Corsair Community

There are two tutorials on restoring speed to SSD

mpooley

Can someone explain why SSD's slow down ?

I understand that a normal HD needs defragging from time to time but I understood that SSD's didn't care where the data was and never needed defragging.

I dont really want to delete my whole system disk as i'm sure something will go wrong and I'll spend the next week trying to sort it out lol

Just interested ;): thanks

Mike :eek:

That is only there if the SSDs do start to decrease in performance.

If you don't want to delete the whole system disk, Install Windows, Programs and updates then create a image file and store it on a HD so you can use it incase you do need to secure erase the SSD.

Well yes and no.

I gather that its a problem of free space -like defragmentation but not!

How this happens seems to be like the way it happens on a normal hard drive but to be honest i didn't really understand it.

I have also read quite a bit about how to rectify it but there seems to be lots of different opinions on which programs are best and whether windows trim is any good etc.

It seems like no one agrees on anything.

So it's obviously a new area that hasn't been sorted out yet.

The idea of going to all the trouble of deleting the disk etc seems like a lot of time wasted.

I am a bit disappointed really that the new wonder SSD's that don't need defragging and are super fast soon choke up like the old HD's .

at least a quick defragg was easy enough and didn't take too long.

• Corsair Employee

I have posted an answer to this question many times previously, sorry but its old news.

However, in an nut shell this is the issue or limitation.

Windows by default will not actually delete the whole file it only deletes the first character and the residual file is still there on your HDD, feature from a long time ago Called UN-delete.

With a Spinning HDD it is not problem when new data is to be written it will just over write what ever is there. And off you go no problems. Magnetic media all works in the same fashion.

With an SSD before any data can be written to a cluster said cluster must be erased, it cannot be over written unlike a spinning HDD.

So as you can imagine using your system and the way windows just plows along you can end up with a lot of residual data on your HDD that would have to be erased before new data can be written to a cluster. Thus the development of TRIM in Windows 7 to help promote better maintenance if SSD Media in Windows 7. But older HDD maintenance used with spinning HDD's can be detrimental to an SSD if used on an SSD and why you may have seen so much confusing information.

But that is the basics of it.

I'm saying that if it is truly fixed then why do people feel the need to go to the bother of

deleting their drives and doing all the other stuff in those tutorials.

surely if it's fixed by trim they dont need too.

SSD's are in a relatively new development stage(free falling prices) compared to HDD's(40yrs development). The support hardware/software(motherboards, chipsets, and even Windows) will have to evolve to accomodate them. Until that happens, when even larger, faster, and hopefully cheaper SSD's are available, it is necessary to tweak today's generation of SSD for compatiblity with the present day's hardware and software. This same scenario probably played out 40yrs ago, when 10 and 20MB HDD's were prevalent.

Archived