Corsair Community

RGB Keyboard Used for Audio/Video Editing

ekendra

Hi. I just got my K95 RGB keyboard the other day and I love it. I'm still learning the software which isn't as difficult to figure out as some reviewers reported on youtube videos and other forums.

The main reason I bought this keyboard was for MMO gaming which I do on a Windows platform. Normally I work in OSX (same machine/dual boot) with professional audio applications. Digital audio workstations (DAWs) and video editing packages are quite complex to learn and there are companies that specialize in making keyboards with color coded keys to designate the hundreds of shortcuts and help users to learn the software.

Now that I've had some experience configuring this keyboard I can't help but to think of the potential for setting up color coded areas for editing shortcuts. Sadly, in OSX (which is the industry standard for pro audio) the extra macro keys are ignored and I can't configure this thing. It only works in a limited capacity as a standard keyboard with the factory default color presets.

I'm just thinking that, by not developing software for the Mac OSX environment, Corsair is missing a huge potential market. This K95 would rock as a customizable pro audio/video editing control panel.

You could configure the colors on windows and then put that profile on the keyboard memory. That way the lighting would still work in OSX. At least I think that would work.

That would be a nice temporary workaround but, as I mentioned, when in OSX the keyboard ignores my customizations and just uses the default factory set (ie: M1 = red theme) .

You need to save the profile to the onboard memory, that will only retain the static lighting and some settings from the performance (?) tab. Any lighting effect or macro still requires CUE running to work.

A few peoples are working on drivers for Linux/OSX, you might want to check out that topic in this forum.

You need to save the profile to the onboard memory, that will only retain the static lighting and some settings from the performance (?) tab. Any lighting effect or macro still requires CUE running to work.

A few peoples are working on drivers for Linux/OSX, you might want to check out that topic in this forum.

Thanks for that. I'll have a play around and see if I can get that working. Being able to use those extra 18 macro keys on this K95 would be a major enhancement in the pro media mac environment though.

There's money to be made here, Corsair.

Last edited by Wired; Today at 01:22 PM. Reason: removed link - off topic

That link was to a freelance developer hub where, if you don't have the resources to develop an OSX client, you could hire someone to do it for you: ie . .. directly on topic.

• 2 years later...
I'm posting to this forum 2 1/2 years after the last posting.. but I wanted to remark that I am kind of surprised!!!! I thought I would find LOTS of RGB profiles that would cover Non-Gaming software uses. Case in Point: I am a big fan of DAWs, Digital Audio Workstatsions. I have Ableton Live, Cubase, Reason and lots of other MUSIC making software like Native Instruments Komplete. The problem with buying a dedicated Audio/Visual Keyboard out there is that you can only find ones that are focused on ONE software package.. That's the beauty of using one of these RGB keyboards! (I just purchased a K70 Lux RGB brown - :) I want QUIET keys!) ) because you could design the schemes for each one.. but ALAS! No one seems to have explored this! Why? Not only static displays but I'm thinking you could setup animated displays that might "roll" when Playing or recording or indicate a Highlighted keys when in different Modes of the software. "Transport" vs. "Mixer" vs. "Sequencer" for example.

Archived