The Corsair User Forums

The Corsair User Forums (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/index.php)
-   Keyboards and Mice (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=214)
-   -   Vengeance K90 & Linux (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107194)

romeodelight 05-21-2012 12:40 PM

Vengeance K90 & Linux

Hi,

I would like to buy the Vengeance K90 keyboard.

However my Operating System is Linux (LMDE).

Will the anti-ghosting and backlight correctly operate ?

Best regards

Romeo
Brittany - France

RAM GUY 05-21-2012 01:47 PM

We have not done any extensive testing with Linux. The keyboard will function as normal, but you will have no access to the software.

glussier 05-21-2012 05:49 PM

I usually don't use my k90 with my linux box, but I made a test on Fedora just for you. All the keys fonction properly, even the multimedia key and the leds. Obviously, the only thing that do not work are the G keys and the macro keys.

RAM GUY 05-21-2012 07:53 PM

Thank you for the information.

compvter 05-26-2012 12:42 PM

Don't know how hard it would be to get G buttons to work in linux, but i know few people who didn't buy g15 or g11 keyboard because those didn't have that functionality either. Just saying it might be worth implementing, since "linux gurus" actually use more keyboard.. for example they prefer to type commands to terminal instead using GUI with mouse.

Doesn't matter to me that much (im not linux guru), but it would be nice feature to have when booting to opensuse/ubuntu.

RAM GUY 05-29-2012 04:02 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I pass this a long to the product manager.

Jason Cone 08-10-2012 07:33 AM

Bumping this to add that I would also like to see full Linux support for the K90. In fact, I found this thread because I'm in the market for a new keyboard and was researching on Google about a high-quality backlighted keyboard with functions that work on Linux.

And hey, not only are Linux guys usually tech enthusiasts, but with Valve porting Steam games over to Linux there are likely to be more Linux gamers looking for well-supported "gamer" input options (e.g., keyboards, mice).

Splitlocked 08-12-2012 11:04 AM

I have been using my K90 with Linux for some months now and there are only three things that do not work properly:
  1. G-keys/macros
  2. I get an unwelcome trailing aposrophy when I do this: [']v [letter]v [letter]^ [']^, for example "I'm" becomes "I'm'"
  3. Caps-Lock and Scroll-Lock LEDs never light up

The G-keys would make my Linux experience that much more delightful (I love the terminal and use the same commands often), and the extra apostrophes makes typing annoying.

The Caps-Lock LED is not so important because I never turn on CAPS, and I've never in my life had use for Scroll-Lock. I have also read in other threads that the CAPS and Scroll LEDs work in some distros (like Fedora), but they have never worked in any of the distros I have tried (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Arch, Gentoo, BackTrack, Sabayon).

The Num-Lock LED works.
Media keys and volume scroll works.
Windows key lock works (probably in hardware).
Backlight adjustment works (probably in hardware).
Some of the G-keys send keycodes that are recognized as other keys (G17 is Pause/Play).

I would really like it if there was support for macro recording/playback in Linux. Honestly I don't think I would have ended up with this keyboard if I knew that macros wouldn't work in Linux.

RAM GUY 08-13-2012 12:51 PM

If there is enough demand for a Linux version, we can look into it.

r2d290 08-14-2012 05:11 AM

I am also waiting for the K90 keyboard now, and I am using Ubuntu. I would realy like to use the G keys too :)

Jason Cone 08-14-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY (Post 596199)

If Corsair released some technical specs on the protocols the keyboard uses to handle the special keys I bet the Linux community would step up and do a lot of the work for you. (Not to mention spreading the word that the keyboard is Linux-friendly.)

(I received mine, today, by the way. Love the way it feels and looks. Having fully functional G and M keys would be the cherry on top.)

dhbiker 08-24-2012 04:58 AM

i registered just because of this thread...

if you add linux support for your keyboards and mices i'm pretty sure the people will buy it more since its fully functional... not like other keyboards with macro keys which are useless since there is no driver/software on linux to properly configure it... so you ed up with a heap of unused keys instead of making them functional for something

just my 2 cents

P.S. if you do add support for K90 you got a new customer

jupiter 08-30-2012 08:18 PM

Recent purchaser of the K90 and only using linux, I can confirm you that access to the G keys for custom scripts would be greatly appreciated (and advocated if done)

dispat0r 09-10-2012 03:37 PM

would be really nice to have usable G keys in linux :)

r2d290 09-12-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY (Post 596199)

As you can see, there is starting to get some people who really would like a fully opperating keyboard with G-keys on Linux.

Is there any progress in the plan of develop drivers for this? :sunglasse