Corsair Community

H115i And 750D Airflow Mounting Options?

KRMitchell

Front mounting would not be my first choice with that type of case. You are creating both an airflow restriction and temperature additive and still need to get that air out. Unless you have a compelling reason to put it in the top panel (like a furniture restriction above), I would put it there. That is still the best placement for most set-ups.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I couldn't find one like it.\

I also would like to know if you can mount the h115i in the front and if the tubes will reach.

I currently have the h115i in the top and my CPU is still gets upwards of 85C at full load. It's a 6700K running at 4.2. I think the heat is attributed to a high ambient plus I'm pulling extremely hot air out of the case generated by my 1080ti sc2, through my radiator.

I think if I pull in cool air first at the front, the cpu would be much cooler.

Just a follow-up for anyone that might be searching for the answer as I was:

You can put the H115i in the front bay of the Obsidian 750D. The hoses were just the right length.

I decided to gamble and reconfigure my tower completely last night.

I now have (140mm) fans in the top drawing air out, (1) 140mm blowing out at the back, (1) 120mm drawing in cool air from the bottom.

I mounted the fans on the inside drawing the air through the radiator.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING7 mobo.

I dropped 30c, no joke. I attribute this to fresh cool air being pulled through the radiator rather than trying to push already crazy hot air (heated by my oc'd 1080TI SC2) through the radiator.

I gamed all night and never topped 47c. The room was 28c. The last few nights with similar or cooler ambient temps the cpu would hit 75-80c.

Yes, with really big watt GPUs, especially if you have more than one, this can be the better set up. It's not so much the temperature of the air passing through it, but that you have moved the entire radiator from a very warm zone to a spot further away from the GPU heat radius. There is likely a substantial difference in local temperature. The extra heat from the CPU has to go somewhere. Most motherboard components have plenty of extra operating room, but if you have something like a first generation m.2 drive, you may see a large increase in temperature.

I don't think it will hit the throttle point, but the first gen ones already run warm. My 950 would go between 37C in Winter and 47C in Summer at idle with a very short path back to a bunch of fans on my Air 540. It is extremely temperature sensitive and I was able to knock 5C off by going to 3x120 instead of 2x140. It does respond to direct cooling and in this case, both reduced air speed (radiator restriction) and a warmer air temperature coming at it will likely show an increase. Regardless, this seems like a good trade for you.

perhaps a stupid question but do you mount it with the hoses at the bottom or the top of the radiator when front mounting in the case ?

i'm in the middle of upgrading my rig from a h80i gt to a h115 I and changing cases from a cm storm scout (version 1) that's been dremmel'd to death over the last 7+ years and a new mastercase 5 that hopefully wont need the dremmel touch XD

Archived