Corsair Community

PC Restarts (black screen, no BSOD) when I finish loading games

Asad Shaikh

Hi there, this is my first post (ever), so I have probably made mistakes, please help me rectify them.

Moving on, Since about two months ago, my PC has been restarting whenever I load a game, to be precise, when I'm playing Dota 2 or CSGO (That's all I play), the restart doesn't occur in main menu, but does within seconds to minutes after I finish loading and am playing a match. I purchased a new of set of 2x8GB RAM from a local shop but they've passed Windows Memory Diagnostics, tested GPU with Furmark and it didn't restart.

I live in India where the average temperature in the day is 40C (summer), considering that, my CPU, GPU, HDD temperatures are 60C, 55C, 43C respectively, which I think is normal. The restarts have increased as the average temperature increased (winter to summer), now in day, I can't game because it is sure to restart but I can play after 23:30ish because temp. in the night falls to 28-30C. I was told by the technician it's an overheating PSU and I should replace my case with Carbide Spec 01, did that, didn't work. I've checked all such errors since last 6 months, found out it happened before 2 months but in a very low amount, Event Viewer mentions them all as Critical Error, Event ID 41, Task category 63. The last report gave this.

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2018-04-23T13:35:06.495599700Z

EventRecordID 8931

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer L0L

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

CheckpointStatus 0

Appreciate your help, thank you!

Update: It restarted a minute back, I touched the exhaust of PSU at the back, it's ambient temperature, not hot at all.

Also, I read about this issue being caused by Win 10 Anniversary Update, I have the latest update, could this be a software issue? if so, why does it occur extremely rarely at night?

• Corsair Employee

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean

Whether or not the PSU would be overheating is a bit difficult to tell, and I'm not sure there's much evidence of it here.

That being said, are those temperatures you provided what you see on your desktop, or while running the game?

You might also want to test voltages on your PCI-e to make sure the 12v is operating correctly. Could also be some power protection on your motherboard. Whatever it is, the error amounts to "This system is cutting power to itself while Windows is on".

Do you have a surge protector or UPS attached to the system?

From what I understand, the electrical grid in India isn't always the most stable (that said, my experience with this is limited to Hyderabad). The load on the grid would certainly be higher during the day than at night so that could explain why you see this at night rather than during the day.

Thank you for your reply, sirs. Sorry for my late replies, I've been having exams since the past two weeks.

@DevBiker, My power supply is as follows: Plug outlet -> UPS ->Extension Board -> PSU Input. I did think of the issue you mentioned, I've tried my way around the Multiplug, around the UPS, didn't work,the restarts did occur. :( Could you suggest a way to test this?

@rschissler, No sir, not that I know of, CPU clocks are at 3292MHz, I replaced the heatsink yesterday morning with a new Intel one, now the temperatures are 40 idle and 60 gaming, this has not caused any changes in the restart issue, the PC still restarts. :(

• Corsair Employee

Hi Asad,

Aside from Windows Memory Diagnostic, could you try testing your memory with Memtest?

In regards to temperature, can you see if your BIOS has some sort of reset threshold that may be causing the system to cut power?

All of the 0's for the bugcheck generally means loss of power, so it could fall back to the PSU being the issue.

Thank you for your time Corsair Mint. I had ran Memetest for 4 passes, it showed no errors. After that, I put up my PSU for RMA, they replaced it, I just got the new one 2 days back. Since then, no restarts, so I will conclude that the PSU was faulty.

Thank you all for the help, the thread can be closed now. (I'm not sure if I should say that)

Archived