Corsair Community

Voyager Air F.A.Q.

RAM GUY

• Corsair Employee

Q: I attached my Voyager Air drive to my home network using Ethernet. But Windows does not see the drive. What should I do?

A:

1. Check that the Voyager Air drive is turned on and is properly connected to one of the ports on your home network router. Most routers have indicators on the front showing when an active device is connected to a port. You can also use the management utility that came with your network router to verify that the Voyager Air is seen as an attached device.

2. Follow these steps to help Windows discover your Voyager Air drive on the network:

• Open “Computer” and click on the “Network” icon. You should see the image of a computer with the name “VoyagerAir.” Double-Click on this image to display a folder named “Voyager_Air”.

• To assign a drive letter, right-click on this folder and choose “Map network drive…”.

NOTE: As a Windows alternative to get to the “Voyager_Air” folder, click on the Start Menu and in the box labeled “Search program and files” type \\VoyagerAir.

Q: My device cannot play back some video files. What do I need to do to play these files?

A: There are 2 possible functions for video playback using the Voyager Air app - PLAY and PLAY WITH.

The PLAY function streams video to the default video player on your tablet or smartphone. The file types that are supported by the default player include (but are not limited to):

VIDEO: .mp4, .mov (iOS only), .m4v (iOS only)

AUDIO: .mp3, .m4a (iOS only)

IMAGE: .jpg, .png

DOCUMENTS: .doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf

The PLAY WITH function in the Voyager Air app tries to use a third-party app to play the video file, but (due to limitations imposed by Apple) works differently on iOS and Android. On iOS this function only works with downloaded files. This means you will not see PLAY WITH as an option when selecting a video file in “Folders.” If you download a video file into “Local” and then select it you should see the PLAY WITH option. Android, on the other hand, makes it possible to stream video to another video player app. You should see PLAY WITH when selecting a video file either in “Folders” or “Local.”

Compatibility with third-party video player apps varies widely. Some of these apps do not register correctly (with Android or iOS) and will not appear as choices using PLAY WITH. Some of these apps will not accept streamed data, but require that files be downloaded to “Local” before playing them.

Q: When using the iOS version of the app, when I play a video I purchased from iTunes the app opens a Safari window. Why?

A: Playback ¬of ¬video¬ files ¬purchased¬ from¬ iTunes¬ automatically opens ¬a ¬Safari ¬browser¬ window in order to play protected¬ files. They will not play with the default video player. Your¬ iPad ¬or ¬iPhone ¬must ¬also -be synced ¬with ¬iTunes ¬to ¬enable¬ you ¬to ¬play protected ¬files.

Q: Can I play videos I purchased on iTunes on my Android tablet or phone?

A: No. Protected video content from iTunes requires Safari to play, and requires that your device be synced with iTunes.

Q: My wireless reception quality varies at different points inside my home or office. What are some things I can do to improve the reception in these areas?

A:

1. Change your wireless channel

The Voyager Air can broadcast on different wireless channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. Just as you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Use the Voyager Air app to change the wireless channel.

2. Move the Voyager Air away from walls and metal objects like file cabinets

Metal objects, walls, and floors will interfere with your drive’s wireless signals. The closer your drive is to these obstructions, the more severe the interference, and the weaker your connection will be.

3. Position your Voyager Air in a central location

When possible, place your Voyager Air in a central location in your home or office. If your drive is against an outside wall of your home, the signal will be weak on the other side of your home. If your drive is on the first floor and your client device (tablet, smartphone, laptop or desktop) is on the second floor, try to place the drive high on a shelf in the room where it is located.

4. Change the orientation of the Voyager Air drive

There are two internal antennas on the Voyager Air, one located on each side of the drive, and wireless signals are often directional. Try rotating the Voyager Air clockwise or counter-clockwise to improve wireless reception.

