Corsair Community

CUE and Steam incompatibility & controller freezing issue FIX.

So about a month ago I received my k63 wireless keyboard and dark core mouse and shortly after a wired void pro headset. Best keyboard, mouse, and headset I've used, hands down BUT I had a problem that plagued me for almost the entire month I had it. I searched and searched for a solution, even reinstalled windows 10 thinking my OS was broken/corrupted. Took me like 2 weeks before I figured out it was CUE/ Corsair Drivers conflicting with Steam and causing my Xbox One controller to constantly freeze up mid game and become unresponsive, as well as Steam itself freezing up frequently. Also caused a lot of weird disconnects with my other USB devices. Did a lot of research and sounds like it's a known issue, Corsair knows about it and is doing it's best to get a fix out but sounded like the Steam people weren't much help. Steam is the culprit but Corsair says it might take a couple months to fix on their end. I updated to the latest beta update of both CUE and Steam, but the problem still persists. A thread of another user gave me a clue where he narrowed it down a driver in the device manager that was causing it but I don't believe he messed with it thinking that it might cause more problems. The name is Corsair virtual input device. I wondered what would happen if I uninstalled disabled it(if worst came to worse I could just uninstall the drivers and do a clean install) It wouldn't let me disable it at first so I uninstalled it and clicked the box that says delete driver software. It disappeared for a moment then came back with a yellow mark then I went back into properties and was finally able to disable it. Restarted my PC and I was expecting that one of my corsair devices would stop working but my mouse, keyboard, and headset still work fine. I don't use all of the advanced features in the CUE software so there might be some things that don't work that I haven't tried but so far so good. Lighting still works too. And now Steam and the Xbox One controller work perfectly. Took me so long to figure out and I didn't feel like waiting for an patch/update and figured I would save other people the trouble I went through.

1.) It's definitely not a Steam issue as they've claimed - it's an issue with their drivers/CUE...I've verified this by completely closing steam and still having any program that queried ANY USB controller freeze up my system (even the USB control panel) as long as the USB controller AND my K55 keyboard controller were plugged into the same system at the same time (Even bought a powered hub, so it's not a power/mobo issue) - unplugging the keyboard caused the system to instantly become responsive.

2.) The only way to "solve" this issue was to disable their HID drivers - unfortunately, as you've probably already found out, this locks the keyboard into the default lighting pattern and disables any extra functionality (media keys, macros, custom lighting etc. all require the HID drivers/CUE software).

So I'm left with the option of my "gaming" keyboard becoming a basic keyboard with zero extra functionality or physically unplugging the keyboard before launching a game that uses a USB controller. Corsairs "solution" to this problem is to pass the buck to Valve, rather than admit there's a problem with their drivers/firmware and actually implement a competent testing procedure to fix it for their paying customers. I have NEVER had issues like this with any other peripheral.

I have the same problem. My Thrustmaster TX becomes highly unstable and the game controller program (joy.cpl) does not start or freezes (not responding). But once I disable or remove CUE it's all fine and dandy again. I sure hope this issue is soon resolved.

So it does appear that macros no longer work with my fix but all the lighting presets still do. Which I can live with since I only used a couple of macros for 1 or 2 games. Mouse DPI settings still work too. So I think it's a fair trade off since I use my controller a lot more than the keyboard and mouse. If someone comes across this thread in a month or two and can confirm that this issue has finally been fixed please let me know.

If corsair had older drivers archived for download I wonder if you could find an older driver for the corsair virtual input device that doesn't have this issue and replace the driver while keeping the newest version of CUE? But it doesn't seem like they allow driver downloads outside of whats included the the CUE software...

If corsair had older drivers archived for download I wonder if you could find an older driver for the corsair virtual input device that doesn't have this issue and replace the driver while keeping the newest version of CUE? But it doesn't seem like they allow driver downloads outside of whats included the the CUE software...

I don't know if that would change anything...it sounds like something with USB polling was changed in more recent Windows updates, and they never modified their drivers to compensate for this, so it creates some resource/assignment contention or something when USB controllers are plugged in simultaneously. They definitely need to fix this, but as long as they continue to maintain that it's a "Valve" problem, and not an obvious flaw with THEIR HID drivers, nothing will change.

In the short term I have disabled all dynamic lighting and use only Static lighting on my mouse and keyboard, this allows me to use my controller without it crashing Steam but if I enable my RGB lighting it goes back to crashing.

It is definitely not a Steam issue, as they have been informed of and ignored multiple times. It also has caused issues with the Blizzard Launcher taking a much longer time to open, causing Dark Souls 3 to black screen when first opened, etc.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am also having what sounds like the same issue except it happens when I try to load certain emulators (Retroarch, Dolphin etc.) If I have the USB receiver dongle plugged in, they will hang indefinitely (Not Responding) but as soon as I unplug the USB dongle, they begin operating normally.

I'm surprised no one mentioned but a usable workaround is to use the K63 in Bluetooth mode. I would obviously like the product to work in normal mode without causing major issues with other applications tho.. any word on a fix?

• 3 weeks later...

If you check my post history, you'll see that it's been a battle for Corsair to even own up to this being their issue and not Steam. Regardless, even if it was a Steam issue, how can you market a gaming keyboard and be incompatible with the leading PC platform out there?

