Corsair Community

SSD Help - I want premium performance without the degradation headache!

oRIDDLERo

I am about to purchase two brand new P-128 drives to use in RAID-0 to replace my 2x Raptor X Raid 0 array in windows 7.

After reading some of the posts here i am very concerned with degradation over time and the inability to use the garbage collection function in RAID (assuming i am lucky enough to receive the new firmware).

I have been waiting with great anticipation over the couple of years to finally ditch platters. Please give me some advice! Why cant anyone seem to get this SSD thing right?

@ Corsair - Please make something like the below url that WORKS

<LINKY WAS NUKED> - To get the idea Google OCZ Z-Drive m84 - ( I would not buy this, it is just something i wanted to make sure corsair was aware of)

I'm a huge fan of corsair... (See pic of current main rig below) I've been buying your memory since you started but if this 4x-RAID0-ssd-in-a-tidy-card solution performed a little better with smaller files i would be all over it! So for now my finger hovers over the "buy" button @ zipzoomfly on 2x P-128's in fear of creating a super SSD raid 0 that degrades and needs to be erased every 6 months =[[

http://www.eternityserv.dyndns.org:8950/tech/newsys.jpg

Hi Riddler

The problem of Garbage Collection/TRIM not working in a Raid Array is not down to the SSDs or their respective firmware releases - the problem lies with the Raid Controllers and until those responsible for updating them get their fingers out we're stuck as far as maintaining performance using SSDs in Raid Configs. It's a right pain in the you know where, but because this is new technology the old archons in the computing world are having a problem keeping pace.

I can't answer your SSD concerns, but just wanted to comment that that is a Kickass rig! I love how it is wall mounted so everyone can see it. I have a P256 drive and it made a massive improvement over my Velociraptor drive. I keep enough of it empty (60%) that my degradation has been minimal.

I know this drive you speak of. It's basically 4 SSDs and a LSI RAID card, all wrapped up in one nice neat little bundle. It's a little bit cheaper than doing it yourself and you don't have cables going all over your box.

That solution right now is extremely overkill unless you've got the money to burn (if that's the case, send some my way :D). The P-128s will do just fine for what you want.

If you're working with a lot of small files on this RAID, just set your stripe accordingly. 4 allocation units to 1 stripe is what most RAID controllers like.

Yeah, the drive degradation sucks but it can't be helped. That's life on the bleeding edge. If you follow the guides posted here, it will cut back on some of the write degradation over time (reads seem to hold their own). That's the best advice anyone on this forum can give you.

Just something to keep in mind - even if the drive is only running at half it's speed, it still beats a WD Raptor.

Hey,

when Win7 came out I built the same array you want to (2 P128s to replace 2 Velociraptor 300s). I kept one of the Raptors as a "download to" and game drive,otherwise no mods to where Win7 writes temps. Oh, and I turned off all logs Win7 keeps. Since then,just can't see any degradation in performance.Once a day I use CCleaner in a "secure erase" mode to clean out all the TEMP folders and it all just rocks along. In retrospect,it would have been "nicer" to wait until all the growing pains have been ironed out,but some of us just can't wait.Mea culpa!

Archived