Corsair Community

1000D: Where does the SFX psu go?

Storx

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out something that has puzzled me.. how and where does the SFX PSU mount in the case? and is their a difference between SFX and SFX12 PSUs?

I ask this because it finally comes the time I start planning my next phase of upgrades, which is upgrading from my 7-year-old CPU/MB/Ram setup to something more suited for my GPU's.

SFX12V power supplies are specifically designed for use in small systems containing a limited hardware and limited upgradeability. Most SFX supplies are designed to provide 80–300 watts of continuous power in four voltages (+5 V, +12 V, –12 V, and +3.3 V). This amount of power has proven to be sufficient for a small system with a processor, an AGP or PCI Express x16 interface, up to four expansion slots, and three peripheral devices—such as hard drives and optical drives.

Although Intel designed the SFX12V power supply specification with the microATX and FlexATX motherboard form factors in mind, SFX is a wholly separate standard that is compliant with other motherboards as well. For example, the PS3 variant of SFX12V can replace standard ATX12V power supplies as long as the output capabilities and provided connectors match the system requirements. SFX power supplies use the same 20-pin or 24-pin connectors defined in the ATX/ATX12V standards and include both the Power_On and 5V_Standby outputs. SFX12V power supplies add the four-pin +12 V connector for CPU power, just as ATX12V supplies do. Whether you will use an ATX- or SFX-based power supply in a given system depends more on the case or chassis than the motherboard. Each has the same basic electrical connectors; the main difference is which type of power supply the case is physically designed to accept.

so from what google says.. lol.. (taken from here... https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,review-32338-4.html)

SFX12v.... i Think... lol

Edited by Zotty