Corsair Community

Installation of H80 socket 2011. Airflow/backplate questions

mkoniako

Hi,

I'm building my first watercooled system using the specs in my profile and would appreciate som input on the installation and airflow as follows.

Q1. Does the H80 on socket 2011 require the "back plate" on the back of the moterhboard (Asus P9X79PRO), and is there any other things to consider for socket 2011/Asus P9X79?

Q2. Reading the (limited) H80 instructions, I realized that it is recommended that the air is pulled into the case through the H80, at the back of the case. But I cannot seem to find any recommendations on how to best use the other case fans to get a correct airflow through the case. My priorities are minimized noise, with good cooling.

Fan slots:

I do not want to use the two top fan slots due to possible noise which leaves:

F1. DECIDED fan-slot in the upper-back for H80 placement

F2. fan-slot in the mid-front

F3. fan-slot in the lower-front

F4. fan-slot in the bottom (beside the PSU bottom air intake)

F5. DECIDED Graphicscard (6950) will be pushing air out mid-back

As I see it, I have two options:

Alt A, H80 pulls air in (as recommended)

- F1 Air in (H80)

- F3 Air out

- F4 Air out

- F5 Air out (Graphics)

Comments: Exhaust in front might be noisy. Exhaust in bottom might push warm air to the PSU intake.

Alt B, H80 push air out

- F1 Air out (H80)

- F2 Air in

- F3 Air in

- F5 Air out (Graphics)

Comments: Not H80 as recommended. Airflow should be good. All exhaust at back should give lower noise.

Any pros/cons/comments/modification to the fan alternatives above?

Thank you!

Koniak

Some picture of my case to better explain alternative A and alternative B.

Alternative A (Described above)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3894390/Alt-A_lowres.jpg

Alternative B (Described above)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3894390/Alt-B_lowres.jpg

Fan positions without arrows above are not planned to have any fan. I'm not sure how much air from the two graphics fans, push air out the back....

Anyone have ideas on how to get good airflow with H80 installed at F1? Any ideas if Alt A or Alt B is best?

/Koniak

IMO, a fan or two exhausting out the top would not necessarily create more noise, when using the H80 as in Alt A. Quality 120mm or 140mm (if applicable) fans run at moderate speeds won't be loud, and will remove the warm air from the H80 quickly from the case. Of course, that would work best with the front fans at intake rather than exhaust, and will cool your drives better. A dedicated fan speed controller will allow you to tune the speed of the top fan(s) to an acceptable noise level, if necessary.

IMO, the H80's fans will potentially be the main source of noise, depending upon their speed. Achieving low noise with a X79 platform will be challenging, given the CPUs high TDP, but that depends mainly on your level of OC, if any.

G50EED, good point about the memory, I was forgetting the DIMM placement on X79 boards.

The H80 is spec'd at 120mm wide, same as the fan. If the DIMMs extend beyond the top of the I/O panel connectors, it won't fit. Easy to tell before mounting the cooler, fortunately. IMO, heatsinks on DIMMs are mostly for show, I don't care if DIMMs don't have them.

Are you certain the H80 will even clear the rear mounted DIMMs? Please post your results as I am upgrading to socket 2011 and I have an original H70 which I would like to keep if it will clear the DIMMs to the rear of the CPU.

I haven't decided on memory yet. Possibly I will reuse some slower memories I have (without heatsinks), before buying 4xHighspeed memories.

The least I will do is to measure the distance from the memory slots to the H80, (after installing the H80) and post the distance here.

IMO, the H80's fans will potentially be the main source of noise, depending upon their speed. Achieving low noise with a X79 platform will be challenging, given the CPUs high TDP, but that depends mainly on your level of OC, if any.

Good point about the H80 noise. Then (as you also said) I should probably have the H80 pull air into the case. This will supply colld air to the H80 and possibly let me run the H80 on lower RPM => Minimize H80 noise

IMO, a fan or two exhausting out the top would not necessarily create more noise, when using the H80 as in Alt A. Quality 120mm or 140mm (if applicable) fans run at moderate speeds won't be loud, and will remove the warm air from the H80 quickly from the case. Of course, that would work best with the front fans at intake rather than exhaust, and will cool your drives better. A dedicated fan speed controller will allow you to tune the speed of the top fan(s) to an acceptable noise level, if necessary.

Interesting point about the top fan(s). I'm still a bit worried about the of the top fan(s) "noise direction". But as you said I, with low enough RPM the noise could me minimized. And with the two front fans pulling air into the box, maybe the top fan would will have enough help from the "high presure" inside the case to make enough air go out the top fan...

I think then that I will start with Alternative A and check the result, and I can then easily flip the front fans and add a topfan if needed.

Thank you for valuable input!

/Koniak

Sounds good, you'll never know unless you try. The fan noise from top exhaust fans might bother you depending upon the location of the case relative to your seating/keyboard area, so that could be an issue. IMO, fans that are quiet running to begin with will work better than attempting to diminish fan noise from noisy fans with additional techniques.

Just an FYI, in my experience the newer CPU's and mother boards are much more particular about memory compatibility than older platforms. You can't assume that the memory you have now will automatically work with your new board and CPU. Check the memory compatibility list of your board carefully.

Just an FYI, in my experience the newer CPU's and mother boards are much more particular about memory compatibility than older platforms. You can't assume that the memory you have now will automatically work with your new board and CPU. Check the memory compatibility list of your board carefully.

The old DIMMs was a longshot, but unfortunately they did not work as you guessed. Have just ordered CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 instead.

Are you certain the H80 will even clear the rear mounted DIMMs? Please post your results as I am upgrading to socket 2011 and I have an original H70 which I would like to keep if it will clear the DIMMs to the rear of the CPU.

Correction to this post! I measured the available hight wrong and have corrected it below so no one takes the wrong decission...

The inner most fan of the H80 is above the memory slots and could be an issue depending on which case you are using.

In my case it seems to be about 45mm from socket to the fan. Including the "memory connectors" that would allow for about 47mm of total hight of the DIMMs (the left most 3 DIMMs).

Please observe that this is an estiamte and will depend highly on which Case you are using. For the Corsair Vengence memories I have also seen that there is a "low profile" version that could be used if you have less vertical space.

I have ordered the standard Vengence CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 since they should fit under the H80 according to my calculations :)

Archived