Corsair Community

Suggestions Thread - Adding Functionality

BlazzedTroll

I would like to open a thread for people to start suggesting functionality for the CUE software. It's still pretty new and buggy, I thought we were just hanging but after following some posts Corsair James made, I can see the devs are actually hard at work trying to solve a wide range of problems. I would like to see some small functionality additions with each update, instead of just bug fixes. However, I don't think we can expect devs to brainstorm functionality updates while fixing bugs. Lets brainstorm ideas for them. The software is still new, and I think it has a lot of room to grow as people develop amazing lighting/macros for the boards.

I'll get the ball trolling.

Idea 1.

I would like to see an option to select which keys qualify "on key press". Currently, AFAIK, when you set a lighting to activate on key press, it activates for any key in the group. I would like to have the option to select what key press activates it. I've seen people achieve this effect, though I have been unable to duplicate it, and the profiles are K70 not K95 so I can't reverse engineer. The converter isn't working for me atm. Either way, a simpler way would always be appreciated.

Edit: Also, adding same idea to "on key release" would be great as well. As well as adding an option for "while a key is pressed". In one of my profiles I want to have the keys lighting in a pattern when any of the WASD keys are pressed. I have it said to start on press, and end on release. However, if I am holding W and then I press A and then release W, the keys stop lighting while I hold A. This is common for movement in games. Holding two keys at once for a moment before using just one. I think if I used the assignments page and assigned the keys to be themselves and activate lighting while pressed it would work around this. But again, adding functionality is the main purpose of this thread, not simply finding work around solutions. This doesn't mean I am opposed to work around solutions, they are welcome as I had said below. Suggestions of any kind are great, whether it's how you achieve something on the current release, or how you wish to achieve it in the future.

Idea 2.

Type Lighting per mode or even per selected keys. I have a profile I've been making for Mass Effect, and I would like to have key presses while I'm in the second mode (in a vehicle) start a ripple. I don't want it to continue in the first mode (walking), because it would get distracting.

This is similar to the newest update to CUE that now allows each mode to have their own lighting groups. I think as people develop more complex profiles, allowing each mode to essentially be independent of other modes will be awesome. Of course, we can always use the "Copy to all Modes" feature when we want something to remain constant.

Idea 3.

Adding mode switch as a key press. Like in the keystrokes, be able to set M1 M2 M3, or mode cycle. For the same profile, I want to set a G-key to be the E key (Enter Vehicle) and M2, so that when I go to enter vehicle I can use the G-key as one press to switch my mode to the vehicle mode, and still enter the vehicle with one press rather than the current 2 key solution. In the second profile I'll set the key to Q (Exit Vehicle) and M1. The easiest implementation of this I can think of is to add mode switching to the macro recording options. Currently if I record the macro to be "E M2" when I press M2 it switches modes instead of recording it. Allowing it to even be an independent macro would let me select "Enable second macro on release" and chain them together.

These are just a few of the things I have thought "Hey, this would be cool to do" then not been able to figure out a quick way to implement it. As I said, some people have found other solutions to some of these ideas, but more functionality may lead to better solutions for more elegant ideas. One way I know some of these can be done is through C#. I've seen people do amazing things by actually coding the profiles themselves. I'd like to get into this and I have a background in coding but it seems like it's a lot of work and I'm still just getting used to the CUE, no need to overload myself.

I'll continue to log ideas I have here, feel free to add your own, or solutions to ideas posted here. Hopefully in time the "Enhancements" section of the updates will grow larger and the "Fixes" will grow smaller. I've not seen any threads dedicated to this sort of things, so my apologies if it's a re-post. I did a little search; I think I'm in the clear.

Would like to have mode where light effect would complete whole loop/time before starting a new one.

Example: If I want cool down indicator to a key and I make it turn red for 15 seconds after key press.

As it is now, 15 second turning red works, but If you hit the same key within the 15 seconds it will reset the countdown which ruins the whole idea.

(Or maybe that is doable already, but I haven't found it)

I'll copy this over from my post in another thread.

1. The mute key as a toggle, which should also read the state from the windows volume controller. That's really an example that could be applied to a broader range. Basically, simple IF loops, but easily integrated within CUE for those without any programming knowledge.

