The Corsair User Forums

The Corsair User Forums (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/index.php)
-   Solid State Drives (SSD) (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   When will Corsair release the MP510 update for the Phison E12? (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183480)

Snatchface 12-14-2018 10:51 AM

When will Corsair release the MP510 update for the Phison E12?

Seems like it offers substantial performance gains and other drive manufacturers have already released. Any idea when this is coming?

hewett 03-25-2019 11:15 PM

There is a new firmware ECFM12.2 for the Phison controller.

Will we see an update soon for Force MP510?

hewett 03-29-2019 06:01 AM

not much participation in this forum ?

MecII 03-29-2019 08:47 AM

Great question, looking for the same information. I just came to the site because I am looking to purchase this and comparing it to the Silicon Power P34A80 which I understand is already running on the newer firmware.

taCrs 04-01-2019 05:49 PM

From AnandTech's P34A80 review: "Corsair seemingly hasn't provided a firmware update for one of their SSDs since they were using SandForce controllers years ago".

Seeing that and the dead "SSD Firmware Update" forum here, it's pretty clear there are zero chances Corsair will provide any kind of performance improvement firmware updates (for MP510 or whatever else they re-sell).

hewett 04-03-2019 05:26 AM

A few other brands are shipping 12.2 and providing updates

Corsair Rick 04-03-2019 01:13 PM

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know that we definitely do have an update planned! It will be 12.2, but I don't have an exact date to give at the moment. It will be available through the SSD Toolbox in the near future.

We definitely do update all our SSDs as needed, but unfortunately it hasn't been as widely publicized as iCUE updates for instance. If you don't have the drive and even sometimes a specific batch of a drive, you wouldn't see the update. Hope this helps!

taCrs 04-03-2019 01:54 PM

I'm glad to be wrong with the pessimistic view. Thanks for the update.

hewett 04-03-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corsair Rick (Post 1000119)
Just wanted to let you know that we definitely do have an update planned! It will be 12.2, but I don't have an exact date to give at the moment. It will be available through the SSD Toolbox in the near future.

Thank you. Two questions for you:

1. why not allow download of separate update program? Our office has many of these.

2. will this update be data-destructive?

Corsair Rick 04-05-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewett (Post 1000180)
Thank you. Two questions for you:

1. why not allow download of separate update program? Our office has many of these.

2. will this update be data-destructive?

Sorry, not sure what you mean about the first question.

We always recommend to either back up your data or do a fresh install for a firmware update. It's always best to be on the safe side. In the past, at least in my own experience, our firmware updates haven't caused any data loss or issues.

hewett 04-06-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corsair Rick (Post 1000354)
Sorry, not sure what you mean about the first question.

We always recommend to either back up your data or do a fresh install for a firmware update. It's always best to be on the safe side. In the past, at least in my own experience, our firmware updates haven't caused any data loss or issues.

(1.) I mean an independent firmware update program for download, without the need for the Toolbox.

(2.) Firmware 12.1 update wiped all data. Will 12.2 update wipe data?

Corsair Kevin 04-08-2019 07:58 PM

Trying to get some information on this for you, but it's likely to be data destructive. I will update as more information comes about.

Yemble 04-18-2019 07:51 AM

F/W update for RAID-0...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin (Post 1000820)
Trying to get some information on this for you, but it's likely to be data destructive. I will update as more information comes about.

Well I've been wondering about this myself, ever since recently building my new i9-9900K Aurus Master Z390 rig. My original plan was to use a pair of Corsair 960Gb MP510 M.2 drives as RAID-0 for build, partitioned into several logical drives for Windows 10. After some research, I concluded that this might not be the wisest decision and so I invested in a third 512Gb Samsung Evo 970 Plus, for the OS boot.

I stuck with the RAID-0 on the MP510's for data oriented apps, like Photoshop.

It all works well and ATTO testing has shown that the write performance on RAID-0 is almost identical to read performance, which is itself almost identical to the read performance of the non-RAID drive. Writes on the non-RAID 970 EVO Plus lag behind reads.

So the only real issue is what to do about firmware updates on the MP510 drives?

If the data will be lost anyway, then it becomes a moot point, as a backup/restore to/from my NAS will become a necessity, however, if data can be retained on RAID-0, then I would like to know how?

It just seems inconceivable to me that SSD vendors have not yet worked out a method for upgrading drives in a RAID set. I mean to say, that RAID is not exactly a ground breaking concept on PC motherboards in 2019.

hewett 04-23-2019 10:09 AM

Any update?

Corsair Kevin 04-29-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yemble (Post 1001825)
Well I've been wondering about this myself, ever since recently building my new i9-9900K Aurus Master Z390 rig. My original plan was to use a pair of Corsair 960Gb MP510 M.2 drives as RAID-0 for build, partitioned into several logical drives for Windows 10. After some research, I concluded that this might not be the wisest decision and so I invested in a third 512Gb Samsung Evo 970 Plus, for the OS boot.

I stuck with the RAID-0 on the MP510's for data oriented apps, like Photoshop.

It all works well and ATTO testing has shown that the write performance on RAID-0 is almost identical to read performance, which is itself almost identical to the read performance of the non-RAID drive. Writes on the non-RAID 970 EVO Plus lag behind reads.

So the only real issue is what to do about firmware updates on the MP510 drives?

If the data will be lost anyway, then it becomes a moot point, as a backup/restore to/from my NAS will become a necessity, however, if data can be retained on RAID-0, then I would like to know how?

It just seems inconceivable to me that SSD vendors have not yet worked out a method for upgrading drives in a RAID set. I mean to say, that RAID is not exactly a ground breaking concept on PC motherboards in 2019.

It may not be so much that it isn't possible, as much as it's a precautionary measure so people don't wind up losing important data. Considering the inherently volatile nature of memory and storage, any measures to ensure data safety and retention should be taken.