Corsair Community

Dell m6400 ram upgrade

spaceodyssey

Dear all,

I've just bought 2 brand new 4GB ram module for my DELL Precision M6400.

I checked the Corsair website for compatibility before choosing and foud out this part number would fit my needs: CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 (2x4GB module DDR3 sodimm).

They shipped today and I tried to install them in slot c and d, following dell manual instructions.

Once finished I powered on my laptop BUT: caps lock led started to blink and no bios started up.

I tried to remove the two modules several times, installing one at a time...same result!

On the manual it is reported that caps lock blinking = memory compatibility

Is that true? Do I have to blame Corsair website for wrong information?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply

Unfortunately the issue is that with that older laptop and the CPU you have Corsair would not have anything compatible at this time. With the Intel Q43 chipset,

You need modules that are constructed with 256mb IC and anything Corsair is making today would be made from 512MB IC's making them incompatible with that machine.

It may be best to get the memory from DELL in this case.

Are you trying to install these with the original memory too?

EDIT: Yes, I see from the owners manual that you have four memory slots in that laptop and adding memory or new modules to an existing set is something that is never reomended. Corsair does not suggest or support this practice because it is often the case that two totaly different sets of memory will not run together despite them having similar specs. You should always replace and never add.

You could try removing the original sticks and just use the Corsair sticks in the slots A and B and see if it will boot correctly. I really don't think it will because of chipset limitations mentioned above,but there is always the off chance that it will if you happened to get older stock from your reseller.

If it does it would be best to return the modules and get a matched 4 stick 16gig kit instead of trying to mix two different sets

Thanks for your quick and complete response.

I will give it a try.

BUT....why Corsair website suggests this memory is compatible with my laptop?????

I trusted what the website stated...it lets you choose your brand and model and then...I HAVE TO FOLLOW THEIR SUGGESTION TO FIND OUT IT IS WRONG????:evil:

BUT....why Corsair website suggests this memory is compatible with my laptop?????

I trusted what the website stated...it lets you choose your brand and model and then...I HAVE TO FOLLOW THEIR SUGGESTION TO FIND OUT IT IS WRONG????

Understandable. But I would let RamGuy confirm my diagnosis so you get an official Corsair response just in case I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure about this.

However if they do work by themselves then it would be a compatibility issue between the two sets. Then it would be best to return them for a 16gig kit.

And yeah, I agree ...the memory finder needs to be updated to refect the older systems that are not compatible anymore.

Unfortunately there just isn't that much call for memory for a computer that old anymore. I'm not knocking your system just stating a fact.

But you may have a hard time finding memory (other than from DELL) because all the major memory manufacturers have done the same thing because they all get their chips used to make the modules from the same pool of chip makers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

The issue is somewhat complex but in short the information was published on this system about two years ago when 256M X 8 memory IC's were the main stream part for making DDR3 Memory modules. Since then the memory Industry has moved to a higher density IC 512M X 8; which your system will not see.

The only parts we make using the older lower density IC are DDR3 1066, so CMSO8GX3M2A1066C7 should work in this system but you would have to purchase it directly from us to get a working part for that system.

But to confirm that it is related to Memory IC density please run CPU-Z and post a screen shot of the CPU Tab.

Wow this is strange.. I've got the exact system and I'm having the exact same issue. Anyways.. I have a Dell M6400 Covet.. trying to install 4x 4gb corsair memory modules CMSA8GX3M2A133C9 and I get the same flashing caps-lock light.

CPUZ screen grab below... what can I do?

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/cobysaur/cpuz_zps4876a05d.jpg

Nixx what version are the modules you have? This may or may not be the same issue depending on the version number.

Well, I don't know if this is the version number or not.. but on the green circuit board material on the modules it says K0D38SRCB V0.55. The sticker has different numbers on it.

The sticker looks like this:

CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9

-barcode here-

426996 130802281

^^^ that number changes based on the module. (I have 4 modules)

Pic:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/cobysaur/IMG_3556_zpsb09898b9.jpg

that ram is for a mac!

the suggested ram for the M6400 covet is either CM3X4GSD1066 or CM3X2GSD1066.

that could be your computers issue right there :)

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?sc=&id=845802

Yeah, but i think he's going to be in the same boat as the OP where he'll need to RMA them or purchase directly from Corsair to get a set made with the older IC's.

I'm not sure though, I was thinking desktop and why i asked for Version number but RG would be able to shed some light on it.

an intel mac is different than a macbook which is what that ram was designed for, the link i posted was the only 2 models certified by Corsair to run on your laptop. if other models work thats fine too but if its not supported for your platform its hard for us to offer sound advice on settings.

Archived