUS anti surge or just a plain restart with no error codes. But most of the time I got to flip the on/off switch on the PSU and take out the 24-pin power cable for the motherboard before it's fixed. So basically, same story as many others on these forums.

System specs:

Intel Core i7-6700K

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula, S-1151

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

Corsair AX 860i, 860W PSU

Crucial® MX300 750GB 2.5" SSD

WD Desktop Blue 3TB 3.5"

Corsair Obsidian 750D Big Tower

What I've tried:

-Rebuilding the PC because I thought there might be a short circuit with a standoff or somthing. Nothing!

-Testing motherboard, CPU and PSU to see if I can get up bios.

-Testing Mobo, CPU, PSU and 1 brick of RAM.

-Tried all of the RAM. 1 by 1.

-Ran MemTest86.

-Changing PCI slot for my GPU.

-Checking temps on all components.

-Rebuild the computer, 2nd time. Checking everything is snug and perfect.

-Changing all the cables with new ones.

-Send in a RMA for my PSU, wicth was tested OK with a stress test that lasted 60+ hours running PassMark, BurnInTest og Heaven benchmark.

-Rebuild the computer again for the 3rd time. ran alot of different stress tests. This time there is no shutdown for 2 months, then shutdowns again.

-Did some testing with support on the phone. Showed him this forum with all the posts about faulty PSUs. Send in a complaint to the seller, waiting for answer.

I dunno what I expect by posting this, mostly for awareness and for others to see the problem. Ofcourse IF you know anything I dont please feel free to help me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine started to do that same this morning! Nice to know that it's the PSU, not nice to know that expensive PSU is having this kind of issues!

Edit: I switched some cables to other slots in PSU and now it seems to stay up. At least 2 hours now.

I'm having ASUS HERO VIII mb and Asus strix 1080 OC. Pretty much the same configuration as op. Also Corsair H110iGT cooling.

Edited by Kompura

yes this boot loop i also have it. Seems the 24pin is having some issues . I have to tweak the 24pin for some angle and then pc will boot.

Its was weired. But it suddenly gone. For ax series it should not happen.

Do remove the cable from psu and re-insert it. Same for the motherboard.

It has to be loose connection or some faulty connection.

If you can change the 24pin and see if things change.

Today I was opening case door while PC was running and I got small static electric shock from the case. PSU immediately shut down. detaching and attaching power cable fixed the issue. Could it be that this PSU would be very sensitive to static electricity, it generates it itself also and when playing with cables, it discharges and starts to work again? Too sensitive components? Edited by Kompura

Do you think it is because it's sensitive and shuts down? I first thought about turning off surge protection some months ago, but I was too scared that I would screw up and it would get a real surge.

Did it sort the problem 100%?

I am still waiting for an answer for the RMA. I see you guys are having the problem too!

Since I made this post it has happened 20+ times! Sometimes it will occur multiple times in an hour. Other instances it won't happen for days.

I really hope for a positive reply from cosair soon :( Have had this problem for a long time now.

Do you think it is because it's sensitive and shuts down? I first thought about turning off surge protection some months ago, but I was too scared that I would screw up and it would get a real surge.

Did it sort the problem 100%?

I turned the surge protection off yesterday after one shutdown. After that no shutdowns but one "flash" or snap (was like electric shock) where my screens went black for couple of milliseconds. That can't be good for my system so I will most definitely contact supplier to get this PSU changed.

Edit: Turning off surge protection does not help. Only way is to unplug PC from AC, just slightly move connectors in PSU and plug in AC. After that it works some time, very weird, absolutely no idea what could fix that.

Edited by Kompura

I had a strange issue a couple of years back, where my PC would do the same thing after min's on & just completely powering down & rebooting constantly...

I 1st thought about the PSU & replacing it, but on a whim decided to remove all peripherals & connect them back in 1 at a time & hay presto I found the issue.

Would you believe it the wire of my 8 month old Razer Naga Epic, it was shorting out the USB hub on my MOBO & causing the machine to protect itself from the surge.

My Win XP operating system (at the time) gave me no warning popups of the issue at all but when I plugged the offending mouse into my Mum's old Win 2000 machine the popup warning came up straight away.

This & a reminder of Section 75 of the consumer credit act was all the proof I needed to get Amazon to take responsibility & replace my Naga which I'm still using to this day :)

I had No need to replace mu PSU at all, so just throwing this out there in case its a curve ball that is causing your issue plus the fact that your getting an ASUS error warning.

I always find it's not fixing the problem with your rig but finding it that is the issue & like finding a needle in a haystack lol gl.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed a replacement H100i and the installed the latest Corsair Link software. Everything looked good the first few times I tried it and I managed to set up Corsair Link exactly how I wanted it. Knowing I had problems with this software in the past I made sure it would not start up with Windows.

Suddenly when I ran Corsair Link, the system would shut down - power supply surges detected and the Asus surge protection shut it down. Should I replace my AX860i, turn off the surge protection in the bios or replace the AX860i?

• 2 weeks later...
i sorted mine by turning off surge protection in the bios .... all fine now

Are you sure you corrected the problem or just hid it? If surge protection is being triggered that is not likely a good sign. The solution is not to accept hamful spikes but to RMA the unit and check the socket.