Anyway, if you look at previous threads, they've mentioned that they're addressing this in a CUE firmware update soon (this was months ago). I've since got rid of any Corsair keyboards, so I'm not sure if this update is already out or not. I'm assuming you guys are on the latest firmware and it's not fixed yet.

Yeah I read the same thing where they said they were working on a fix and said it would be out "soon". That was like 6 months ago.. and guess what I just tested to see if the issue was fixed in the latest beta release and... yeah.. no dice. So I have to continue to use the fix I found out about which does indeed solve the issue but makes lighting, dpi, and macros unusable. Thanks for nothing Corsair! I really don't understand... they make such good hardware but can't make software to save their lives.

Yeah I read the same thing where they said they were working on a fix and said it would be out "soon". That was like 6 months ago.. and guess what I just tested to see if the issue was fixed in the latest beta release and... yeah.. no dice. So I have to continue to use the fix I found out about which does indeed solve the issue but makes lighting, dpi, and macros unusable. Thanks for nothing Corsair! I really don't understand... they make such good hardware but can't make software to save their lives.

Hi Neo. What exactly is the fix that you are using? Could you link me or give me a quick explanation?

From reading though this thread, it was mentioned that disabling their HID drivers is a fix.. when I look under HID in device manager I have a ton of things listed and none of them I was able to identify as Corsair. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The items to disable are HID compliant consumer control device, HID compliant system controller, HID compliant vendor defined device. Yes there are many of them and it's hard to determine which belongs to which device but there is an easy way to figure it out. Go to devices and printers find your device go to properties then go to the hardware tab now you can see all of them that are associated with that device and open the properties of each easily and disable them without doing it blindly thru device manager. And if corsair ever fixes this then it's super easy to undo.

I forgot to mention, I am not sure whether you would have to still do what I said to do in my very first post in conjunction with my "newer" fixes. Keep that in mind. Also if you want to completely undo all the fixes and simply re-enabling everything doesn't work then just uninstall CUE/ICUE then reinstall it that should reset everything but unless they fix it then you will probably end up having to apply these fixes again.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought K55 about a week ago but when I connect it, Steam crashes if I use a controller at the same time. So frustrating. I disconnect the keyboard, and replace it with a G19 from Logitech and everything works just fine.

Have you heard if Corsair are working on a fix, or if the only way to fix it is by using non Corsair products? I need my macros, and I need to use Steam with controller on a daily basis…

• 2 months later...
I'm having an issue as well, a lot of programs take forever to start up unless I uninstall the HID Compliant devices, but then my Corsair hardware doesn't work correctly. Any word on it getting fixed yet? This problem only started happening when I got the K55 keyboard. Edited by SpazSB

• 4 weeks later...
I really hope there is a fix for this coming. OP's solution didn't work for me and it really sucks having to get up and unplug the dongle every time I want to use the controller. Especially since so many games use a combination of the controller AND the keyboard, rendering this keyboard useless for those. What a joke for such an expensive piece of hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving this, i only recently stumbled onto this while using Steam In-Home Streaming to a Steam Link with Steam Controller.

(Controller disconnects at random intervals)

Has anyone tried the BIOS mode on compatible Corsair Keyboards? this disables features and appears to revert the keyboard back to only static lighting etc.

I was testing using a ps4 controller and direct usb, when the issue occurred i was able to change this switch to BIOS and continue gaming.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for reviving this, i only recently stumbled onto this while using Steam In-Home Streaming to a Steam Link with Steam Controller.

(Controller disconnects at random intervals)

Has anyone tried the BIOS mode on compatible Corsair Keyboards? this disables features and appears to revert the keyboard back to only static lighting etc.

I was testing using a ps4 controller and direct usb, when the issue occurred i was able to change this switch to BIOS and continue gaming.

What BIOS mode? How do you switch it? I have since picked up a Logitech G613 on sale to avoid having to deal with this unresolved issue.

• 2 weeks later...
What BIOS mode? How do you switch it? I have since picked up a Logitech G613 on sale to avoid having to deal with this unresolved issue.

So on the front edge of the keyboard where the usb cable is attached, there is a switch to change the polling/refresh of the keyboard.

It should have some reference to MilliSeconds on it, (1, 2, 4, 8) and the Fifth setting after "8" setting is BIOS mode.

In this mode the Scroll Lock indicator will flash, this is said by Corsair to be intended for PC's that require input at BIOS level.

I believe it turns the keyboard into a simple USB input device, and it disables MOST animations and dynamic key lighting.

By switching the keyboard to this, and then straight back, i seem to have better luck using my Steam Controller.

However my pc is having other issues so i will be wiping and fresh installing again soon regardless. :mad:

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any luck with this yet? The only work-around that I've found is restarting the pc, and making sure the controller connects before steam loads up. Total p.i.t.a. Love my k63/dark core/hs70 combo but this damn near makes me want to sell them all.

• 1 month later...

Kinda frustrating that this issue still persists almost a year later. Is it safe to assume Corsair won't be fixing this?

As of now the only workaround I can find is to unplug the keyboard whenever I launch Steam and turn on my controller, then plug it back in once everything loads up.