Corsair Community

DIMM A1 and A2 not working -ASUS Z170

Combi

Hi All

I recently bought an ASUS z170 pro gaming motherboard along with corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14.

When installing ram on DIMM A2 and B2 i get a red dram led error. I then changed the position of the RAM and only DIMM B1 and B2 seemed to work.

Does anyone know if this is a CPU issue or just incompatibility of RAM with motherboard?

Thanks

It does not sound like a problem with the memory itself. If that was the case, one or both modules would not work in any slot at all. Since both modules seem to run just fine in the channel B slots, it is mot likely an issue with CPU or MB (of which bent pins is the most common one).

If i place then on DIMM B1 and B2, PC is working fine. Installed windows and programs and i was able to work with it. So i'm guessing CPU is functional.

Now the RAM I have (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14) are not included in pdf that ASUS certifies as compatible. So i will change them and see how it goes.

• Corsair Employee
If i place then on DIMM B1 and B2, PC is working fine. Installed windows and programs and i was able to work with it. So i'm guessing CPU is functional.

If you have done this, then there is a good chance the issue is originating from the MB.

• 8 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. This is some kind of incompatibility between the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo and Crucial / Corsair memory. I had read reports that G.Skill are okay with the mobo.

In my case I have been testing with with Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 and can either do a single 8GB DIMM in A1 or A2 if I remember right (didnt try any other combos) or 16GB in B1/B2. Testing the 16GB now as I write this and all seems okay. All settings are Auto in the bios (1904) and RAM is detected as 2400MHz.

There are tons of people complaining about the Asus Z170 Pro Gamer and Crucial/Corsair memory. Search for it on this forum and its a popular thread.

So it seems the options are single channel mode or 2133MHZ for now. I couldnt get them to work in A2/B2 at 2133Mhz so resorted to single channel mode.

Worst part is that I ordered some expensive Crucial LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000 (which is on the Asus QVL), but still people are complaining about it that it only runs at 2133MHz and is dead in XMP.

What an absolute ballsup this whole Z170 memory thing is :(

I am not happy :(

• 4 months later...

Archived