Corsair Community

Lighting Questions

datsyuk

Just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.

I'm trying to save some lighting effects using the predefined ones to the on board memory and it doesn't seem to be reflecting the lights I am saving.

For example, I am trying to save the rainbow wave with the light bar turned off, and when I save it to the board. The rainbow wave is there, but every light is on, regardless of which ones I turned off before saving it to the board. Am I only allowed to save 1 predefined lighting effect with no adjustments?

Also, I've noticed the hardware profiles that come on the board versus the ones done in CUE are totally different colors. The rainbow seems to have brighter (light blues, pink, etc) colors. Personally I liked the older K70 style colors better, when I do a rainbow using CUE, it looks exactly like the old style. I save that lighting effect to the board and it goes back to the brighter looking colors. It doesn't seem to care what it looks like when CUE is running, once you save it, it just seems to run the predefined rainbow wave that was originally on the board.

Couple side questions:

Are the lock light indicators really dim compared to the K70? Seems at any angle other than directly above them they are pretty dim, like 30-50% brightness.

I've noticed the Cherry MX Browns feel way softer than my K70, in a good way. It seems like it requires less force and the bump is there, but a bit smoother. Any reason for this?

In order to save a profile to board memory, you must edit and/or create the effect within the K95P HW1, HW2, or HW3 profile in CUE. You can't create one with the + trigger, then save it to the device later. Only the HW1-3 profiles will have the "Save to Device" command at the bottom of the left menu.

When you add an effect in Basic mode, it automatically applies itself to the entire board. You cannot alter this and I suspect this is where you are running into trouble. Effects created in Advanced Mode can be applied on a per key basis, but you might not be up for programming your own spiral rainbow straight away. There are other people who have made rainbow patterns for the Advanced Mode and these might be usable, but there is a limit to the number of effects you can save to the hardware. The RGB share program is also disabled as the emphasis moves to iCUE/CUE 3.

I am going to assume the above is the issue. One solution would be to upgrade to iCUE. The Basic/Adv. distinction goes away and you should have more flexibility in setting up hardware saved profiles. I am not in iCUE right now, so I cannot walk you through those steps.

The "dim" lights are a result of it sitting lower in the board. The light dims as you lean back and your degree of slouch may be the determining factor. Regardless, it is just optics and not hardware defect or strange anomaly.

Yeah, funny thing about the brown keys. I have had quite a few K70 LUX and K95P and I was trying to force myself onto speed keys the last 2 years. I ordered a Brown K95 the day it was released and I thought I was going to need to start a finger strengthening program to use it. The one I got before Christmas this year is wonderful, soft and tactile, and as you describe. Bye bye speed keys. However, I have had a lot of variability in the 5-7 models that have come into my possession. I am not aware of any specification changes to the switch, so that leaves a lot of speculative theories. Enjoy the smooth one.

In order to save a profile to board memory, you must edit and/or create the effect within the K95P HW1, HW2, or HW3 profile in CUE. You can't create one with the + trigger, then save it to the device later. Only the HW1-3 profiles will have the "Save to Device" command at the bottom of the left menu.

When you add an effect in Basic mode, it automatically applies itself to the entire board. You cannot alter this and I suspect this is where you are running into trouble. Effects created in Advanced Mode can be applied on a per key basis, but you might not be up for programming your own spiral rainbow straight away. There are other people who have made rainbow patterns for the Advanced Mode and these might be usable, but there is a limit to the number of effects you can save to the hardware. The RGB share program is also disabled as the emphasis moves to iCUE/CUE 3.

I am going to assume the above is the issue. One solution would be to upgrade to iCUE. The Basic/Adv. distinction goes away and you should have more flexibility in setting up hardware saved profiles. I am not in iCUE right now, so I cannot walk you through those steps.

The "dim" lights are a result of it sitting lower in the board. The light dims as you lean back and your degree of slouch may be the determining factor. Regardless, it is just optics and not hardware defect or strange anomaly.

Yeah, funny thing about the brown keys. I have had quite a few K70 LUX and K95P and I was trying to force myself onto speed keys the last 2 years. I ordered a Brown K95 the day it was released and I thought I was going to need to start a finger strengthening program to use it. The one I got before Christmas this year is wonderful, soft and tactile, and as you describe. Bye bye speed keys. However, I have had a lot of variability in the 5-7 models that have come into my possession. I am not aware of any specification changes to the switch, so that leaves a lot of speculative theories. Enjoy the smooth one.

Yeah I'm actually using iCUE already. So what I'll do for example, is select half the keys on the right side of the keyboard to do rainbow wave to the left. Then I click Save Profile To Device, pick a slot and save. Then when cycling through it's doing the rainbow to the left, but every key is lit and the colors that CUE was originally showing on it are different (the default brighter K95P colors).

Edit: When I save the rain effect and select 2 colors, they seem to be correct when swapping through the on board profiles. Same goes for weird combinations of static/custom lighting. It doesn't seem to care what I change when doing the rainbow wave though or spiral effect.

Archived