5. Reduce wireless interference

The wireless networking built into Voyager Air operates at a frequency of 2.4 gigahertz (GHz). Many cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, garage door openers, and other wireless electronics also use this frequency. If you use these wireless devices in your home, your client device (tablet, smartphone, laptop or desktop) might not be able to "hear" your Voyager Air over this interference.

Q: Can I use the wireless connection or ethernet connection to my Voyager Air when the Voyager Air is also connected to my computer via USB?

A: No, when the Voyager Air is connected to a computer via USB both the wireless connection and ethernet connection must be disabled.

Q: When I remove my USB connection, my Voyager Air will not allow me to reconnect wirelessly for approximately 1-2 minutes. Is this normal?

A: Yes, this is normal. After removing a USB connection, the Voyager Air server must reboot which takes approximately 75 seconds.

Q: Is my Voyager Air resistant to damage from falling or dropping?

A: The hard disk drive used in your Voyager Air has the same built in protections as a hard disk drive used in laptops. However, users should take proper care not to drop their Voyager Air or allow it to receive impacts, especially when the unit is powered on.

Q: Is the app required to use my Voyager Air with Android devices and Apple iOS devices?

A: No, the app is not required. You can use a standard SAMBA-based file browser utility (like “FileBrowser” for iOS or “ES File Explorer” for Android) to navigate your Voyager Air once you are connected. Please note that the video streaming performance using such a utility may not be as good as that when using the Voyager Air app.

Q: If I use the reset feature on my Voyager Air will I lose my stored data?

A: No, the reset feature was intended for situations when you have enabled a wireless password but forgotten it. Using reset only disables the wireless password, and does not change any data or other settings.

Q: I use my Voyager Air with multiple devices that require different partition formatting. Can my Voyager Air support multiple partitions that are formatted with different file systems?

A: Yes, the Voyager Air drive and app both support multiple partitions that can be formatted with different file system.

Q: My Voyager Air occasionally prompts a CHKDSK scan when I reconnect it via USB. Is my data corrupted?

A: No, this is normal and is a byproduct of the Paragon file system used by the Voyager Air server. Corsair recommends using system tray eject (Windows) or Eject (MAC) before disconnecting the Voyager Air USB connection which will minimize these occurrences. When using the Voyager Air as a NAS device, power the device off before removing it from the network.

Q: How long does my Voyager Air take to charge the battery?

A: Your Voyager Air wall charger and car charger are rated at 5 volts, 2 amps for fast charging of your Voyager Air. Charging time using the wall charger or car charger is approximately 2 hours. Charging via a USB connection will take significantly longer and the unit will only charge if the Voyager Air is not in use due to the low charging capability of USB ports.

Q: Can I set a password for my Voyager Air?

A: Yes, the Voyager Air can be password protected for wireless access. See page 3, section C of the user manual for instructions on setting your password. The password does not apply in USB mode.

Q: How many devices (clients) can my Voyager Air support in wireless mode?

A: The Voyager Air can support up to 8 clients for simple file and music streaming. The unit can support up to 5 users streaming HD video.

Q: How should I remove my Voyager Air from my PC , MAC, or network?

A: Corsair recommends using system tray eject (Windows) or Eject (MAC) before disconnecting the Voyager Air USB connection. When using the Voyager Air as a NAS device, power the device off before removing it from the network.

Q: I frequently see voyager-thumbs.db files written to my Voyager Air. Are these files needed and can I delete them?

A: These hold the pre-rendered thumbnail images, and deleting them doesn’t cause problems (but will slow things down a bit next time you view the folder using the app).

Q: I do not wish to have a Recycle Bin on my Voyager Air. Is it safe to delete this folder?

A: Yes, it is safe to delete the entire Recycle Bin folder. You can turn off the Recycle Bin for the Voyager Air using the Recycle Bin’s “Properties” function.

Q: Can I delete the folder called System Volume Information?

A: Yes, it is safe to delete the entire System Volume Information folder.

Archived