2. Being able to set the reactive typing to certain keys only, or have multiple styles for multiple areas.

3. Make keypress A/B/C start a pattern on X/Y/Z keys. As a loose example: if I held W and wanted the numpad to turn green while it was held.

4. I hate that grouping keys and adding a ripple makes it play from the same spot every time. It'd be nice to be able to control the start and end positions of certain effects.

5. A preview button in every lighting window. I don't want to have to press okay to test the new pattern when I'm making fine adjustments, only to instantly re-open the menu.

6. An easier way to create multi-step gradients. I hate the node-adding at the minute when you're doing multiple colour gradients. It'd be nice to have an option to say:

# of nodes:

Initial brightness of nodes:

Node colours (colour picker with several banks):

That last one would be the most time saving. If you had, for example, a gradient that was red, white, blue, white, green etc, you could just click the order of the colours that you wanted, rather than having to edit each node individually. Alternatively, if you wanted a strobe with 10 steps, you could select white and blue, with an option to repeat for all nodes.

Would like to have mode where light effect would complete whole loop/time before starting a new one.

Example: If I want cool down indicator to a key and I make it turn red for 15 seconds after key press.

As it is now, 15 second turning red works, but If you hit the same key within the 15 seconds it will reset the countdown which ruins the whole idea.

(Or maybe that is doable already, but I haven't found it)

With LUA scripting support in the future you should be able to do that pretty easily I guess.

And I agree with some of your points above as well AJBeard. Especially #5 & 6#, those would help make things much easier for everyone/everything.

I'll copy this over from my post in another thread.

2. Being able to set the reactive typing to certain keys only, or have multiple styles for multiple areas.

3. Make keypress A/B/C start a pattern on X/Y/Z keys. As a loose example: if I held W and wanted the numpad to turn green while it was held.

4. I hate that grouping keys and adding a ripple makes it play from the same spot every time. It'd be nice to be able to control the start and end positions of certain effects.

I know this is a copy/paste, but I think it helps. These are the same concepts I was conveying in my post, points 3 and 4 being my 1st idea and point 2 being my 2nd idea. They aren't quite the same which is why I think it will help. Restating ideas in different ways is a great way to make sure the devs understand just what functionality we are looking for.

The reactive typing, or type lighting (as it's referred to in CUE) is a great feature, but as you said, it's really just a little feature, rather than a tool. We can say, "Make the they keys we press do something", but we can't say "Make this key do something when we press it", unless that something is a broad statement where all keys that light up are all the keys that do something, and all the keys that do something are the keys that light up.

I'm doing something just like your 3rd point now. I have my "F" key in a group with my numpad so that when I press it, it makes the health pack symbol light on the number pad. It works, but only because I don't mind the F key also lighting up and I don't care that it also lights up if I use the numpad. In other applications this may not be a desired or acceptable result.

----------------------------------------

With LUA scripting support in the future you should be able to do that pretty easily I guess.

And I agree with some of your points above as well AJBeard. Especially #5 & 6#, those would help make things much easier for everyone/everything.

Do you have any information on LUA scripting? Or perhaps the C# coding? I see these things thrown around but I haven't seen any reliable documentation on them yet. I hear LUA scripting is a future thing, but people are coding in C# now. Is this intended by Corsair or are people simply dodging Corsair completely and using there own sets of drivers and software to code the board directly?

[...]

Do you have any information on LUA scripting? Or perhaps the C# coding? I see these things thrown around but I haven't seen any reliable documentation on them yet. I hear LUA scripting is a future thing, but people are coding in C# now. Is this intended by Corsair or are people simply dodging Corsair completely and using there own sets of drivers and software to code the board directly?

No, I have no information on LUA. Nobody does for now. Corsair is focusing on fixing all the current issues, once those are sorted they will work on adding in LUA scripting support.

I couldn't be happier about their decision actually, the software itself is already quite complex but there are a few recurring bugs. Instead of making it more difficult with LUA I support their approach of fixing all the issues first and then adding more new features.

No, I have no information on LUA. Nobody does for now. Corsair is focusing on fixing all the current issues, once those are sorted they will work on adding in LUA scripting support.