The only time I have seen the bios shut down my system due to surge protection is when I ran the latest version of Corsair Link. I think Corsair Link is doing something to cause the Asus surge protection to shut down my system. I have disabled the surge protection in the bios and now Corsair Link is running properly and shows all my Corsair devices.

I think/hope my AX860i is running properly.

After a few times of running okay the system suddenly shut down. After restarting it shut down almost immediately after I start up Corsair Link. The event viewer is not helpful and just tells me the system shut down unexpectedly. I have removed the usb connection from the AX860i to the H100i and enabled the bios surge protection. At least the Corsair Link software seems to run fine with the power supply usb cable not connected.

Edited by Breimeister
The problem was not resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

So after many weeks/months (I lost tack of time) I finally got the store I bought the PSU to swap it for a new one. I just installed it and have not encountered any shutdown yet (here's for hoping!).

I will keep this thread updated for further information regarding if it worked or not.

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed the latest CorsairLink software, connected the AX860i via the dongle that came with it. A second or two after I start up CorsairLink the system shuts down and reboots. This time I looked at the CorsairLink debug log and it does look like my AX860i is putting out some strange numbers. I started a ticket and provided them with that log. Maybe their techs can tell if the problem is with my AX860i or the CorsairLink software.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want an RCA on this. I just bought an AX860i, haven't even received it yet, and now I'm seeing more serious talk about these issues on the forum, as opposed to the mindless complaining on Amazon.

I'm planning to use mine in a serverish role, not a gaming rig. Actually, formally it's a workstation, but it's being used to develop server software, hence I went for a server-class board, and a heavily monitorable power supply and cooling system, and optimized for multi-threaded performance, et cetera.

If this thing is going to be flaky, it was already a bad decision.

I don't mind going through some debug cycles, I'll even open it up and put a JTAG cable or whatever on it from a laptop so I can get captures as it goes down, but I will most certainly need Corsair's active and wholehearted support for such an effort.

I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Odds are when you install the AX860i you will be happy with it. When I installed it in 2013 on my desktop it worked great along with the Corsair Link software. The only problem I had was that Corsair Link software did not work with the Asus monitoring software that came with my motherboard, so I did not use the Corsair Link software.

Now I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and the Asus monitoring software is not available for my motherboard with this operating system so I went back to Corsair Link. Corsair Link shut down my system when I connected the USB plug from the power supply. I opened a ticket and Corsair was very fast in helping me try to track down the problem. They think it is the power supply and they provided an RMA. They received my power supply Saturday and Monday was a holiday so I expect they will send me a replacement before the end of the week.

I was happy with the product and their warranty and service is great. They even offered an express replacement service which I did not need. Of course it is always hard replacing a power supply and I will need to do it twice but I built my own system so it is just a matter of doing it.

The only thing I would have liked to see is the power supply self test button available on the outside of the case. After I pulled out the power supply the self test button did not turn green. :bigeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to follow up that when I got the AX860i replacement, the self-test button produced a green light. I connected the AX860i and everything booted up perfectly. I started up the Corsair Link software and it found all my devices and did not shut down my system.

I am still wondering why Corsair Link found a problem with my power supply when I did not have any problem running my operating system. All I can think of is that I am not using all of the features/plugs/rails available on the AX860i.

I see Corsair Link allows me to configure the AX860i... time to read the manual again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in....

I built my PC last April:

Phanteks Primo case.

Corsair AX860i PSU

Intel i7 6700K (stock) - BIOS now F21

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1.

Corsair LPX Vengeance 2 X 8GB modules.

EVGA GTX980Ti.

Samsung 950 M.2 Nvme 256GB X 2 modules.

Intel 750 400GB Nvme SSD

Samsung 850 250GB SSD

Plus a couple of WD HDD's for various things...

Now, the PSU went into the boot loop sequence after a couple of months, so removed it and installed my old HX620 and it ran just fine.

Then replaced that with a new RM550X and the PC again ran with no bother.

I RMA'd it back to Scan Computers, and received a new replacement about a month later.

Installed that, and it ran OK for a few months before the boot loop kicked in. So had to put the RM550X back in, and all was fine again.

This time I contacted jonnyGuru in his forum, and he arranged for another RMA back so that he could try to find out what was wrong.

Initially they found no problems, until the got the exact same motherboard as mine, and then it played up.

I received my 3rd replacement PSU a couple of months ago, and yesterday it booted to the desktop, froze, and had to shut down the PC using the power button, and then when it tried to reboot, I switched off the PSU.

Back in went the RM550X........again.

So far I have got through 3 PSU's, and a bit pointless in doing another RMA because I expect the 4th one would then get grumpy after a couple of months or so....:(:

I like Corsair PSU's and in my 'old' 2009 PC I did have the initial HX1000 pack up after a couple of years, and got a HX1050 as a replacement, which is still going fine since then, and handy to use for the internet should I have any problems with this 'new' one.

I guess I will have to live with the RM550X (hopefully for quite some time) but may replace that with a slightly higher wattage PSU later on, as I prefer to have two separate power cables for my 980Ti rather than the one which is split into 2 x 6+2 connectors.

It seems that this PSU does not like Gigabyte motherboards, or especially mine in particular. :D:

Trust me, this AX860i is just a joke. I'm on my 3rd unit now after double RMA since bought on year 2014. 1st and 2nd unit had the exact same problem like what mentioned here. I will hope for miracle for this 3rd unit. 3 months now since RMA.:bigeyes: