Corsair Community

Appropriate module for Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 MB?

fragemann

I just purchased a GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard with an Athlon FX-53 3800+ CPU and two 512MB (TwinX) Corsair memory modules. The modules I have are part#: CMX512RE-3200LL (400Mhz, Registered) The system works with one module installed, but not both (it doesn't matter which stick I use, as long as it's in the first DIMM slot). But as soon as I put both sticks in, it won't POST (continuous, long beeps, which indicate a DRAM error). Do I have the best modules for this board? If so, does it sound like they're bad? Thanks, John Hagemann

I have the exact same motherboard (memory is TwinX1024-3200XLPT) and experienced a very similar problem. I [i]could[/i] boot with both DIMM's installed, but usually within 10 minutes, I would get a Windows (XP) bluescreen. With just one DIMM, the system ran great (although benchmark scores, when the completed, were a hair lower). This morning I removed both DIMM's and put them in the [B]other[/B] two DIMM slots... that seems to have helped a LOT! I still haven't reached my final verdict but starting to suspect a motherboard incompatability here. :confused: Try the other two DIMM slots and see if that helps.

[quote name='Rob_711']Heh, I am also having the exact same problem, I just posted another thread regarding this and then saw this thread. I am going to try and switch the modules to DIMM's 3&4 to see if that helps....I will let you know.[/QUOTE] What are your symptoms and what memory modules are you running? Did switching banks help?

[quote name='Hornswoggler']What are your symptoms and what memory modules are you running? Did switching banks help?[/QUOTE] memory is TwinX1024-3200XL PRO. I blue screen at totally random times. I has been from when I am installing windows to running windows updates to just surfing the web. Also, after this happens the BIOS is very slow to detect IDE drives if at all. I have just switched banks to 3&4 and so far so good. Normally I would have blue screened by now and I am still going ok. Now I guess the question is if leaving the memory in DIMM Slots 3 and 4, what is wrong with 1 and 3. Also, whats the difference?

[quote name='Rob_711']What a suprise...same here.[/QUOTE] I tried the other banks (banks 3 and 4), no dice. It still won't boot. I just get the long, continuous beep tone. Interestingly, if I put one DIMM in bank one and one in bank 3, it POSTs, but I get a message that the "memory is not optimized." This makes sense, I guess, since you need to pair the modules in order to get the maximum performance. It won't continue past that point. I bought some replacement memory from Crucial (their Ballistix series, which is guaranteed to work) and I'm returning the Corsair stuff. It cost almost exactly half what I paid for the Corsair stuff. Also Crucial has an actual support department, with telephone support, not just a forum for people to kick ideas around in. I've heard good things about Corsair memory, but sorry, I'm not impressed.

i have the same mobo, with twinx1024-3200XLPRO, you need to install your memory in slots 1&2 or 3&4 NOT 1&3 or 2&4 like on the A8V. I installed my memory in the first 2 slots, I believe the slots are purple. Originally I had some errors when I manually set the BIOS, now i left EVERYTHING to AUTO except for the DRAM voltage, I manually set this to +.2 for 2.7v and the CPU voltage to 1.525v. and I am very stable and happy with my benchmarks. also, install @BIOS and download the latest BIOS (F3 dated 6-11-04).

[quote name='cimerol']i have the same mobo, with twinx1024-3200XLPRO, you need to install your memory in slots 1&2 or 3&4 NOT 1&3 or 2&4 like on the A8V. I installed my memory in the first 2 slots, I believe the slots are purple. Originally I had some errors when I manually set the BIOS, now i left EVERYTHING to AUTO except for the DRAM voltage, I manually set this to +.2 for 2.7v and the CPU voltage to 1.525v. and I am very stable and happy with my benchmarks. also, install @BIOS and download the latest BIOS (F3 dated 6-11-04).[/QUOTE] I did have the latest bios and I wasnt installed on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Also, since you left everything on auto you should check your timings because I am fairly sure that this bios version will not pick up the correct times.

Hello guys, I was wondering if you move your dimms arent you losing dual channel operation?I was wondering also about the first post the guy said he had registered memory and socket 939 mobo thought you didnt need registered memory for socket 939 are they even compatible with that config? also i dont think the athlon fx 53 2.4 gigahertz and the 3800 are the same processor.Im confused about your config i just ordered my k8nsnxp-939 it is sitting right here im saving for the fx 53, I am having problems with my corsair xms3200xlpro in my temporary config 8knxp pentium 3.2 proc etc.

[quote name='fragemann']I bought some replacement memory from Crucial (their Ballistix series, which is guaranteed to work) and I'm returning the Corsair stuff. It cost almost exactly half what I paid for the Corsair stuff. Also Crucial has an actual support department, with telephone support, not just a forum for people to kick ideas around in. I've heard good things about Corsair memory, but sorry, I'm not impressed.[/QUOTE] First off, I haven't found any information stating that the GA-K8NSNXP board supports registered memory, which is what you have. Second, Corsair does have a tech support line. [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/contacts.html[/url] 1-800-205-7657 for those not wishing to bother to click on the link. I believe 888-222-4346, option 3 is tech support as well (may be wrong on the option #).

• Corsair Employee
Thanks Wired and you are correct on both counts! fragemann, I am sorry that you feel that way and I do hope things work out for you! However, the user manual is clear that the MB needs un-buffered memory!

[quote name='Wired']First off, I haven't found any information stating that the GA-K8NSNXP board supports registered memory, which is what you have. Second, Corsair does have a tech support line. [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/contacts.html[/url] 1-800-205-7657 for those not wishing to bother to click on the link. I believe 888-222-4346, option 3 is tech support as well (may be wrong on the option #).[/QUOTE] My bad on both counts. I guess I just expected their tech support number to be listed under the Support tab. However, I stand corrected. The reason I purchased registered RAM is because of this line in a recent issue of PC Magazine: "For system memory, because the Athlon 64 FX-53 uses registered (buffered) DDR memory, we chose the Corsair TwinX, which packages a pair of 512MB, low-latency, registered memory modules" Are they just wrong? I don't take what PC Mag says as gospel, but they're usually pretty accurate. In any case, I stand humbled and apologize for my rather flippant comments. Fragemann

From what I understand, socket 940 mobo's require registered RAM, while socket 939 is un-registered. Socket 939 is what unites the FX series of processors with the desktop AMD64's. FX fans rejoice because S939 can now use cheaper (and usually faster) memory!

• Corsair Employee
That is correct; and too add to this a bit more! AMD saw that many were not happy with buying new memory in addition to some limitations presented by using registered memory, so they redesigned the memory controller to support un-buffered memory! Now if this was planned or not I am not sure, but I would prefer to use un-buffered memory as I like to over clock and registered or buffered memory will not over clock as well as un-buffered memory because of the PLL Phase Lock Loop that is used in all registered memory!

[quote name='fragemann']The reason I purchased registered RAM is because of this line in a recent issue of PC Magazine: "For system memory, because the Athlon 64 FX-53 uses registered (buffered) DDR memory, we chose the Corsair TwinX, which packages a pair of 512MB, low-latency, registered memory modules" Are they just wrong? I don't take what PC Mag says as gospel, but they're usually pretty accurate.[/QUOTE] Yeah, they're usually on the ball. What issue (and preferably page #)? Did they state a part # for the mem and motherboard?

[quote name='Wired']Yeah, they're usually on the ball. What issue (and preferably page #)? Did they state a part # for the mem and motherboard?[/QUOTE] It was from the June 22, 2004 issue. It's on the web at: [url]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1602170,00.asp[/url] Last night I stuck some plain 'ol unregistered memory in my mobo and everything ran like a champ. Played Doom3 for 5 hours... Thanks again for everyone's help and I'm sorry if I came off like a jacka$$. Fragemann

[URL=http://houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=28729]Doom 3 rocks[/URL] :) I think that the CPU they were using was a socket 940, which takes FX-53 CPUs which use registered memory. Your board is a socket 939, which takes FX-53 (among others) CPUs which use unregistered memory. At least I think I've got that right.

Archived