I couldn't be happier about their decision actually, the software itself is already quite complex but there are a few recurring bugs. Instead of making it more difficult with LUA I support their approach of fixing all the issues first and then adding more new features.

Definitely with you there. I'm glad to hear they have a plan for where to take it, but yes, work out the kinks we have now before adding another layer to it. It seems like a lot of the ideas here will be easier with scripting. Maybe we will just wait for that. The last patch has cut down my freezing issues by at least 95%. So I don't think we are that far from seeing old features become basically without bugs, and new features starting to be released.

• 2 months later...

Idea 2.

Type Lighting per mode or even per selected keys. I have a profile I've been making for Mass Effect, and I would like to have key presses while I'm in the second mode (in a vehicle) start a ripple. I don't want it to continue in the first mode (walking), because it would get distracting.

This may not work with ripple, but it's easy to create "manual" type lighting, so that it is only in certain modes. Just set the background colour for the keys you want type lighting on. Then create a gradient effect on all those keys to go from the "heat" colour back to the background colour (on keypress, end after 1 time).

Just be sure that when you select the keys you want to do, you are manually selecting them, not selecting them by clicking a group. Otherwise, the whole group will heat at once instead of the individual keys.

• 1 year later...
Do you have any information on the C# coding? I see these things thrown around but I haven't seen any reliable documentation on them yet. I hear LUA scripting is a future thing, but people are coding in C# now. Is this intended by Corsair or are people simply dodging Corsair completely and using there own sets of drivers and software to code the board directly?

Corsair supports an SDK. For C# interface based on it, see http://cue.wyrez.org/html/T_CUE_NET_CueSDK.htm

No need for Corsair to support more than one SDK, right?

Idea 1.

I would like to see an option to select which keys qualify "on key press". Currently, AFAIK, when you set a lighting to activate on key press, it activates for any key in the group. I would like to have the option to select what key press activates it. I've seen people achieve this effect, though I have been unable to duplicate it, and the profiles are K70 not K95 so I can't reverse engineer. The converter isn't working for me atm. Either way, a simpler way would always be appreciated.

Edit: Also, adding same idea to "on key release" would be great as well. As well as adding an option for "while a key is pressed". In one of my profiles I want to have the keys lighting in a pattern when any of the WASD keys are pressed. I have it said to start on press, and end on release. However, if I am holding W and then I press A and then release W, the keys stop lighting while I hold A. This is common for movement in games. Holding two keys at once for a moment before using just one. I think if I used the assignments page and assigned the keys to be themselves and activate lighting while pressed it would work around this. But again, adding functionality is the main purpose of this thread, not simply finding work around solutions. This doesn't mean I am opposed to work around solutions, they are welcome as I had said below. Suggestions of any kind are great, whether it's how you achieve something on the current release, or how you wish to achieve it in the future.

My http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=27894&d=1487829241 profile for K95 RGB shows creation of key press and key release events associated with lighting on OTHER keys, and since this is supported natively in CUE 2 already as direct functionality, no "workaround" needed. Perhaps when an official CUE 2 manual is written, the process would be made more apparent.

I figured it out pretty easily just by playing with CUE 2.

Idea 3.

Adding mode switch as a key press. Like in the keystrokes, be able to set M1 M2 M3, or mode cycle. For the same profile, I want to set a G-key to be the E key (Enter Vehicle) and M2, so that when I go to enter vehicle I can use the G-key as one press to switch my mode to the vehicle mode, and still enter the vehicle with one press rather than the current 2 key solution. In the second profile I'll set the key to Q (Exit Vehicle) and M1. The easiest implementation of this I can think of is to add mode switching to the macro recording options. Currently if I record the macro to be "E M2" when I press M2 it switches modes instead of recording it. Allowing it to even be an independent macro would let me select "Enable second macro on release" and chain them together.

CUE 1 has the ability to bind a mode switch to a key press.

CUE 2 has the ability to bind a profile switch to a key press.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27899&stc=1&d=1487857115

In CUE 2, having different profiles requires more care in sharing your work with your friends, but the effect is the same as using different modes in CUE 1.

switch.thumb.png.d161fb51060874eef851dbd420a51838.png

Archived